BPAS PODCAST: 18th Sept '23, S4E9: Unsworth Out!

Interesting as always.

I'm mildly surprised that he was sacked this weekend, but I wasn't at Bromley! I suppose the Board felt that quick action was needed to salvage a top seven push. Currently it looks like 71/72 points will be needed for 7th place. That will need a sustained effort from where you are even at this early stage.

The name I was expecting to hear as the potential new manager was Kevin Maher. I'd hate to see Southed lose him if there is any way of avoiding it - they are having a bad enough time already. But the reality is that he may be out of work in a couple of weeks and he needs some job security just like anyone else.  Hee's clearly talented and has shon enormous resilience under pressure there. He'd be a catch for anybody, on paper.  But I hope for Southend's sake that he is never in the running.

If it had been a decade ago I might have made a case for Thompson, who has a decent coaching pedigree at the second and third tier level. But I think his best days may be behind him.

• Matt unfeatured this topic