BPAS PODCAST: 18th Sept '23, S4E9: Unsworth Out!

Almost a year to the day that David Unsworth's Oldham career started with a 3-0 defeat at Bromley, so it ended with the exact same result. It was not the year of the rhino.

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 6am and listen to both shows ad free.

If you'd like to advertise on the show, please email info@oafcpodcast.co.uk

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Like 1

• Matt featured this topic

Of course we will all draw a line under it.

Of course we will all get behind the new manager.

Of course nobody (unless that are brain dead and/or have an agenda) will be taking a pop at the board and ownership. 

The net cost of getting rid of Unsworth will hopefully be neutral. I’m certain if he had stayed then club income this season would have been severely reduced. No question about that. 

Ps. Of course the new manager will be under the cosh from some fans if results don’t come in good time. That’s life. Results are absolutely everything. A football club exists to win matches not provide good Pilates classes. 

Pps. Karl Robinson. NO!!! I’d boycott!

• Like 3

Just now, oafcmetty said:

Pressure is off for the new guy. DU's wank start to the season has killed off any hope of a title challenge, so all the new guy needs to do is challenge for the playoffs. If we make it, great. If we don't, then he can blame DU. Simple.

Not sure the pressure is ever really off at Oldham Athletic in the National League.

2 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Pressure is off for the new guy. DU's wank start to the season has killed off any hope of a title challenge.

I think it's unlikely, but I'd be surprised if the club wrote that off as easily as you. 

Personally, don't think the squad assembled is a million miles away from a really good one at this level. Building blocks are in place at the back and up top. A nugget of quality in midfield can really transform it.

Chesterfield are clearly settled, in a good position and well geared for the title. But they aren't the juggernaut that Notts / Wrexham were and concede goals. They're catchable, but we absolutely need a new manager bounce and a strong run of straight wins to do it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Ps. Of course the new manager will be under the cosh from some fans if results don’t come in good time. That’s life. Results are absolutely everything. A football club exists to win matches not provide good Pilates classes. 

Spot on. 

The off field is important for the community and match day experience, but the ultimate bar will always be results on the pitch. Binman even said it, you can have the best owners in the world but we all turn up for the product on the pitch- if that isn’t right, fans won’t be happy.

It was ever thus. 

I often find myself agreeing with the sentiment of the pod, because it’s well intentioned and supportive; but it does feel at odds sometimes with the reality of every football club. 

IE fans at every club drift away when you can’t a win game. If the next manager won 1 in 10 fans will drift away. You can counter that by saying, you should support Frank through think and thin, and that’s true- but the reality is, a lot won’t. 

IE fans should get behind the new manager- they will, as long as he’s doing at least ok. If he’s really struggling, he’ll be under big pressure. We’re no different to the next club. 

Anyway- let’s hope we can get something going, and finally have something to smile about. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 1

Great discussion and now we can all turn our attention to moving forward,

Something that wasn't ever going to happen as things stood.

Let's get right behind the powers that be, they'll make the perfect choice this time and turn BP into a cauldron for two very important games, if only to re-establish some kind of normality.

It's going to be noisy, let's hope the player's can feed off it and show the fan's what they're really all about,

Feeling much better now, regardless of the short term and know in the long term it's absolutely correct for the good of the club.

Good listen.

We're grateful that Frank has saved the club and the disgruntlement amongst the fans was never with the board.  I don't think the board should ever be thinking along the lines of "well if the fans aren't happy about one aspect of our project, then they're disrespecting the entire project".  Dave Unsworth was a shit manager.  Everything else the board are doing is good.  They're separate things.  In calling out Dave Unsworth, the bigger picture isn't being ignored - it's just that element was letting the bigger picture down.

Being abusive towards Frank is not on, but people are passionate about this club and should feel it's OK to make a noise about things when they're not happy.  The owners - whoever they are - are never beyond question.  We've fallen into that trap before...

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of weeks results-wise.  It might turn out that the players are actually not very good.  We've still done the absolute correct thing in getting rid of Unsworth and we need someone in who knows what he's doing, can separate the wheat from the chaff in the current squad and bring a few in.  The current squad's been assembled expensively - it shouldn't be a case of just chucking more money at the playing staff, it should be about getting the best out of what we've got and then maybe spending shrewdly.

First time I've been able to listen to the podcast in a relaxed state for a good few weeks. Andy always adds a great balance. As for this season, I think the best we can hope for is playoffs. If the new manager manages to lead us to the title, despite being handicapped by 15 points, then he/she/they will deserve a statue inside the new Spindles...

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

First time I've been able to listen to the podcast in a relaxed state for a good few weeks. Andy always adds a great balance. As for this season, I think the best we can hope for is playoffs. If the new manager manages to lead us to the title, despite being handicapped by 15 points, then he/she/they will deserve a statue inside the new Spindles...

They're building a new Spindles?! 

21 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

All teams go on a bad run at some part of the season, Chesterfield and Barnet will do also.

We will go on a decent run now and I can see us sat in the playoffs I’m the next 4 weeks.

I think there are 111 points to play for, although it’s doubtful we will go up automatically.  I do think it will be 3rd time lucky at Wembley!!!

17 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Pressure is off for the new guy. DU's wank start to the season has killed off any hope of a title challenge, so all the new guy needs to do is challenge for the playoffs. If we make it, great. If we don't, then he can blame DU. Simple.

it hasn't killed my title aspirations. infact they have acted just in time to save them..