Kings speech, EFL reform

For those who are interested in off the field stuff and clubs security

Its been many years in the making with FSA and MP Tracey Crouch Fan Led Review of the EFL.

Even OASF briefed MP Tracey Crouch directly on the then situation at BP. Its a shame Late OASF Retired director Philippa Whittaker is no longer around to see some postive steps going forward. This is her legacy not only for OAFC supporters, but those at other clubs too

Thanks to all involved up and down the country

Kings speech

Edited by underdog

On 11/7/2023 at 10:22 PM, basilrobbie said:

It's a hugely important step. and very, very satisfying. But the harder work starts now, probably.

I agree this has the potential to be very important.

Politicians of every stripe aren't very good at supervising legislation and thinking about the unintended consequences. I think BR is right -there will be much hard work to do- even assuming the bill can be brought to completion before the next election.

I can't see how this becomes a guarantee that a struggling club will continue to exist or even how a rogue incumbent owner can be forced to sell at a sensible price. It could be an important step to make some failures less likely though.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

I agree this has the potential to be very important.

Politicians of every stripe aren't very good at supervising legislation and thinking about the unintended consequences. I think BR is right -there will be much hard work to do- even assuming the bill can be brought to completion before the next election. (1)

I can't see how this becomes a guarantee that a struggling club will continue to exist or even how a rogue incumbent owner can be forced to sell at a sensible price. It could be an important step to make some failures less likely though. (2)

Good post, and on the two highlighted points :

(1) Always a risk, but Labour have consistently offered the Government a cross-party approach to getting this on the statute book. I think there is every chance of that happening, should it need to. That could possibly include "nodding it through" if a General Election comes earlier than expected. 

(2) there isn't a regulator on the planet who could promise to head off all failures. But a system of licensing backed by regular inspection reduces the risks, and I hope that DCMS all be bold and create a wide range of powers along the lines that the FSA asked for in its evidence to Crouch. We will see.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:50 AM, basilrobbie said:

Thanks @basilrobbie you have had a hard fight at Blackpool and you and your team very supportive of the groups at OAFC too.

Its great you still take time to be interested in OAFC and post on here