Today's Chron 22/11/07

Latics draws battle plan for stadium

by JANICE BARKER

OLDHAM Athletic is expected to reveal its next move tomorrow, 10 days after councillors rejected its stadium redevelopment plans.

Latics chief executive Alan Hardy said it was still locked in talks and added: “We still have one or two meetings with various organisations.

“I would hope by the end of the week to be in a position to say what we expect to do next. All kind of things are being considered.”

But he said the club — which took its plans for an £80 million refurbishment of the Sheepfoot Lane ground to the planning committee last Wednesday only to see them refused — had not ruled out doing nothing.

He said: “The owners could say, ‘That’s it. If that’s how you want to treat us, we’ll just let the club carry on, but it won’t last for long.’

“That’s an option we don’t want to see and we are still trying to make sure it’s not the outcome.”

But a spokesman for Residents’ Together, which opposed the plans, expects director Simon Corney to stick to his word that the club will not be appealing the decision.

The group told the Chronicle: “Simon Corney told fans outside the planning meeting that the club would not be appealing. Residents living near the ground were delighted to hear this and trust Mr Corney is a man of his word.

“But we believe an acceptable outcome is possible with some compromise and a more sympathetic building plan which does not include this level of high-density, high-level flats.”

Residents Together says the meeting was a good example of the democratic process in action, allowing the advice of planning officers to be questioned.

The group said: “These officers produced a report that appeared to include false mathematics on density, a petition which was signed by Donald Duck and a dog, and a computer report that predicted a queue length of four (cars) in Sheepfoot Lane. It was met by howls of laughter.”

Under-fire Bashforth to chair meeting

COUNCILLOR Steven Bashforth insists he will chair the planning committee if Oldham Athletic resubmits its £80 million stadium development proposals.

The decision to throw out the plans sparked a furious response from Latics fans who held a protest march against Oldham Council and vowed to show their disgust at the ballot box.

But, despite threats and criticism, Councillor Bashforth has remained firm that he made the correct decision and says he will chair any subsequent meetings on the plans.

His role in the saga has come under intense scrutiny. After attending meetings of Residents Together, the group that opposed the plans, he was quoted seven months ago as saying he would not chair the planning meeting that ruled on Latics plans and would leave the room and refer to his deputy.

Explaining his change of mind, Councillor Bashforth said that after meeting Latics directors several times he felt the situation had been balanced.

“I felt that if there’s any question over the balance of listening to both sides of the story, then I don’t think there’s a problem there,” he said.

He acknowledged a complaint has been made about his conduct to the council chief executive, the Standards Board and the local government ombudsman.

Councillor Bashforth commented: “I don’t believe that I have done anything wrong.

“I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t chair the meeting.”

Criticism has also been made of Councillor Bashforth’s involvement in printing leaflets promoting one of the residents’ group’s meetings.

He insisted he did not pay for the leaflet but did organise its printing, although he has done this to help numerous groups.

The group said: “These officers produced a report that appeared to include false mathematics on density, a petition which was signed by Donald Duck and a dog, and a computer report that predicted a queue length of four (cars) in Sheepfoot Lane. It was met by howls of laughter.”

That is a massive own goal from The Residents and they seem to be trying to make an enemy of the Councils very own experts. People who have worked with them and OAFC over several years and in hundreds of meetings.

I understand that it has been demonstrated (to those who couldn't be arsed to check earlier before making a decision) that the numbers were accurate and if that is the case, then their argument is dead in the water. Which brings me on to Donald Duck. As was mentioned by Geoff Willerton at the Meeting, the Petition just shows a level of Support for the application and would not sway the decision either way.

What the Residents seem to be forgetting is that proper traffic studies were done (and they had copies of the final version in October but chose to remain silent) which were challenged by experts and re-verified over a period of time. They also fail to realise that improvements are being made to road junctions which will ultimately make their lives easier than they are now. That is why the queues will be manageable.

I don't recall many laughs either. The Meeting was attended impeccably and there was no dissent either way - even when the result went against the expectations of the vast majority.

Once again, they are showing themselves to have invalid and weak arguments whereas Latics Fans are demonstrating solid reasoning behind their justifiable complaint about the decision.

Nice to see the LGO is on Cllr Bashforth's trail as well! :)

The lady who spoke for the residents said that the petition was signed by her neighbour's dog.

Now I wonder who could have done that? I suggest it may have been her neighbour. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that her neighbour also signed Donald Duck, as well.

The group told the Chronicle: “Simon Corney told fans outside the planning meeting that the club would not be appealing. Residents living near the ground were delighted to hear this and trust Mr Corney is a man of his word.

A bit like Bashforth was true to his then <_<

Residents Together says the meeting was a good example of the democratic process in action, allowing the advice of planning officers to be questioned.

Watch out Peter Kay.

Also in tonights Chron...see the final para....

‘Garage scheme rushed through’

by BEATRIZ AYALA

A GRASSCROFT man has claimed proper consideration was not given to a planning application because of the discussions over the Boundary Park proposals at last week’s planning meeting.

Michael Crebbin, of High Grove Road, said he felt cheated after councillors approved a resubmitted application for a detached double garage in Westfield Drive, to which he had objected.

The application, originally approved in October, 2006, was resubmitted after it was found to differ from original plans such as its position and changes to its entrance.

Saddleworth Parish Council recommended refusal two months ago but planning officers said it should be approved.

Last week’s meeting saw a two-hour debate over plans from the development of the Oldham Athletic site.

Lengthy

Mr Crebbin (68) claims photos shown at the meeting were not of the current build and he added: “The owners moved the garage two metres from its original site and had to build it up 5ft because of the steep drive, so the roof level is 5ft higher.

“The photo shown wasn’t of the garage in question. There was inadequate consideration because of the Latics application.”

Mr Willerton said: “The council’s planning committee spent a lengthy time considering the Oldham Athletic proposals as they were major applications.

“However, this was not to the detriment of other matters. The application was heard in accordance with procedures and adequate time was spent on it.”

Agent Warren Greenway, director of Wildesign, said: “The planning officers are more qualified than the councillors to make a decision and they recommended approval.”

I don't recall many laughs either. The Meeting was attended impeccably and there was no dissent either way - even when the result went against the expectations of the vast majority.

I did feel the need to snigger when that woman speaking for the residents speculated that the new apartments would be let out for stag and hen dos thus causing social problems in the area. From the silly to the ridculous!

Edited by maddog

I did feel the need to snigger when that woman speaking for the residents speculated that the new apartments would be let out for stag and hen dos thus causing social problems in the area. From the silly to the ridculous!

Damn. Should have put that in my letter :(

The lady who spoke for the residents said that the petition was signed by her neighbour's dog.

Now I wonder who could have done that? I suggest it may have been her neighbour. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that her neighbour also signed Donald Duck, as well.

Nicking my posts Mr D? Whatever next

The people who are fighting the stadium are ridiculous, end of.

They claim they want a compromise but they want nothing but it all their own way. They want a stadium with no apartments and with loads of concessions made by the club on top of that. They are incredibly unreasonable and tbh I would absolutely love it if we managed to get it passed without much change just so that they are miserable, the moaning old tw@s!

:angry:

They claim they want a compromise but they want nothing but it all their own way. They want a stadium with no apartments and with loads of concessions made by the club on top of that. They are incredibly unreasonable and tbh I would absolutely love it if we managed to get it passed without much change just so that they are miserable, the moaning old tw@s!

:angry:

Not siding with the residents at all, but I know some of them want something other than flats that could be good for the community, like a bowling alley (which has been used as a point of interest in comparing Oldham with other neighbouring towns) or something else which will be of benefit for everyone.

Not siding with the residents at all, but I know some of them want something other than flats that could be good for the community, like a bowling alley (which has been used as a point of interest in comparing Oldham with other neighbouring towns) or something else which will be of benefit for everyone.

there is a bit of truth in that.

how are the residents of oldham going to benefit from a conference suite,or even the hotel.

the leisure centre will get used yes.

but like someone else has said,i think the whole project would of got greater backing from all of oldhams communitys if it gave us something we havent got.ie cinema complex,bowling alleys and so on.

we know wht tta want to build it as they do.but not everyone does.

there is a bit of truth in that.

how are the residents of oldham going to benefit from a conference suite,or even the hotel.

the leisure centre will get used yes.

but like someone else has said,i think the whole project would of got greater backing from all of oldhams communitys if it gave us something we havent got.ie cinema complex,bowling alleys and so on.

we know wht tta want to build it as they do.but not everyone does.

It does't matter what we would of built, someone would of been upset about it. There's an old saying "you can't always please everyone".

It does't matter what we would of built, someone would of been upset about it. There's an old saying "you can't always please everyone".

thats true.and especially in this case.

but we only see things in blue and tangerine so to speak.we know why the club wants this development the way it is.

the people of oldham have been crying out for other leisure facilities for years,like ashton and bury,all im trying to say is that if those kind of amenities were incorporated into the scheme,you may have got more backing from the wider community,and maybe a lot more people would be willing to help fight the decision,as it is its basically the clubs supporters,and a couple of thousand others.

Conferencing, hotel and banqueting facilities are all interlinked, especially when you have a large car parking facility – if you are going to do one, there should be synergies and opportunities to upgrade packages. Also it all attracts, to be slightly snobbish, a certain type of customer. The residents would have kittens at a bowling alley, do you think they really want car loads of teenagers driving up and down the road at 11o’clock at night, doing the things that car loads of teenagers sometimes do? I’m not casting aspersions here, but that would be the immediate fear.

Conferencing, hotel and banqueting facilities are all interlinked, especially when you have a large car parking facility – if you are going to do one, there should be synergies and opportunities to upgrade packages. Also it all attracts, to be slightly snobbish, a certain type of customer. The residents would have kittens at a bowling alley, do you think they really want car loads of teenagers driving up and down the road at 11o’clock at night, doing the things that car loads of teenagers sometimes do? I’m not casting aspersions here, but that would be the immediate fear.

i think your missing my point.

the residents will not be happy full stop.no matter what is built and created they dont want it.

i was trying to point out that oldham is crying out for other leisure facilitys,and seeing as this development is being plugged as regeneration for the greater good of oldham as a whole,you would of thought that something along those lines would have been incorperated into the design.

plus anything like that could be put away from the majority of the residential area.

you give the majority of the town something they need and want,and they will back you all the way.

the residents will not be happy full stop.no matter what is built and created they dont want it.

i was trying to point out that oldham is crying out for other leisure facilitys,and seeing as this development is being plugged as regeneration for the greater good of oldham as a whole,you would of thought that something along those lines would have been incorperated into the design.

plus anything like that could be put away from the majority of the residential area.

you give the majority of the town something they need and want,and they will back you all the way.

Ed agree with what you are saying about the residents objecting, but with regards to Bowling alleys and leisure facilities it is not a case of build it and see who comes to use it. For a start most retailers have experienced property guys on board and many have complex calcualtors of the demographics of areas to work out if it is vialbe or not.

No point in building a Bowling Alley (for example) if you cannot get a Bowling company to "buy" it/operate it.

But completely agree if they have got operators, then most of the town will give the backing.

I think that was the TTA initial concern, there were not many companies interested in running the various leisure concessions, so the housing had more importance.

Edited by singe

I hear you Ed, but I'm not sure that something like a bowling alley would produce a surge of support across the town. After all, people who might fancy a night out once in a while aren't as motivated to get involved as people with direct interest like us and the residents are. In terms of regeneration, you might argue that the plans as they are will attract money into the town from the outside, whereas leisure facilities just give people somewhere to spend the money already here. Granted that is better than them having to go somewhere else for it, but getting business events into the town could be a key step in regeneration.

Personally, I would've thought a Cinema would be far more appropriate than a bowling alley. I'd say they're visited more often and not just by kids, but all ages. It must be annoying for those in Oldham who want to see a film (maybe have a drink too) but have to travel to Ashton. It could even show Bollywood movies to appeal to the Asian population of Oldham (might've even got Councillor Iqbal onside :wink:) Everyones a winner.....the NIMBYS will always moan, true, but anyway, I think it's too late for all this as I don't think TTA would add anything like that into the plans. An opportunity missed though, maybe?

Edited by boundaryblue80