Poster campaign

Saw this idea mentioned in the immediate aftermath of last week's decision...but has anyone got round to designing some sort of poster that people can print off and put in their windows to show support of the plans.

On a similar note, maybe car window stickers would be a good idea as well. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure when SAFE were in full flow I had one.

Homework for the weekend design a poster A4 format and post back to forum as a start.

Car sticker is a simple one as is a badge, perhaps done from club shop £1 donation to the "Oldham Childrens Ward" or "Theatre Workshop" and the like, further positive press about the fans campaign.

Maybe they could charge, but I'm thinking more of a giveaway to make sure people get involved. One for every person through the turnstiles against Crewe (hopefully), or free insert with the Advertiser etc.

EDIT: I had said to make them an insert in the Chron, but I'm guessing they don't want to tie themselves to the campaign whilst the Advertiser seems a lot more pro-development.

Edited by jsslatic

Yep you are correct, the best way.

i personally think there has been enough publicity on the current situation as it stands. if we are to do a poster campaign, we need to decide on a way forward, and let people know what they can do to help the situation.

for example, use the posters to advertise our candidate standing at local elections, i dont see the point in putting out a poster simply to badmouth the council.

i personally think there has been enough publicity on the current situation as it stands.

No, we need to keep this fresh in people's memories or come a month's time no-one will remember. This project will always have active support from the few thousand regulars we get at BP, half of whom (including myself) either don't or have never lived in the town.

For the council to be pressured into realising the errors of their ways we need support from the town as a whole, who need to be constantly reminded of the benefits that the redevelopments will bring and its positive impact on the town.

If we're just supporting our candidate, whoever that may be, then the movement will lose momentum and fade, and by the time the next elections come round (someone said March 2008 I think), TTA could already be gone.

You have got me wrong. when i said we have had enough publicity as it stands, i meant we have all heard what has happened, there is no point publicising that any longer. what we should be publicising is what the development will bring to the town as a whole, and why none Oldham Athletic supporters should be right behind us. When those who have been to the meeting get back tonight, im sure we will have a clearer idea on this.

By flooding the public with the same message continuously you will get the same reaction as the McCanns have found in the Maddie case. Although a very worthwhile cause, by keeping the same message on the front of the papers people have turned against them and sympathy fatigue set in. People will only stay behind us if we are continuously proactive and working towards something thehy want.

We cant rush this. but we shall persevere and we shall win

Philliggi I completely agree with what you have said. What's best is for both strategies to come together. I still maintain there should be a continous large presence of simple 'pro-stadium' propaganda...be it posters/car stickers in the town. Of course, this has to come as part of a two-pronged attack, and we need to campaign and protest in a way which is seen by the residents and the Council as progressive rather than just whinging and complaining.

I'm not suggesting that we should simply do a poster/car ticker campaign. I just think that a physical presence, as such, that will keep the redevelopment campaign in the public consciousness is vital if we are to succeed.

I haven't read everyones idea yet so i'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but has anyone thought about producing leaflets that detail what the development is actually about and then maybe we could distribute these to the objecting residents. It seems to me that the residents who object have no idea what they are going on about and in fact are objecting to things that they have made up on the back of their neighbours scare mongering.

Maybe if we let these people know the real deal, that key workers will be housed in the properties, young professionals, first time buyers etc. ie people who have an interest in looking after their property they would be much more accommodating. It seems to me like they are expecting council flats. Also the traffic issues and how they will be eased need explaining. this will surely cut down some objectors as imo a number of them are in the dark over the whole thing and are in fact just following the angry mob which is being led by people who just don't want any change.

It could be a real boost if we can get some of the residents on our side.

Poster/car sticker ideas are good ones as well whoever mentioned them, keep it in the public eye. That one should definitely be given a go imo.

I haven't read everyones idea yet so i'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but has anyone thought about producing leaflets that detail what the development is actually about and then maybe we could distribute these to the objecting residents. It seems to me that the residents who object have no idea what they are going on about and in fact are objecting to things that they have made up on the back of their neighbours scare mongering.

Maybe if we let these people know the real deal, that key workers will be housed in the properties, young professionals, first time buyers etc. ie people who have an interest in looking after their property they would be much more accommodating. It seems to me like they are expecting council flats. Also the traffic issues and how they will be eased need explaining. this will surely cut down some objectors as imo a number of them are in the dark over the whole thing and are in fact just following the angry mob which is being led by people who just don't want any change.

It could be a real boost if we can get some of the residents on our side.

Poster/car sticker ideas are good ones as well whoever mentioned them, keep it in the public eye. That one should definitely be given a go imo.

How about case studies? For example, I am a 'young' (:wink:) 'professional' (:wink:) and am finding it really hard to get on the housing ladder as a first time buyer. If something like the redevelopment at BP went ahead, I would have no qualms about buying an 'affordable' property there. Not sure I'm the 'scrote' element the Residents are so against moving in!

I meant to put 'as mentioned above', oh well.

I've just added the 'Big Photo' application on Facebook and made that poster my picture so Stevie's work now has the distinct honour of being below my personal info on my page...trust me that's a high accolade...

What are people's thoughts on this for a poster?

It's a good poster but for me, it isn't the message we need to be sending out. I'd rather it was less about the Latics and more about Oldham Arena. With a picture of the development, points about what will be in it (as someone mentioned) and some text stating no matter who you support, this is for Oldham not just for Latics. That's the message that needs hammering out now....sadly, a large portion of this town shuts off when the words Latics are mentioned....and I feel a poster with it on would have the same effect. So in a way, we need to disassociate it from us for it to hit the audience we want. Because let's face it, it doesn't need it to say Latics for us to have one....we'd all have one as Latics fans anyway!

PS Shame England have ballsed up as we could've nicked the feel-good factor from it and added something like....Oldham Arena.....a stadium fit to host the future of Englands finest youngsters (ie. U21s) and the next David Beckham.....MK Scum got one recently so why not us? Takes Latics out of it and brings it into the minds of Red scummers and the Council Tenants etc. The U21's are doing well lately....maybe could still add it onto a poster?

Edited by boundaryblue80

I have to agree. A wider campaign needs to highlight the fact that £80m of private moneyfor investment in facilities in the town is being blocked by a handful (in relative terms). So unless the council has £80m of taxpayers money to spend, the facilities won't be built.

With the other news in the press re: council spending this week, it is a prime time to be hitting the populus of Oldham with this kind of message. Less of a latics message (that can continue alongside) and more of a message that we have been offered a huge Christmas present which won't impact on the current council taxpayers pocket to develop facilities that give our town a better future.

This would allow us to join forces with the likes of Theatre Workshop and other disaffected groups. Have the TTA thought of entering discussions with Theatre Workshop about providing facilities in the new stadium??? What a PR coup that could be!

How about a whip round to fund a full page advert in The (rarely wrong) Chron? Thios wiil give plenty of space to get the whole message across.

does anybody know if there are any empty shop units in the town centre.

maybe get a short term lease to open it up with plans of the new development,just what it entails,and how it will benefit the great public of oldham..

we all know what its about,but lets be honest,most folk in oldham wont be bothered about a hotel,or conference facilities as they will never use them,the gym may be the only thing they would use.

if it was a development with a cinema,bowling alley and other entertainment things like that then people would be more interested.

Philliggi I completely agree with what you have said. What's best is for both strategies to come together. I still maintain there should be a continous large presence of simple 'pro-stadium' propaganda...be it posters/car stickers in the town. Of course, this has to come as part of a two-pronged attack, and we need to campaign and protest in a way which is seen by the residents and the Council as progressive rather than just whinging and complaining.

I'm not suggesting that we should simply do a poster/car ticker campaign. I just think that a physical presence, as such, that will keep the redevelopment campaign in the public consciousness is vital if we are to succeed.

yeah i think we sort of agree, we are just saying it different ways.

Guest sheridans_world
How about a whip round to fund a full page advert in The (rarely wrong) Chron? Thios wiil give plenty of space to get the whole message across.

£1200 for a full page...

Guest sheridans_world

Not trying to throw a spanner in the works but, realistically, you'd need to break out the old buckets. Sadly, i dont think people will dontate.