BBC Report...booing at the end

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...v_2/7099976.stm

I take it the home fans werent happy at Hughes scoring against them ?

Lol....you got to be kidding me? That's got to be the :censored:test, make the most out of something completely different journalism I've ever read.....so erm, it wasn't that AFCB were booing off their own team and management coz they're dire and lost 3-0 in a six-pointer game???

What a :censored: that journo is!

Lol....you got to be kidding me? That's got to be the :censored:test, make the most out of something completely different journalism I've ever read.....so erm, it wasn't that AFCB were booing off their own team and management coz they're dire and lost 3-0 in a six-pointer game???

What a :censored: that journo is!

Totally agree. A team who haven' won in the league at home all season booed off? Nah, lets say it was the visitors.

Totally agree. A team who haven' won in the league at home all season booed off? Nah, lets say it was the visitors.

Its a very amateurish attempt by the journalist at making a name for themselves.

I have also taken it upon myself to lodge a complaint about the article with the BBC as I feel this is unwarranted and had anyone else scored the 2 goals Hughes got today, they would have reported the facts correctly.

Here's a copy of my email to them:

RE: The match report between Bournemouth and Oldham Athletic, and a despicable piece of sensationalist journalism!!

The report in question reads as follows:

"Bournemouth 0-3 Oldham

Lee Hughes scored his first goals for Oldham as his side triumphed to condemn Bournemouth to their seventh home defeat of the season.

Hughes struck when he curled the ball home left-footed from 25 yards.

The striker turned provider when he crossed for midfielder Chris Taylor to nod in from five yards.

Hughes grabbed a second with a late penalty after Cherries defender Alex Pearce brought down Taylor before the visitors were booed off at the end."

Having read this short report, I feel the journalist who compiled it has latched onto the fact Lee Hughes scored his first goals for Oldham Athletic. Given the furore that surrounded his return to football after serving his prison sentence, it appears the journalist decided to make a name for him/herself at Lee's expense. Basically, this is shoddy and amateurish journalism.

The person who wrote this article must have no comprehension of football whatsoever. Bournemouth had just lost their 7th home game of the season, and under NO circumstances whatsoever would their fans be booing Oldham Athletic from the field of play. It would be closer to the truth if their fans booed their own team off the pitch having seen them lose, and I feel had any other Oldham player scored, rather than Lee Hughes, then this would have been reported correctly.

Please take these comments on board and ensure the matter is brought to the attention of the author, in order to prevent a similar situation from happening in the future.

Regards

D Cornick

Nice one :)

Latics Letter Writers Guild strikes again :)

i heard the report at the final whistle (was summat else about bolton too, but cant really remember that!!) from the ground on GMR... the reporter down there indicated that it was hughes that they were boo'ing off!!

mind you he also said that hughes and davies 'had words' (his term not mine!) when the penalty was given....

having only just got in from work, and not trawled through all the threads...is there any truth in this?????

i heard the report at the final whistle (was summat else about bolton too, but cant really remember that!!) from the ground on GMR... the reporter down there indicated that it was hughes that they were boo'ing off!!

mind you he also said that hughes and davies 'had words' (his term not mine!) when the penalty was given....

having only just got in from work, and not trawled through all the threads...is there any truth in this?????

They also reported about 4.10pm that we'd gone 1-0 thanks to Davies! I spent a good few minutes convincing someone I was chatting to on MSN than it was balls! Then when we did finally score, they reported we were 2-0 up before then changing their minds. Wouldn't believe a word of what GMR said quite frankly!

They also reported about 4.10pm that we'd gone 1-0 thanks to Davies! I spent a good few minutes convincing someone I was chatting to on MSN than it was balls! Then when we did finally score, they reported we were 2-0 up before then changing their minds. Wouldn't believe a word of what GMR said quite frankly!

they have always been more interested in whats going on with our friends in red and sky blue...

best bit i heard was when the guy at bolton said ...." the ref has just shown 4 mins!" to which that muttering scottish idiot who does uniteds games replied...." where has he got that from?" ...

reply from bolton biased reporter........"probably from sir alex's watch!!" ACE!!!!

anyway that's me finished now for my holidays... i miss three home games too (assuming we dispatch donny!?)

fingers crossed for the stadium and for the games themselves....

does anyone have a big latics banner i can hang of my cruise ship?????

they have always been more interested in whats going on with our friends in red and sky blue...

best bit i heard was when the guy at bolton said ...." the ref has just shown 4 mins!" to which that muttering scottish idiot who does uniteds games replied...." where has he got that from?" ...

reply from bolton biased reporter........"probably from sir alex's watch!!" ACE!!!!

anyway that's me finished now for my holidays... i miss three home games too (assuming we dispatch donny!?)

fingers crossed for the stadium and for the games themselves....

does anyone have a big latics banner i can hang of my cruise ship?????

Were they booing Hughes? Were they booing they're own team? Who knows? Who cares?

Someone got their first and second senior goals for the blues, and someone got nothing. They can boo all they want at whoever they like.

When Hughes got hold of the ball after the penalty had been given, Davies begged him to be allowed to take it. Hughes was adamant that he was taking it. Davies started waving his arms about and stamping his feet. While lined up waiting for it to be taken, Davies cotinued to wave his arms about. When the ball went in the net Davies walked back to the half-way line ready fot the kick-off and never acknowledged the goal in any way.

At the end of the game Davies walked straight off the pitch, without joining in the celebrations or acknowledgement of the fans. Hughes walked back on in his tracksuit to acknowledge the fans.

Edited to reflect the fact that I missed what S_W saw - Davies acknowledging the fans.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Its a very amateurish attempt by the journalist at making a name for themselves.

I have also taken it upon myself to lodge a complaint about the article with the BBC as I feel this is unwarranted and had anyone else scored the 2 goals Hughes got today, they would have reported the facts correctly.

At last - success for a member of the Latics' Letter Writers' Guild!

I told Mrs. Sideburns about this thread and she looked at the BBC match report on Ceefax. Sure enough, the inaccurate report was there. She then looked at the ITV report which was OK. She went back to the BBC report and vented her spleen at it, only to find that it had been changed to "the home side were booed off at the end" at 10.25am on Sunday.

Well one Latics4Ever! :applause1:

That's got to be the :censored:test, make the most out of something completely different journalism I've ever read.....so erm, it wasn't that AFCB were booing off their own team and management coz they're dire and lost 3-0 in a six-pointer game???

BB80, I can't let you get away with "a six-pointer game" in November :excl: Or is it that November is OK, but October is much too early to be talking in those terms? :mmm::thinking2::pokeuu::ohno::devilish:

Were they booing Hughes? Were they booing they're own team? Who knows? Who cares?

Someone got their first and second senior goals for the blues, and someone got nothing. They can boo all they want at whoever they like.

They were booing their own team. Bournemouth fans generally are mild-mannererd and family orientated. They didn't give Hughes any stick. They were reacting to another heavy defeat.

Guest sheridans_world
At the end of the game Davies walked straight off the pitch, without joining in the celebrations or acknowledgement of the fans. Hughes walked back on in his tracksuit to acknowledge the fans.

He did Diego, you may not have spotted it. Mainly because it was only short. Davies did walk around 10 feet towards the fans, applauded for 10 seconds, then walked off. I know its not alot, but, its better than nothing.

All I can think is that Davies is the agreed penalty taker ?? Otherwise he would of had no right to take it.

I suspect that if Liddell had been playing there would have been no argument, but without the regular penalty-taker, Hughes got the ball and concentrated on the job in hand, while his team-mate had a tantrum.

He did Diego, you may not have spotted it. Mainly because it was only short. Davies did walk around 10 feet towards the fans, applauded for 10 seconds, then walked off. I know its not alot, but, its better than nothing.

Fair enough if you saw that, then I stand corrected and I've edited my previous post.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I suspect that if Liddell had been playing there would have been no argument, but without the regular penalty-taker, Hughes got the ball and concentrated on the job in hand, while his team-mate had a tantrum.

Well in those situations the player that earnt the pen gets to take it.... I just hope there isnt issues between them both...not when its just all about to click :)

Well in those situations the player that earnt the pen gets to take it.... I just hope there isnt issues between them both...not when its just all about to click :)

or....... there is a few quid tied into scoring goals????

personally i think when a team is 2-0 up with mins to go... it shouldn't really matter who takes the penalty! and if there is a chance for a player to get a hat trick, start tallying the goals up (hughes) or simply reward for a great game / last game /debut etc then it should be a 'team' decision...

fairly irrelevant though really..just discussion at it's sunday morning/ afternoon best!!!

It was Davies who put the ball through to Hughes for the first goal. Davies's tantrum over the penalty probably illustrates his wish to score in every game to keep his confidence up, but he let the tantrum go on too long for his own good.

At last - success for a member of the Latics' Letter Writers' Guild!

I told Mrs. Sideburns about this thread and she looked at the BBC match report on Ceefax. Sure enough, the inaccurate report was there. She then looked at the ITV report which was OK. She went back to the BBC report and vented her spleen at it, only to find that it had been changed to "the home side were booed off at the end" at 10.25am on Sunday.

Well one Latics4Ever! :applause1:

Glad to see me vented spleen has seen a correction of the facts. I just felt so incensed at the inaccuracy last night on top of everything else thats going on at the moment I decided to put my own two'penneth in.

Glad to see me vented spleen has seen a correction of the facts. I just felt so incensed at the inaccuracy last night on top of everything else thats going on at the moment I decided to put my own two'penneth in.

You're on a roll now - all you have to do is get the Council to change it's mind! No pressure on you!! :wink:

I was more than a little disappointed with the tone of ITV's reporter this morning. "Lee Hughes scores his first goal for Oldham..................................then blah, blah, blah about causing death by dangerous driving", not the fact it was goal of the day by a guy who in the eyes of the law has repaid his debt to society. Really got my goat that did, flamin' gutter journalism. Even the wife who has absolutely no interest in football (apart from the Jekyll and Hyde effect it has on her husband!) remarked what a crappy throw away comment it was.