Important: Getting Our Message Across

Done.

Done to everyone on the list!

Dear Sir,

We wish to offer our support to Oldham Athletic in their application to improve its own facilities and the surrounding area around Boundary Park. This regeneration project will transform a windswept eyesore into an area the townspeople can be proud of. I firmly believe that his project is likely to be the catalyst (and a clear example of a flagship project) in attracting further funding for much needed large scale regeneration and the establishment of more much needed leisure facilities within the Borough. The Ritchie report made clear the importance of wider regeneration within Oldham in order to project the benefits to all and help rebuild community cohesion and relations. At the centre of this ambitious improvement plan will be a stadium all sections of the community can be proud of and hopefully the perceived improvements in accomodation for supporters may see a welcome increase in supporters from all areas of Oldham's diverse community. There will also be much needed key-worker housing for Hospital and NHS staff. The owners and their co-directors are determined to drive (excuse the pun) both the football club and the town forward and send out a message to our beleaguered townspeople that yes the town has a future and they are not just throwing their council tax down the drain. As you will have realised by now I am not alone in supporting this project and public opinion is such that the vast majority of Oldhamers (not just supporters of OAFC) have the progressive vision to whole heartedly support this wonderful opportunity for change, probably because they can see the wider benefits to THEIR town. The planning committee on the 11th December has the chance to do a great duty for a much maligned town, Oldham has a glorious past, now is the time to send out a message to everyone that the Borough of Oldham will have a progressive future!

Yours Sincerely

Mr and Mrs. P Prendergast

Chadderton

Oldham

OL9 8JP

Dear Sir/Madam

I would like to express my support for the planning application submitted by the owners of Oldham Athletic Football Club. It is a rare thing to see a single issue bring so many of the towns residents together in this way. Oldham has a proud tradition as a fore father of the industrial revolution and it's football club an equally proud tradition as a place of sporting excellence. The planning application as submitted is realistic and within the regulations as demanded by planning law.

I would hope that our Councillors are convinced by the depth of feeling of Oldham's citizens and it's football clubs supporters. We have an opportunity to make a positive difference to our town and I would urge the planning committee to vote yes to the application. Be part of something positive for our town.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Dear Sirs/Madams,

First of all, apologies for sending a ‘bulk’ email.

I would like to express my support for Oldham Athletic’s redevelopment of the Boundary Park Stadium. I am Oldham born and bred, and have always been proud of my town, and never had any qualms about saying where I’m from.

After working and studying away from the town for 9 years for professional qualifications, I was ecstatic to gain a post in the NHS back in my home-town.

However, since moving back to the area, having experienced life in several towns that are visibly moving forwards in terms of facilities, I have found that Oldham has gone backwards, with fewer facilities than when I left, and no noticeable practical or aesthetic improvements which would make people want to live in the town. When I had friends visiting recently, it really opened my eyes to how little there was to boast about. The guided tour of the town’s ‘features’ and facilities verged on embarrassing.

I strongly believe that granting planning permission for the redevelopment would send the message to people in and around the area that Oldham is a town that wants to move forward, that it’s a town that wants improvement, and that it welcomes outside investment (which is in this case of a level that local funding could not match). It would provide more jobs for the area, regeneration for a run-down location, high quality hotel/fitness/conferencing facilities, and living accommodation for keyworkers such as myself.

The town as a whole needs a boost, and I would therefore strongly urge anyone on the planning committee to vote in favour of the redevelopment when it is resubmitted on 11th December, and any other councillors to ask their colleagues on the panel to do so as well.

Yours faithfully,

Dr Clare Maddison

Right I've sent an email to the relevant people although Mr Woolas' email address was down, I'll try again tomorrow morning for that one.

This is how it reads;

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to officially put in writing my utmost support for the redevelopment plan of the Boundary Park site and proposed amenities.

The incumbent council has an exceptional opportunity on the 11th of December to allow permission for a development that will not only provide a massive boost to the local economy, but will also serve as a decisive and bold statement that Oldham is a town which welcomes business and investment with open arms.

The decaying mills that blight Oldham's landscape are analogous with the decline of civic pride that many Oldhamers have in the town. The development of the Boundary Park site offers an exceptional opportunity to demonstrate that Oldham is brashly moving away from a decayed past and evolving into a more modern and outward thinking town.

Opposition to a redevelopment of this size is unfortunate, yet inevitable. The Council Planning Committee should be vigilant to not allow few vociferous objections to the redevelopment to drown out and stymie a proposal that guarantees a whole ream of advantages and benefits to all the people of Oldham.

I strongly urge the planning committee to make 11th December 2007 a date that all Oldhamers will remember with pride and vote in favour of the redevelopment of the Boundary Park site.

Yours, Faithfully,

Michael J.A Wolstencroft.

Got this back from Councillor Judge,

Interesting Comments

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your e.mail. It appears that talks behind the scenes have been taking place between the club, council and others to come up with an acceptable way forward.

Some of the press and media comments have really been upsetting to myself and other councillors in that the majority DO care about what happens to OAFC and (as I tried to do last year as the Mayor) fight to make Oldham a better place and somewhere that we are proud to say we come from.

I find also some of he comments from some OAFC club officials about the council not caring etc. equally upsetting knowing that Oldham MBC has helped the club to survive on a couple of occasions in past years. Each time being blasted by sections of the media and our opponents for doing so.

I remember our attempts with Sports Park 2000 which were campaigned against by the local press, the Liberal democrats and some of the local anti council brigade. This was a fantastic opportunity for everybody to get something out of it. OAFC would have had a brand new Stadium built before Boundary Park closed. There would have been commercial businesses and activities attached which would have brought the very necessary other income to the Football Club, We would have had 11 top class playing pitches in place before the new stadium was started upon. These would have had extensive changing facilities and a Community centre for the local residents. There would have been a new road linking Elk Mill exit across to Chadderton Way which would have relieved the Broadway roundabout. All this would have been funded by the sale of land for other businesses to be developed bringing facilities and jobs.

What we are left with now is a Stadium which is land locked, needing 3/4 seasons of disruption to replace stands, OAFC needing to fund the scheme with money from residential developments where top class sports facilities for the community could have been.

I only wish the Chronicle would have been as active then as they appear to be now as I would have loved to have the backing of the fans with a campaign and marches etc. for the original Sports Park 2000 scheme.

However, it wasn't to be and we must now make the best of a bad situation. Whatever happens, you can be assured of my support when the opportunity arises.

Sorry to go on but, the comments that I and my other council colleagues don't care are way off the mark and unjustified.

Bernard

Right sent mine off - wont post it as it is 4 pages; and i ahd to split the email distribution as Yahoo said I was spamming :huh:

Anyway job done, hopefully we get the right decision this time, but I will be in bloody Greece 11th-13th so wont know the result.

Right sent mine off - wont post it as it is 4 pages; and i ahd to split the email distribution as Yahoo said I was spamming :huh:

Anyway job done, hopefully we get the right decision this time, but I will be in bloody Greece 11th-13th so wont know the result.

Ricardo - I was speaking to an influential Oldham Politician last night and he said that he had seen an excellent 4 page letter from a Latics fan. Guess that it must have been yours! He was very impressed not only with yours but with the hundreds of letters that had been copied to him. He also told me that the whole email campaign was having a very positive effect within "the corridors of power" in that people were really sitting up and taking notice.

PM me your mobile number and I'll text you once the decision is made on the 11th.

:)

As posted elsewhere I have re sent the emails today and am getting lots of replies which suggests my previous send was deleted/ignored/lost???????

If you have not had a reply send again.

I've just noticed that I have, as yet, had no reply from the following and have emailed them again:

jim.bennett@oldham.gov.uk, tom.flanagan@oldham.gov.uk, asaf.ali@oldham.gov.uk, hugh.mcdonald@oldham.gov.uk, eileen.hulme@oldham.gov.uk, colin.mclaren@oldham.gov.uk, len.quinn@oldham.gov.uk, david.r.jones@oldham.gov.uk, joy.wrigglesworth@oldham.gov.uk, abdul.jabbar@oldham.gov.uk, jilad.miah@oldham.gov.uk, mohib.uddin@oldham.gov.uk, ann.wingate@oldham.gov.uk, peter.dean@oldham.gov.uk, barbara.dawson@oldham.gov.uk, james.mcmahon@oldham.gov.uk, aileen.bell@oldham.gov.uk, glenys.butterworth@oldham.gov.uk, john.johnson@oldham.gov.uk, stephen.barrow@oldham.gov.uk, jean.stretton@oldham.gov.uk, gerald.ball@oldham.gov.uk, jean.jones@oldham.gov.uk, ateeque.urrehman@oldham.gov.uk, olwen.chadderton@oldham.gov.uk, riaz.ahmad@oldham.gov.uk, shadab.qumer@oldham.gov.uk, a.a.salamat@oldham.gov.uk, jim.mcardle@oldham.gov.uk, derek.heffernan@oldham.gov.uk, alanroughley@talktalk.net, richard.knowles@oldham.gov.uk, john.mccann@oldham.gov.uk, barbara.beeley@oldham.gov.uk, brian.lord@oldham.gov.uk, val.sedgwick@oldham.gov.uk, rod.blyth@oldham.gov.uk, howard.sykes@oldham.gov.uk, john.anchor@oldham.gov.uk, shoab.akhtar@oldham.gov.uk, fida.hussain@oldham.gov.uk, philip.rogers@oldham.gov.uk, keith.pendlebury@oldham.gov.uk, tony.larkin@oldham.gov.uk, steven.bashforth@oldham.gov.uk, roger.hindle@oldham.gov.uk, javid.iqbal@oldham.gov.uk.

philip.rogers@oldham.gov.uk, keith.pendlebury@oldham.gov.uk, tony.larkin@oldham.gov.uk, steven.bashforth@oldham.gov.uk, roger.hindle@oldham.gov.uk, javid.iqbal@oldham.gov.uk.

The worry is that the above six who have not replied all voted against the Recommendation for approval at the last meeting.

It could be Corporal Jones that they don't like it up 'em and they are sore about all the criticism of their actions. They may well have a more open mind this time. On the other hand they could just be stubborn buggers!

We'll find out very soon now, and I'm dreading it!