Fabio Capello

Capello appointed as England manager/coach/supremo/scapegoat. The media seem to be 100% behind him.

Let me the first to say it will all end in tears. :England:

I'm with you on this one, it's knee jerk reaction after Mourinho (the best candidate by miles) turned it down. How the hell can you appoint a bloke who barely speaks English!!

That's a little like predicting the tide will come in, isn't it? :lol:

I think he's the best appointment in the circumstances (i.e. given who's actually available).

I can't wait to see England play now - the man is a football genius. I'm struggling to remember who our last manager was, but I'm sure Capello will do better.

Who was our last manager?

Last time they made an appointment they bottled it and shied away from giving it to someone who would face up to the culture of failure and the buddy system that pervades the squad – O’Neill, Scolari or Hiddink wouldn’t have bent over forwards to include all the old boys when it came to the crunch. Capello will kick Fatty, Gerrard and whoever else he needs to up the arse or out of the squad. It might not bring us trophies, but if we fail maybe at least we’ll fail with some sort of fight.

Am I right in thinking it's about seven months until England play again - what's the rush?

I think if Capello really was the man they wanted then they had to act while he was available, coaches with his CV and track record do not remain available for long.

Waiting 3/6 months to make the appointment would almost certainly have cost them their man.

Yep. Coupled with the fact those likely to become available in the summer aren't any better. Best to go for him now, let him have time to settle in, get a couple of friendlies under his belt and have everything just how he wants before we embark on WC 2010 qualifying.

Erikkson+boring football= win nowt!

MacLaren+boring football=win nowt!

Capello+boring football=bring back the hopes and dreams of a nation sooo starved of success for such a long time!!!

Thad'll do f'me!!!

mmmmmmm...i remember erikkson being hailed as the new "saviour" when he was appointed.

don't get excited-i'm definately not.

The Italian mentality is to win football matches,It dosen't matter how you do it as long as you win.

With the crap we had had to put up with over the last few years i for one am prepared to watch winning crap :England::Italy:

Fabio Capello is a quality manager and is one of the best managers worldwide. If England waited a while to appoint a new manager then we may have missed out as IMHO top football managers see managing at the big European clubs on the same level as managing England. There has been a lot of speculation over big club's managers e.g. AC Milan, Inter and Liverpool and what with the availibility of top name managers he would have been a good bet for any of these if the job came up. Fabio Capello speaks decent enough English to talk to the players about football but doesn't like speaking English in interviews (probably in case he messes up a translation and gets in trouble). He will be better than McLaren (who was way out of his depth) whether he'll be good enough for us to get to the final/win a major competition is another thing. He's played internationally unlike some England managers. Plus so what if he plays boring football what would you rather have a boring 1-0 win or an exciting 4-3 loss?

Comments above seem to say:

his teams don't play attractive football but that doesn't matter;

we may not get to a final or win anything but that doesn't matter;

he wasn't first choice but that doesn't matter;

he was the best available so why wait up to seven months, in case someone better comes available, before England next plays a game?

He's a genius when using foreign players and that's what matters!

The media love him, just like they did when Sven was appointed.

He was recommended by old red nose Taggart, who never wants England to win anything.

I think I'm missing the point somewhere along the line. :mmm:

his teams don't play attractive football but that doesn't matter; As long as we win

we may not get to a final or win anything but that doesn't matter; Actually, that DOES matter!

he wasn't first choice but that doesn't matter; At least he wasn't 5th choice like McLaren... and personally I rate Capello higher than Mourinho.

he was the best available so why wait up to seven months, in case someone better comes available, before England next plays a game?

IMO he's better than anyone who may come available so might aswell get him now while we can ... and just cos he only has a couple of friendlies in the next 7 months doesn't mean he'll be doing nothing

He's a genius when using foreign players and that's what matters! His record speaks for itself, and he knows how to handle the prima donnas

The media love him, just like they did when Sven was appointed. And they'll stick the knife in when they decide to turn, just like they did with Sven... destructive, xenophobic scum that they are.

He was recommended by old red nose Taggart, who never wants England to win anything. Has Taggart ever said that? He just wants what's best for Man Utd, and English success helps his English players. Anyway, what's he supposed to say when asked a direct question in a press conference in Italy?!

I think I'm missing the point somewhere along the line. :mmm:Depends what the point is? :grin:

By the way, what (besides his legendary ego) makes Paul Ince think we CARE how upset he is? :lol:

All those whinging in the media cos we haven't appointed an English manager seem to be those who ruled themselves out, and/or singularly unable to come up with a sensible English candidate.

Edited by garcon

his teams don't play attractive football but that doesn't matter;

we may not get to a final or win anything but that doesn't matter;

he wasn't first choice but that doesn't matter;

He's a genius when using foreign players and that's what matters!

The media love him, just like they did when Sven was appointed.

He was recommended by old red nose Taggart, who never wants England to win anything.

I think I'm missing the point somewhere along the line. :mmm:

Reported contract to be worth (with bonuses) £6m :deal: a year!!!!!!!!! Erm I think i'd be botherd what was being served up for that money??? :mmm: