Paul Dickov

And deprived us the opportunity of beating Chelsea away, the sod

Since the last time we played them at the Bridge.

To get back on topic why be vitriolic towards Dickov when there is one organisation who deserve both barrels at the game. The not so fine establishment of South Yorkshire Police have a litany of past disgraces plenty big enough for abuse, and it has gotten worse this week with what has been made public regarding Rotherham.

Dickov? He came, he tried, he failed.

He did so with hard work and commitment. He just wasn't good enough to turn the average into the special on a Latics playing budget. He's not the first. He won't be the last.

No chance he should be booed. A five second ripple of applause for his effort and then let's forget he's even there.

He was doing a pretty good job of turning very average players into an OK and competitve League One side. Until he saw his arse, and changed his tactics and players and it just went tits up, slowly, from there.

He doesn't deserve booing, or any more abuse than you would normally give out to an opposition manager.

Nice bloke, in fact, a top bloke. Just not a very good manager. But he tried his best.

We should applaud both Firman and Dickov. Both gave everything whilst they were here and Smith and Johnson when they left.

As I've said elsewhere I rate Johnson but think he is at a turning point for us because to push on he needs to break free of the shackles of not wanting to lose. League 1 is about winning.

Smith, one of our best, has given us a few seats or possibly bricks in the North Stand but also Kelly and I hope Kelly will prove us all wrong and make a good captain.