Top Away Following

9 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

One of few things to be proud about in the last few years.

I do often wonder how you can have such a persistent resentment for your own fans and still bother going.

I don't resent our fans at all its the portion of fans who seem to resent the club that I just don't like. Your question could be directed to them (many on here)

As I said the club cant do right for doing wrong but some fans think they are the be all end all.

I don't go to Latics to watch the fans so that's lucky...

Edited by palmer1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

I don't resent our fans at all its the portion of fans who resent the club that I just don't like.

As I said the club cant do right for doing wrong but some fans think they are the be all end all.

For clarification I not posting about at anyone specifically and I don't go to Latics to watch the fans so that's lucky...

I'd imagine that most of the fans who travel here there and everywhere are among the most loyal to the club you can possibly find. To insinuate that they do it for the sake of praise seems very bitter to me. While most supporters are sceptical (and for good reason) those who can see no good clearly have an amplified voice on here. 

That we have a very loyal core of fans who continue to support the club is to be celebrated.

Edited by NewBlue

2 hours ago, palmer1 said:

Never underestimate how little Oldham fans needs to pat themselves on the back when they consider themselves superior to other clubs.

The club itself cant do right for doing wrong, the fans though especially those that travel are something special....just ask them they will tell you. In fact you don't need to ask...

Victor Meldrews back....... 

3 hours ago, NewBlue said:

I'd imagine that most of the fans who travel here there and everywhere are among the most loyal to the club you can possibly find. To insinuate that they do it for the sake of praise seems very bitter to me. While most supporters are sceptical (and for good reason) those who can see no good clearly have an amplified voice on here. 

That we have a very loyal core of fans who continue to support the club is to be celebrated.

I didn't insinuate they do it for praise you just did, I said Oldham fans are the first to pat themselves on the back when it comes to support. Check this board every week!

As for being bitter? What about? After 30 plus years of support home and away am I not loyal? I've watched Latics at over 60 plus away grounds (pats self on back...the irony)

Celebrate our fans, some seem too far more than they do the club but the original discussion stemmed from why at the expense of another club fans. What percentage of Dale's home following go away. I'd bet it isnt very different to ours.

Edited by palmer1

8 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

I didn't insinuate they do it for praise you just did, I said Oldham fans are the first to pat themselves on the back when it comes to support. Check this board every week!

As for being bitter? What about? After 30 plus years of support home and away am I not loyal? I've watched Latics at over 60 plus away grounds (pats self on back...the irony)

Celebrate our fans, sond seem to far more than thd club but the original discussion stemmed from why at the expense of another club fans. What percentage of Dale's home following go away. I'd better it's is very different to ours.

Fans of club think their club has the best fans whilst thinking local rivals have crap fans shock...

17 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

I didn't insinuate they do it for praise you just did I said Oldham fans are the first to pat themselves on the back when it comes to support. Check this board every week!

Celebrate our fans, some seem too far more than they do the club but the original discussion stemmed from why at the expense of another club fans. What percentage of Dale's home following go away. I'd better it's is very different to ours.

Like Dec says, you seem to think Oldham fans are so much worse than other clubs for these things. It's really not the case.

5 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Like Dec says, you seem to think Oldham fans are so much worse than other clubs for these things. It's really not the case.

You seem to tell me what I'm thinking a lot...

Wrong again, I haven't made a comparison.

Back to the thread.... One reason for this is our bigger fan base from our Prem days who now live away from Oldham.   Many like myself go to more away games than home and this contributes hugely to our away following. My guess is even if we pulled in another 1000 home fans next season our away numbers wouldn't be influenced much.... Unless we were in the top 8 or so... 

20 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Back to the thread.... One reason for this is our bigger fan base from our Prem days who now live away from Oldham.   Many like myself go to more away games than home and this contributes hugely to our away following. My guess is even if we pulled in another 1000 home fans next season our away numbers wouldn't be influenced much.... Unless we were in the top 8 or so... 

I disagree - even in this league when we were getting 6,000+ home fans, and at the right end of the table, we were taking 3,000+ to the likes of Wigan and Huddersfield....

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

I disagree - even in this league when we were getting 6,000+ home fans, and at the right end of the table, we were taking 3,000+ to the likes of Wigan and Huddersfield....

24 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Yep. Our away followings seem to have shrunk to some extent in the past few seasons. They're still decent relative to home crowds but it's reduced.

23 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I was there for all three :( but on the other hand was also there for Ritchie's injury time equaliser at Southampton in the League Cup, Marshalls goals at Ipswich to secure promotion and a whole host of other memorable moments.....for those of us over a certain age it kind of balances out but for anyone under 25 I applaud your patience and loyalty as the last 10 years or so has been pretty hard going !!   

I'd suggest that could be extended to 20 years or so. We've only had 2 good seasons in that time. There were some pretty dark days at the end of the 90s/start of the noughties before Stott & Brierley left the building. My first season of being able to afford regular attendance coincided with our 1st season at this level. At times it's been grim (particularly the first half of the last 2 seasons) but there have been some great moments to cherish like Clarkes winner at Chesterfield. In the grand scheme of things though...a Clarke header at Chesterfield and Marshalls goal at Ipswich are chalk and cheese.

Our away followings have taken a hit not only because we are playing at the likes of the Bescot year on year, but because the football has generally been shit and we've been fighting at the wrong end of the table.

I think either last year, possibly the year before that, we were 7th best in the league (behind the obvious big boys).  After 20 years in L1 with very little to get giddy about, that's bloody good.

I have no doubts that should we be top 6 material from the off this coming season, our average would be around the 800-850 mark.  Not huge, but this would improve year on year with a bit of success.

We took over 700 to Wimbledon FFS, and would have been a lot more had we been given the tickets and if it wasnt at 12 oclock on a Saturday.  Potentially 1000+ if the circumstances were more favourable.

You wont find many teams outside the likes of Sheff Utd, Bolton and Bradford who's take 1000+ to London in what was effectively a meaningless game (aside from the new ground factor).

52 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

That was a few years back...2k maximum nowadays I recon which is still good considering our home fan base

We took 2100 to Bolton when it was 26 quid a ticket and we couldn't score for shit earlier in the season...

We'd piss 3k to Blackburn with a decent start and reasonably priced tickets

46 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

We took 2100 to Bolton when it was 26 quid a ticket and we couldn't score for shit earlier in the season...

There will be a lot who look for that date before any other on fixture release day.

9 minutes ago, lalalajpkalala said:

There will be a lot who look for that date before any other on fixture release day.

Yep. Many won't be attenders of home fixtures either.

Looking at our final home league game against Rochdale, with 5.5k home fans, it leads me to thinking with a decent context 4k+ is more than realistic for Blackburn

I like the fact that we punch well, well above our weight in terms of away followings..

I like the fact that many of us buzz off it....

I like being a part of those impressive away followings...

I like the fact that, although we're shite on the field, we can at least still engage in some good old fashioned rivalry - or "bantz" as the youngsters call it - and mock other clubs shitty away followings off the field......

I struggle to get my head round the mindset of fellow Oldham fans who dislike or object to any or all of that...

#amf 

Edited by HarryBosch

4 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

but there have been some great moments to cherish like Clarkes winner at Chesterfield. In the grand scheme of things though...a Clarke header at Chesterfield and Marshalls goal at Ipswich are chalk and cheese.

Thank fuck I was born in the seventies if all the kids of today can cherish is an injury time winner at Chesterfield.

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I like the fact that we punch well, well above our weight in terms of away followings..

I like the fact that many of us buzz off it....

I like being a part of those impressive away followings...

I like the fact that, although we're shite on the field, we can at least still engage in some good old fashioned rivalry - or "bantz" as the youngsters call it - and mock other clubs shitty away followings off the field......

I struggle to get my head round the mindset of fellow Oldham fans who dislike or object to any or all of that...

#amf 

This. 

It's football.

Fans look down on other fans. It's hardly new and it's hardly exclusive to Latics.

6 hours ago, NewBlue said:

We only took 1500 to Bury!! ...anyhow let's all get to Bastard Rovers and have a party next season! 

15 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

We only took 1500 to Bury!! ...anyhow let's all get to Bastard Rovers and have a party next season! 

We've played at Gigg Lane probably 4 times in 6 years.

We've not been to Ewood in 16 years

7 hours ago, NewBlue said:

6 hours ago, lalalajpkalala said:

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

50 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

We've played at Gigg Lane probably 4 times in 6 years.

We've not been to Ewood in 16 years

I reckon if it's on a Saturday and we're doing OK, or it's early season, we'll take our biggest non-Rochdale away following in years. 

Much bigger than the 2100 for Bolton. 

I think I'm right in saying Bolton in the 70's was a bigger rivalry (on & off the pitch) but we there'll be far more supporters from when we played Blackburn year in, year out for many, many years who are still close to the club (whether they're still regulars or not) and, dare I say it, are still alive. 

I think the 1988 game (Rick Holden's debut?) was the first away game that I went on the train with mates rather than on Barlow's or with my dad - great, vivid memories. Lots of people will be the same.

What's the name of that pub near the away end that we always used to fill? Begins with an F I think..? 

I can't wait. 

Edited by HarryBosch