Red brick mill style stuff

Firstly, this is something from the proposed development that has clearly caught our imaginations, the likeness to the mill buildings that filled our childhoods even when they were coming down, something that relates to the area. Oldham is mills, even though I don't have ancestry from round the town my dad got his job in textiles after going to Uni in Manchester and worked in the industry all his life, and the names of the mills have so much influence over how the houses are based, the local names and so much more.

We wanted something unique. Looks like the club are making a fair effort to give us a above-standard stadium, but I don't want to debate that here.

It's been a concern of mine for a while that although I don't actually give a :censored: what the ground looks like from the inside really, because I will be hoping to watch the game, I want it to look good from the outside. I understand that there are issues with fronting the Main Stand facilities according to the sun etc, which isn't best in terms of facing the road. Can we look to solve these problems through the use of iconic mill-style buildings at the front entrance or at facilities between the two? A couple of moderately tall towers to mark the entrance maybe, with facilities in the base? If done properly, you would see through the old and onto the new shiny stadium.

Unique.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want it to look good from the outside. I understand that there are issues with fronting the Main Stand facilities according to the sun etc, which isn't best in terms of facing the road. Can we look to solve these problems through the use of iconic mill-style buildings at the front entrance or at facilities between the two? A couple of moderately tall towers to mark the entrance maybe, with facilities in the base? If done properly, you would see through the old and onto the new shiny stadium.

Unique.

I suggest that if anything constructive comes from this thread, you let the Club know ASAP to allow it to be taken into consideration before the plans are firmed up for the next consultation session planned to be held quite soon.

Firstly, this is something from the proposed development that has clearly caught our imaginations, the likeness to the mill buildings that filled our childhoods even when they were coming down, something that relates to the area. Oldham is mills, even though I don't have ancestry from round the town my dad got his job in textiles after going to Uni in Manchester and worked in the industry all his life, and the names of the mills have so much influence over how the houses are based, the local names and so much more.

We wanted something unique. Looks like the club are making a fair effort to give us a above-standard stadium, but I don't want to debate that here.

It's been a concern of mine for a while that although I don't actually give a :censored: what the ground looks like from the inside really, because I will be hoping to watch the game, I want it to look good from the outside. I understand that there are issues with fronting the Main Stand facilities according to the sun etc, which isn't best in terms of facing the road. Can we look to solve these problems through the use of iconic mill-style buildings at the front entrance or at facilities between the two? A couple of moderately tall towers to mark the entrance maybe, with facilities in the base? If done properly, you would see through the old and onto the new shiny stadium.

Unique.

I asked Anna Kocerhan specifically about the orientation of the Main Stand as this was almost the first thing I noticed. She made it clear that they had considered the roadside view already, and due to the sun setting in the west, and the glass fronted coproate boxes, that is the way it would have to face.

Having said that it would be interesting to see if anything could be done on the actual roadside or between roadside and stadium as you suggest.

The Stockholm home of Djurgardens FC, was built for the Olympics in 1912, and is an architectural gem now used mainly for athletics. It would be great if the mill town heritage was incorporated into the proposed stadium in red brick in a similar way to these towers/arches/window shapes.

Stockholm-Stadion-DN-Galan.jpg

Stockholm-Stadion-Tower.jpg

The Stockholm home of Djurgardens FC, was built for the Olympics in 1912, and is an architectural gem now used mainly for athletics. It would be great if the mill town heritage was incorporated into the proposed stadium in red brick in a similar way to these towers/arches/window shapes.

I have to say that is great.

It would not make it unique, but it would be very approriate.

Make the crest project out using bricks would be a good addition. Though I am sure costly.

Some more pictures.

791px-Stockholms_Olympiastadion,_070310.JPG

img_0151.jpg

SE-stockholm-olympiastadion1.jpg

Stockholm%20Stadium.jpg

looks like a bloody voyeur prison!

Ha Ha, I do see what you mean!

But we could use this to our advantage.

Searchlights instead of spotlights

Fans are not let out till Oldham are winning

Home fans are not let out till they are singing their hearts of for the lads

The players are not let out if they don;t put ina full shift

The ref gets strip searched if he gives dodgy decisions

Lee Hughes might want to come back

Sorry about the last one

I want the BP floodlight pylons. I want big huge massive floodlights at the new ground. You don't get them anymore. You can see them for miles, and its one distinctive thing that I will miss about BP if we end up moving.

Thats the reason you don't get em anymore, can be seen from miles around.

Have they told the architects about this, only I see no red brick in those pretty pictures from yesterday's Project Flee presentation?

Correct me if I'm wrong D_S but during our chat there yesterdayI think you told me Alan Hardy had said to you that the main enterance was going to be done in Red Brick?