Red brick mill style stuff

Correct me if I'm wrong D_S but during our chat there yesterdayI think you told me Alan Hardy had said to you that the main enterance was going to be done in Red Brick?

While we know that nothing is yet set in stone, and open to consultation, AH said the Architect has been told red brick is to be used to reflect the fact that Latics have always been in a town of chimneys.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted this in the main discussion, but thought it might be better here.

It would be good to have the new stadium name (Lancaster Ground) or Club Name/OAFC buit in white brick into the red brick front - like the names of the mills did on the towers.

Love the ideas of more complex structure/mill reference, but in real-life an unaffordable expense.

It would be good to have the new stadium name (Lancaster Ground) or Club Name/OAFC buit in white brick into the red brick front - like the names of the mills did on the towers.

Love the ideas of more complex structure/mill reference, but in real-life an unaffordable expense.

similar to...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...brox_Facade.JPG

Can we look to solve these problems through the use of iconic mill-style buildings at the front entrance or at facilities between the two? A couple of moderately tall towers to mark the entrance maybe, with facilities in the base? If done properly, you would see through the old and onto the new shiny stadium.

Unique.

i like this idea and also that TTA are putting effort into making the stadium unique to oldham. i think that your tower idea would be good and in a way intimidating for the opposition. maybe a flag or crest could be on it an/or a memorial to please the locals. it would be costly but something like it could be very good

Parma have Roman towers at the main entrance entering into the Ennio Tardini it is suppose to reflect the towns history in the Roman days. The name Parma has somthing to do with weapons they used to use and they have built the entrance in recognition of this.

23009739.jpg

I take it you mean something along the same lines LL?

Was going to say that myself.

Just one thing though on this arched window detail - I'm not an expert on Cotton Mill architecture by any stretch of the imagination, but can't think of any local mills with arched windows ?

Was going to say that myself.

Just one thing though on this arched window detail - I'm not an expert on Cotton Mill architecture by any stretch of the imagination, but can't think of any local mills with arched windows ?

If you look at the parts of the mills where the steam engines were housed, a lot of those windows were arched. We have arched windows in the mills I work in.

Parma have Roman towers at the main entrance entering into the Ennio Tardini it is suppose to reflect the towns history in the Roman days. The name Parma has somthing to do with weapons they used to use and they have built the entrance in recognition of this.

I take it you mean something along the same lines LL?

Could be part of the main entrance, yes. Someone suggested elsewhere that they would like old style floodlights that you can see for miles away, so would I but I doubt the locals would approve, but some highish towers wouldn't create the same objections. I'm more throwing ideas out than anything else. How about building the sports bar around the base of a chimney? Kitchens etc in the middle and service from a circular bar. Now that WOULD be unique and would IMO attract a lot of notice and publicity that would attract none matchday custom.

I was thinking more like this

maple-mill-1.jpg

The name a brick & Latics name in white brick are two brilliant ideas, and nice to move onto great detaills as this.

Could the originators of the ideas email AH?

i emailed the enquiries address on the website with my thoughts and mentioned the original idea but no reply yet

Perhaps we could do the "name on a brick" scheme like Sunderland did, that would raise a lot of revenue i'll wager

I was going to suggest that too.

Whilst I'm anti-Project Flee, I like the mill-style lettering idea a lot. Be nice if it said 'Pine Villa'.

Name on brick .... haven't the club said they are doing this already

It'd be nice if they could do it from the bricks that are currently in the main stand, or do something with those bricks as a feature - maybe use them inside a lounge bar as internal wall cladding?

I want the BP floodlight pylons. I want big huge massive floodlights at the new ground. You don't get them anymore. You can see them for miles, and its one distinctive thing that I will miss about BP if we end up moving.

Oh yes please and maybe the pylons could be shaped like mill chimneys. That would be unique!