Proposed site of new ground

A letter in the chron tonight from ' excelsior' makes some interesting points. A few of the sites mentioned include coal pit lane,snipe clough and lastly the Alexandra retail park.There is a suggestion of moving matalan and bensons beds into the town centre and acquiring this site.I'm not sure of the size of the plots mentioned but imo any of these would be favourable as opposed to moving to failsworth.Anyone got any thoughts or insight into these suggestions?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....the Alexandra retail park.There is a suggestion of moving matalan and bensons beds into the town centre and acquiring this site.....

I've also thought about the white elephant that is Alexandra Retail Park.

I is very convenientry situated and there are a number of other reasons why it would be a good choice:

- it's in the middle of Oldham

- the area needs regenerating, those few shops are in a ghost town.

- its right next to the railway line, for a future tram stop

- it's next to Oldham Way

- there is a multistory car park very close by with easy access. It's probably used mostly by office workers on weekdays in which case it is virtually empty in the evening and on Sat afternoons.

- their is plenty of room for more parking near a future stadium.

- there is even a listed curved building that the council have been trying to sell for £1 for ages. Latics could possibly get a grant and incorporated into the back of one of the stands and use it as a hotel, offices etc

I don't know how many acres it is but its plenty big enough for a ground and some parking. We don't need a 30 acre site, not many football stadiums are surrounded with multiple football pitches.

Edited by laticsrblue

I is very convenientry situated and there are a number of other reasons why it would be a good choice:

- it's in the middle of Oldham -YUP

- the area needs regenerating, those few shops are in a ghost town. -YUP

- its right next to the railway line, for a future tram stop - YUP

- it's next to Oldham Way - YUP

- there is a multistory car park very close by with easy access. It's probably used mostly by office workers on weekdays in which case it is virtually empty in the evening and on Sat afternoons. - DUNNO

- their is plenty of room for more parking near a future stadium. - NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE. IS THERE ENOUGH SPACE FOR A SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT?

- there is even a listed curved building that the council have been trying to sell for £1 for ages. Latics could possibly get a grant and incorporated into the back of one of the stands and use it as a hotel, offices etc - GOOD THINKING

I don't know how many acres it is but its plenty big enough for a ground and some parking. We don't need a 30 acre site, not many football stadiums are surrounded with multiple football pitches.

- there is a multistory car park very close by with easy access. It's probably used mostly by office workers on weekdays in which case it is virtually empty in the evening and on Sat afternoons.

- there is even a listed curved building that the council have been trying to sell for £1 for ages. Latics could possibly get a grant and incorporated into the back of one of the stands and use it as a hotel, offices etc

This would seem like a much better site than failsworth, but then again, ANY site is much better than failsworth.

Erm.. No.

Well i'm bloody fed up of people moaning about it! - I dont see the problem, i live nearer to BP than the new site, yes in an ideal situation I'd keep it there but maybe it will be for the better of the club to move to a brand new stadium rather than staying in that dump.

Well i'm bloody fed up of people moaning about it! - I dont see the problem, i live nearer to BP than the new site, yes in an ideal situation I'd keep it there but maybe it will be for the better of the club to move to a brand new stadium rather than staying in that dump.

It's fine if you don't have a problem with it, but i do and i'm not going to just "get over it"

Easy access to a new ground , get real.

Don't you realise that today they have to build grounds with limited access to make it as difficult for supporters as possible-

ie Stoke , no parking within 2 miles so you have to walk in our wondderful winter climate and then sit for 90 miutes soaked to the skin.

Bolton ,probably half a mile to the motorway - brill , but gets so clogged with poor road management that it can take over an hour to do that half mile.

Why on earth would they put a ground somewhere with good access , good parking and right by a proposed metro line !!!!

Edited by losesome

A letter in the chron tonight from ' excelsior' makes some interesting points. A few of the sites mentioned include coal pit lane,snipe clough and lastly the Alexandra retail park.There is a suggestion of moving matalan and bensons beds into the town centre and acquiring this site.I'm not sure of the size of the plots mentioned but imo any of these would be favourable as opposed to moving to failsworth.Anyone got any thoughts or insight into these suggestions?

Yes Yes Yes. A football stadium would be fantastic there, and would be reachable for all Oldhamers due to its central location.

Yes Yes Yes. A football stadium would be fantastic there, and would be reachable for all Oldhamers due to its central location.

What's the ability to generate other income other than 4,000 Oldhamers walking up there every two weeks? Is there room for a series of football pitches. Is its location good for a hotel?

What's the ability to generate other income other than 4,000 Oldhamers walking up there every two weeks? Is there room for a series of football pitches. Is its location good for a hotel?

Wheres the ability to generate income on the proposed Manchester site? A few footy pitches won't generate much income and the Failsworth site doesn't have plans for a hotel, unless I've missed it. We need a bit of forward thinking, latics new ground could have been a real statement of intention for the town bowling, cinema etc., instead we get a lame duck in manchester.

Wheres the ability to generate income on the proposed Manchester site? A few footy pitches won't generate much income and the Failsworth site doesn't have plans for a hotel, unless I've missed it. We need a bit of forward thinking, latics new ground could have been a real statement of intention for the town bowling, cinema etc., instead we get a lame duck in manchester.

Yes they will. These things make an absolute fortune.

I'm not picking, but for every site that is brought to the table, something to make those sites at least partially self-sufficient needs to come with them.

I can't think that TTA have blindly taken the first option that comes to them, but if they have missed something will more than willingly look at any option. But just pointing at land and saying 'what about there' isn't going to bring anything.

Yes they will. These things make an absolute fortune.

I'm not picking, but for every site that is brought to the table, something to make those sites at least partially self-sufficient needs to come with them.

I can't think that TTA have blindly taken the first option that comes to them, but if they have missed something will more than willingly look at any option. But just pointing at land and saying 'what about there' isn't going to bring anything.

With Sports City just down the road, these pitches will not make an absolute fortune. And you've kind of backed up my point that a lame duck with no additional revenue stream and a smaller capacity than BP should have, is a death sentence.

The problem with a site that is already developed is that you will have demolition costs and potential contamination. From an environmental point of view, this is better as it's a brown field site and will be leaving green, ecologically valuable sites alone.

But there is a cost implication. And that is what will always be at the front of TTAs minds.

For goodness sake the letter started well but it isnt going to happen at Alexandra the site is too small for starters to make economic sense, the £1 railway building is a hindrance to project, and never in a million years is it going to be built near Glodwick for risk factors of idiots coming to town and causing trouble.

Coal Pit lane is not going to happen as coverered on other threads.

3 sites spring to mind as doable if the political will was supportive.

Higginshaw Gas works is crying out to be reclaimed and is a big site close to salmon fields link road and within touching distance of BP.

Breeze Hill School off Abbeyhills Road site, loads of space and would tap into Tameside via Lees New Road. Whats it earmarked for when the school shuts?

then MY controversial choice move to Tameside near new cinema, infinitely superior to Failsworth and ready to be developed now, huge site, easy access by car and motorway network. Yeah shoot me its not in Oldham but feels a better spot than Failsworth. in an area of regeneration and a council with a vision. Drove past this morning and its so easy to visualise a tidy stadium and community facilities linking to running track and existing 3g pitch off the moss.

but wait its Failsworth or nowhere as the price is right. I absolutely hate the location and believe its a massive mistake having had time to reflect on issues. Chances of increasing support in Failsworth minimal. Chances of losing support from many obvious. so the move has to have potential for gaining a new audience. Will Failsworth do that.

Coal Pit lane ideal for location for catchment but the land owner wont let it go cheap and in green belt. how an old cold mine can be green belt God knows.

Why do you hate Failsworth as a location but are in favour of Ashton Moss? That's never been Oldham, Failsworth is, has the land and great transport links. From where I live and many people east of Oldham town centre, a move to Failsworth would be easier for me to get to than to get to BP is right now. Breeze Hill would be a non-starter, the roads struggle as it is, would take forever and I'm sure the residents around there would be chuffed to have a new stadium built on their doorstep.

Coal Pit Lane could be an option if the ground wasn't likely to collapse down some shaft and a road could be built direct to the motorway, not near the rail/metrolink though.

This is what seems to be the thinking behind the proposed Failsworth stadium. Everything is based on the idea that we will never have more than the mythical '4000 Oldhamers' to call on. And this despite the fact that our avergae home gate hasn't sunk quite so low in decades. It's why the proposed capacity is to be 12000. Ambition to be more than we are now is well and truly dead, and a substantial section of the hardcore support can barely contain their happiness about it.

I passed the Wallsall stadium on the motorway the other afternoon. I saw our future.

This is what seems to be the thinking behind the proposed Failsworth stadium. Everything is based on the idea that we will never have more than the mythical '4000 Oldhamers' to call on. And this despite the fact that our avergae home gate hasn't sunk quite so low in decades. It's why the proposed capacity is to be 12000. Ambition to be more than we are now is well and truly dead, and a substantial section of the hardcore support can barely contain their happiness about it.

I passed the Walsall stadium on the motorway the other afternoon. I saw our future.

I don't see moving to the outskirts of Birmingham as a viable option.