Alan Hansen

You cannot deny that the performances of teams like Blackburn, who lost 4-1 at home to Coventry, and Everton, who lost 1-0 to Oldham at Goodison Park, were massively disappointing for the competition.

WHAT!?

Team's like Latics beating teams like Everton is what makes the FA Cup the greatest Club competition in the world!!

Idiot!

WHAT!?

Team's like Latics beating teams like Everton is what makes the FA Cup the greatest Club competition in the world!!

Idiot!

Have you got a link to the quote? Where is it from?

If it's true he's an even more massively deluded fool than I first thought. For these people, like outside the Premiership simply doesn't exist.

I wonder if he ever keeps a track on his old club; Alloa's results? I doubt it somehow.

WHAT!?

Idiot!

Not trying to stick up for Hansen but I needed to read the quote a couple of times to decide exactly what he meant.

I think he is saying that the performances that Blackburn and Everton were dissapointing, which is arguably true, and not the results themselves.

Does that make sense?

Not trying to stick up for Hansen but I needed to read the quote a couple of times to decide exactly what he meant.

I think he is saying that the performances that Blackburn and Everton were dissapointing, which is arguably true, and not the results themselves.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does...

He is saying the way Blackburn and Everton approached the games, aka "its only the fourth round"... was dissapointing....he is suggesting the FA cup isnt as important to them these days.....

But at the same time saying the best thing about the cup is big upsets....

Perfect world...Everton played a FULL (aka Cahill etc) strength side and Oldham beat them.....

"You cannot deny that the performances of teams like Blackburn, who lost 4-1 at home to Coventry, and Everton, who lost 1-0 to Oldham at Goodison Park, were massively disappointing for the competition."

So he's saying bigger teams being knocked out by smaller teams is massively disappointing for the competition.

If that is the case why not just put the 'big' four together in the semis and not bother with the rest of the competition.

So much for giant killing and the 'magic' of the cup.

Stupid comment made obviously without thinking about what he is saying through, idiot.

Yes it does...

He is saying the way Blackburn and Everton approached the games, aka "its only the fourth round"... was dissapointing....he is suggesting the FA cup isnt as important to them these days.....

But at the same time saying the best thing about the cup is big upsets....

Perfect world...Everton played a FULL (aka Cahill etc) strength side and Oldham beat them.....

But the reality is worse:

A 3/4 strength Everton lost to a half strength Oldham, with 2 kids with no senior experience, 1 with 3 games, and players that have not played since Sept and all season on the bench.

For these people, like outside the Premiership simply doesn't exist.

Talking to a new guy at work the other day who's a big United fan and season ticket holder.

Him: who's the manager at your place.

Me: John Sheridan.

Him: who?

Him: never heard of him.

Oh dear oh dear. Think of a League cup final circa 1990.

Thats the difference with lower league supporters over Premier league supporters. I think we see the whole scope of proffessional football, from the Premier league due its mass coverage to watching 3rd tier football every week.

Talking to a new guy at work the other day who's a big United fan and season ticket holder.

Him: who's the manager at your place.

Him: who?

Him: never heard of him.

Oh dear oh dear. Think of a League cup final circa 1990.

If he doesn't know who John Sheridan is then he can't be much of a football fan or much of a Manure fan ST or not.

WHAT!?

Idiot!

I think you've misquoted him massively Ackey. The full article is here.

He is actually on about the bigger clubs disrespecting the competition by playing weakened sides if you read it all, as he goes on to say how encouraging it is there's lots of 'lesser' teams left in it.

It obviously goes to show that it doesn't weaken it that much, the magic is still very much there! That said, it really must be pointed out that our team was a lot more weakened than Everton's was given who we had playing at Leeds a few days earlier.

"You cannot deny that the performances of teams like Blackburn, who lost 4-1 at home to Coventry, and Everton, who lost 1-0 to Oldham at Goodison Park, were massively disappointing for the competition."

So he's saying bigger teams being knocked out by smaller teams is massively disappointing for the competition.

If that is the case why not just put the 'big' four together in the semis and not bother with the rest of the competition.

So much for giant killing and the 'magic' of the cup.

Stupid comment made obviously without thinking about what he is saying through, idiot.

Picking our comment there really.

I think the pivotal part of this is:

"Nobody outside of those four clubs have won the competition since Everton in 1995, so it would be fantastic for the competition if we had an outsider winning it. "

Therefore it is a shame Everton/Blackburn have thrown it* as there is no one that can break open the quadopoly.

*I know they didn't.

I stand by my Sun-esq quotation! :lol:

He's on a rant about the magic of the cup being lost, and whist I know what he means about teams playing "weaker" (We'll not get into that argument) sides against lower level opposition he's completly missed the point that lower level teams winning against the top 10 is what the FA cup has always been about!

Picking our comment there really.

I think the pivotal part of this is:

"Nobody outside of those four clubs have won the competition since Everton in 1995, so it would be fantastic for the competition if we had an outsider winning it. "

Therefore it is a shame Everton/Blackburn have thrown it* as there is no one that can break open the quadopoly.

*I know they didn't.

I was only responding to the quote Ackey posted, I hadn't seen the full article.

However, after reading the full article it does put that statement in a different context.

I absolutely despise Alan Hansen, he's a stuck it know it all who thinks if it's not Premiership then it's not football.

HOWEVER I don't think he is disrespecting us there more than saying that maybe some Premiership teams aren't taking it seriously anymore.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

I stand by my Sun-esq quotation! :lol:

He's on a rant about the magic of the cup being lost, and whist I know what he means about teams playing "weaker" (We'll not get into that argument) sides against lower level opposition he's completly missed the point that lower level teams winning against the top 10 is what the FA cup has always been about!

I think there is a big issue with the Prem teams not treating the FA cup serious enough... How many prem teams are through to the fourth round ? I have never known so many upsets...

I think there is a big issue with the Prem teams not treating the FA cup serious enough... How many prem teams are through to the fourth round ? I have never known so many upsets...

This is an issue that's been around for a good while now. After all, it's starkly evident that only the top 4 have been winning the competition each year. In the 70's, 80's and early 90's there was a whole host of unfashionable teams winning it, along with the usual suspects. Now you can bet your house on either Man United, Chelsea or Arsenal winning, possibly even Liverpool too.

The media or constantly shutting the door when the horse has bolted. As soon as the Premier league was announced football as a tradition was in trouble. Even Man United pulling out of it in 1999 (disgraceful IMO) was a screaming sign of what's to come yet everyone is only bleating about it now.

As for upsets and romance, there will be plenty of that, perhaps more often but the supposed big 4 will continue to win it, perhaps to be punctuated by the odd unfashionable club on rare occasions.

Your wrong really....it wasnt the setup of the prem that changed things as far as the eventual winners goes....you have to go into the 70's before you start seeing a real mix of teams...Totenham / Everton won it alot in the early 80's but they were one of the biggest sides back then....

Only in 87 (Conventry) , 88 Wimbledon did unfashionable teams win it in my eyes...

1980 West Ham United

1981 Tottenham Hotspur

1982 Tottenham Hotspur

1983 Manchester United

1984 Everton

1985 Manchester United

1986 Liverpool

1987 Coventry City

1988 Wimbledon

1989 Liverpool

1990 Manchester United

1991 Tottenham Hotspur