Kilkenny chooses "massive" club instead of the Club he "loves".

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to all married men...You love your wife n kids, then 1 day yer out at the pub, this stunnin blonde gives you the come on, lovely house, lovely car, loadsa dough, but you really love yer wife, but hey ho, up sticks cos shes the dogs!!....dont think so!

BB80, yep, shades of grey. Although it isn't all about money. It's about career and money. I honestly think the first thing the majority of professional footballers want is success - to play as high up in the game as they can (i.e. career). The second thing they want is the money that goes with it. In some cases, they end up getting that wrong way round and (probably in part on the poor advice of greedy agents) chase the money first and foremost. They're usually the ones that end up no higher than the Championship, and wishing they'd had different priorities in their youth when they look back on it all as a 32 year old lower league journeyman.

to all married men...You love your wife n kids, then 1 day yer out at the pub, this stunnin blonde gives you the come on, lovely house, lovely car, loadsa dough, but you really love yer wife, but hey ho, up sticks cos shes the dogs!!....dont think so!

True. But completely irrelevant.

They're usually the ones that end up no higher than the Championship, and wishing they'd had different priorities in their youth when they look back on it all as a 32 year old lower league journeyman.

That reminds me of the path someone elses career is taking.

*waves towards Doncaster*

I`ll go for

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/leeds/See-i...tomy.3648891.jp

dump the scumbags in the bluesquare league :angry:

Indeed....said it for months....that -15pts shouldve been -20 or even 25pts. Funny how the FA has said absolutely :censored: all about that Ipswich game. Disgusting head in sands move, just coz Leeds were getting done elsewhere. Why should that mean they get away with their antics that day vs Ipswich?

Indeed....said it for months....that -15pts shouldve been -20 or even 25pts. Funny how the FA has said absolutely :censored: all about that Ipswich game. Disgusting head in sands move, just coz Leeds were getting done elsewhere. Why should that mean they get away with their antics that day vs Ipswich?

Not to mention allowing them to cheat their way into avoiding a 10-point deduction for going into administration.

Good luck to him, class player and it's pretty obvious to me he did have a great affection for this club.

Can totally understand his decision.

if he had been here for 2 years would it of made any difference then???

if you work for a company and get offered a better job,but you been in your old job for a few years,would you still risk it then,or would you hedge your bets,think it over before deciding.

i would of hoped he would of repaid us a little and stuck with us till the end of the season,then if we dont go up he has a perfect excuse,and nobody would begrudge him then,its just the way it has happened and who he has gone too that riles people,lets hope they stay down,you will find out how loyal he is then.

if he had been here for 2 years would it of made any difference then???

if you work for a company and get offered a better job,but you been in your old job for a few years,would you still risk it then,or would you hedge your bets,think it over before deciding.

i would of hoped he would of repaid us a little and stuck with us till the end of the season,then if we dont go up he has a perfect excuse,and nobody would begrudge him then,its just the way it has happened and who he has gone too that riles people,lets hope they stay down,you will find out how loyal he is then.

It's not the same, football is a short career. I'm sorry but anyone who can't see the difference in potential between Oldham and Leeds needs their head examining. He has no need to repay us, I'm grateful he chose to come back a second time. Kilkenny is a lot lot better than this division and he has far bigger chance of making it at a higher level with Leeds than with a team that has been stuck in the same division for how many years now? It is a kick in the balls that he went to Leeds of all teams but to begrudge someone who's looking after his career is just being bitter IMO.

"I'm sorry but anyone who can't see the difference in potential between Oldham and Leeds needs their head examining."

TRUE

"Kilkenny is a lot lot better than this division"

NOT TRUE

Inconsistent in this division. Still to prove he can be a class above. Do what we all know he can do more regularly and then yes, he's better than this level. He hasn't so far though. And as no-one came in from a division above, he's not a lot, lot better than this division at all.

"I'm sorry but anyone who can't see the difference in potential between Oldham and Leeds needs their head examining."

TRUE

"Kilkenny is a lot lot better than this division"

NOT TRUE

Inconsistent in this division. Still to prove he can be a class above. Do what we all know he can do more regularly and then yes, he's better than this level. He hasn't so far though. And as no-one came in from a division above, he's not a lot, lot better than this division at all.

Kilkenny is still very inexperienced at league level. In FIVE years he's made 50 appearances, mostly with us (If you want a stark comparison, Richie Wellens has made 284 in a similar period). You can't expect a player with stats like that to control every game he plays in. Personally, I thought he was getting a higher level of consistancy in the last couple of months, and it also highlighted how rudderless we looked in the first couple of months of the season when he was injured or playing with a knock. My expectations is now he's playing regular football he'll play at a higher level for years to come. This all remains to be seen but match experience is vitally important.

I can't believe how much some of you have slated Neil.

During his two periods here he has given his all and he has openly admitted how much he loves our club. However, the opportunity to join Leeds was too good to turn down both financially and career wise.

Ignoring the fact that it's Leeds and take off your blue-tinted specs for a second but Neil has joined a club that is larger in terms of revenue generation, scope and fan base plus a club that is more likely to succeed and prosper at the next than us. That may well upset you or cause shock to some blinded but it's the stark truth.

What I do know is Neil is upset with the reaction of some fans, which is totally understandable because , IMHO, the criticism he has received is totally unfair and ignorant to the point of blind stupidity.

Forget all this analogy talk because a true analogy is Paul Scholes - he loves the club, wants us to succeed and could have quite easily saw one of previous contracts out and moved to us for free. That would never happen because he has a wife and kids to support despite earning millions. The same goes for Neil, where in a short career, Neil needs to move to maximise his income. In relative terms, players at this level can only dream of earning the same as those in the Prem and it could take years to accomplish this so you need to get it whilst you can.

For me Neil has give more to this club than hundreds of players who have come here either permanently or temporarily. He has shown far more commitment than some with the comfort of a long-term contract that has crippled us in the past.

Edited by Midsblue

I can't believe how much some of you have slated Neil.

During his two periods here he has given his all and he has openly admitted how much he loves our club. However, the opportunity to join Leeds was too good to turn down both financially and career wise.

Ignoring the fact that it's Leeds and take off your blue-tinted specs for a second but Neil has joined a club that is larger in terms of revenue generation, scope and fan base plus a club that is more likely to succeed and prosper at the next than us. That may well upset you or cause shock to some blinded but it's the stark truth.

What I do know is Neil is upset with the reaction of some fans, which is totally understandable because , IMHO, the criticism he has received is totally unfair and ignorant to the point of blind stupidity.

Forget all this analogy talk because a true analogy is Paul Scholes - he loves the club, wants us to succeed and could have quite easily saw one of previous contracts out and moved to us for free. That would never happen because he has a wife and kids to support despite earning millions. The same goes for Neil, where in a short career, Neil needs to move to maximise his income. In relative terms, players at this level can only dream of earning the same as those in the Prem and it could take years to accomplish this so you need to get it whilst you can.

For me Neil has give more to this club than hundreds of players who have come here either permanently or temporarily. He has shown far more commitment than some with the comfort of a long-term contract that has crippled us in the past.

What commitment has he shown to us.................

He up sticks and left the first chance he got, he used us to get out of Brum. Sorry no commitment there.......

All very good points. So we are deluding ourselves that we'll ever get up the leagues are we? cos we're at a level and all we'll get is that level of player. The day we all start believing that is the day the crowd falls and the club goes. I am sorry I will not accept that is all we should expect for OAFC. Kilkenny was offered a very good deal here, he was offered being made the cornerstone of this club for years to come. He was offered to spearhead our return to the Championship whilst the ground and club around the playing staff was to be built up. I call that a fantastic opportunity and after we answered his call to deliver him from his Birmingham stiffs nightmare the very least he could have done was see out this season and see where it took us. I am glad he's upset, he's every right to be with himself to be honest.

And I don't want one single stupid comment. I dont see the above as stupid ok.

Edited by Lags

He up sticks and left the first chance he got, he used us to get out of Brum. Sorry no commitment there.......

Thats bull.....we got a good player for very little money (i doubt we payed all his wages)......he was never contracted to us.....we used his talents for little investment.....we used him as much as he used us.... we owe each other nothing....

All very good points. So we are deluding ourselves that we'll ever get up the leagues are we? cos we're at a level and all we'll get is that level of player. The day we all start believing that is the day the crowd falls and the club goes. I am sorry I will not accept that is all we should expect for OAFC. Kilkenny was offered a very good deal here, he was offered being made the cornerstone of this club for years to come. He was offered to spearhead our return to the Championship whilst the ground and club around the playing staff was to be built up. I call that a fantastic opportunity and after we answered his call to deliver him from his Birmingham stiffs nightmare the very least he could have done was see out this season and see where it took us. I am glad he's upset, he's every right to be with himself to be honest.

And I don't want one single stupid comment. I dont see the above as stupid ok.

...stupid....oh come on :) you was asking for it :)

:getmecoat:

Edited by oafc0000

Thinking things through, I realise I'm quite blinkered in reverse. I've wished him well and am understanding because I didn't really want him here if we were going to break the bank. I can see how people aren't happy about him leaving.

He does actually owe us though. Before he came here the second time, he was on the phone to Hardy every day begging to be brought back. We have done him a favour by putting him in the shop window. He's shown his true colours by saying that money talks and if we are all honest, do we want a player here that feels like that?

He's gone now, let's all move on too.

[name=Lags' date='Jan 9 2008, 10:01 AM' post='85123]

All very good points. So we are deluding ourselves that we'll ever get up the leagues are we? cos we're at a level and all we'll get is that level of player. The day we all start believing that is the day the crowd falls and the club goes. I am sorry I will not accept that is all we should expect for OAFC.

In real terms we've already reached that point. Not enough people attend games at BP to make the Club viable and it is only TTA putting their hands in their pockets that keeps the Club in existence so that many stay-at-homes can enjoy the occasional day out like last Saturday.

Kilkenny was offered a very good deal here, he was offered being made the cornerstone of this club for years to come. He was offered to spearhead our return to the Championship whilst the ground and club around the playing staff was to be built up. I call that a fantastic opportunity and after we answered his call to deliver him from his Birmingham stiffs nightmare the very least he could have done was see out this season and see where it took us. I am glad he's upset, he's every right to be with himself to be honest.

Agree with your thought about Kilkenny turning down the opportunity offered to him. However, I think the Club was wrong to offer to make him the highest paid player, as I don't think he is worth that.

Thinking things through, I realise I'm quite blinkered in reverse. I've wished him well and am understanding because I didn't really want him here if we were going to break the bank. I can see how people aren't happy about him leaving.

He does actually owe us though. Before he came here the second time, he was on the phone to Hardy every day begging to be brought back. We have done him a favour by putting him in the shop window. He's shown his true colours by saying that money talks and if we are all honest, do we want a player here that feels like that?

He's gone now, let's all move on too.

cant beleive our own fans are saying we have no potential......

nobody can deny any player the chance to progress and better himself,but like has been said the club was willing to build a team around him,and get back to the championship.

there would of been no harm in staying untill the end of the season,like i said,if we dont go up he had a ready made excuse,tried his best and people wouldnt be sat here now having a pop at him.

Apparently he wanted to come to us over championship clubs and surely it has been beneficial for us to have him here. If not, why are people so bitter at him leaving. If he has played well and got a deal with a better club because of it, then surely we must have benefited.

Apparently he wanted to come to us over championship clubs and surely it has been beneficial for us to have him here. If not, why are people so bitter at him leaving. If he has played well and got a deal with a better club because of it, then surely we must have benefited.

the championship clubs were,Cardiff and Blackpoo