Kilkenny chooses "massive" club instead of the Club he "loves".

In tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

Kilkenny bids a sad farewell

MICHAEL YARWOOD’S weekly look behind the scenes at Boundary Park

NEIL KILKENNY has admitted it was a tough decision to reject Athletic’s contract offer and sign for League One rivals Leeds.

The talented 22-year-old moved to Elland Road last Friday, quitting Athletic despite their eagerness to keep him after a successful five-month loan spell.

A fee had been agreed with Birmingham and Kilkenny would have become the highest-paid player at Boundary Park, but the lure of the Yorkshire giants was too much to resist.

Kilkenny also turned down Doncaster before making a winning Leeds debut against Northampton on Saturday – when he was man of the match.

Kilkenny said: “It has never been a secret that I love Oldham, I love the people and I love the club, so leaving wasn’t easy.

“It was a very tough decision, but everyone knows Leeds are a massive club and I had to take that into my mind.

“I had a couple of offers and there were one or two other clubs sniffing round, but it’s hard saying no to Leeds and I hope the Oldham fans don’t hold it against me.

“I loved being there and I had a good relationship with the crowd, so hopefully they will appreciate what I did.

“I tried my hardest in every game, including for the last couple of weeks when I knew there was a possibility I wouldn’t be going back.

“I wanted to go out on a high and leave them in good stead, which is what happened because we were winning lots of games.”

Kilkenny has had two loan spells at Boundary Park, playing 59 matches and scoring eight goals.

The Australian international was made available by new Birmingham boss Alex McLeish, who is looking to build his own squad.

Kilkenny’s final Athletic appearance was on New Year’s Day when Leeds found their unbeaten home record being shattered.

He had a superb game and is in no doubt his new manager, Dennis Wise, was impressed by what he saw.

Kilkenny admitted: “I’m sure it was part of the reason he signed me, although I did okay against Leeds earlier in the season and he did know me a bit already.

“I bumped into him in Australia during the summer, we discussed what was happening at Birmingham and he said he would keep an eye on it.

“Dennis Wise was a quality midfield player, so I’m looking forward to learning from him, plus all the other coaching staff at Leeds.

“I think it helps when your manager understands you, and that was definitely the case with John Sheridan and Oldham.

“Shez helped me to improve as a player because I had a great relationship with him and I knew he trusted me out on the pitch.

“He gave me the confidence to try things and express myself, which a certain other manager at Birmingham (Steve Bruce) never did.

“I’ve left Oldham with good memories and I was really happy when I saw their brilliant FA Cup result at Everton.

“At the start of the season I could have signed for one or two clubs in the Championship, but I signed for Oldham and I hope that shows how much I wanted to play for them.”

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly the arse some people are trying to make him look...

Good luck Neil....

Still think you should of signed for us :)

Agree.

An insight into what a difficult choice it was for him to make. It also indicates that had we been up against Donny we'd have got him but the lure of regular football in front of big crowds in a nicer stadium and a bit of extra cash on the hip was the deciding factor.

I know it's Leeds and I hate them as much as the next 'un but I wish him no malice. And it isn't a Wellens-esque parting shot either.

Doesn't talk about love for Oldham during his Leeds introduction interviews...save it. Hope you stay down. Twice is enough, first giving him a platform and second resurrecting a career. At the very least he could have given to the end of this season. Charlie!

Doesn't talk about love for Oldham during his Leeds introduction interviews...save it.

Why should he? It's for Leeds United. And how do you know he hasn't?

Twice is enough, first giving him a platform and second resurrecting a career. At the very least he could have given to the end of this season. Charlie!

You make it sound like he owes us the moon on a stick. He doesn't owe us anything, and never strung us along in the slightest. Yet, make it sound like he did Lags. Brum wanted rid of him, he selected a bigger prospect over a smaller prospect and seemingly at least another season at this level.

FMS. If you're happy a player who as gained so much through being here can instantly over look us...fine for you. The club pulled out all the stops to get him here this time around when Kilkenny was bleating for us to rescue him from his Brum nightmare. Well our club rolled out the red carpet with diamonds on this time and he swanned. End off Charlie.

“At the start of the season I could have signed for one or two clubs in the Championship, but I signed for Oldham and I hope that shows how much I wanted to play for them.”

..... and then you bugger off to leeds because its a bigger club!

Apart from that met him a few times and i can only wish him luck, he has aspirations and who would say no to the lure of more money and a bigger club.

Thanks and good luck killer!

what an ansa, BUGGER OFF TO LEEDS? please dont tell me too, one of us is definately gonna regret it! my thoughts are the word love is used to lightly, money cant buy you love, he didnt love us, he loved himself! granted he did us a favor, but we deffo did him 1, he didnt love us, dosnt love us...he used us as much as we used him. He dosnt play for us anymore so Feck him! Feck porter! and feck anyone else who has been given the choice to turn us down, I for one cant stand em!

..... and then you bugger off to leeds because its a bigger club!

Apart from that met him a few times and i can only wish him luck, he has aspirations and who would say no to the lure of more money and a bigger club.

Thanks and good luck killer!

Money's not everything..

Im with Lags on this one

Guest oa_exile
Bully for you you see it that way. I on the otherhand have a sense of loyalty to those that deserve it and proud of it.

Money's not everything..

Im with Lags on this one

It's always a tough call when this happens....... and i get angry , BUT Loyalty & Football went out of the window with Bosman.

That is the harsh reality , he is not the first and will not be the last as WE keep finding out :disappointed:

Lags, it's getting difficult to work out now whether you're just being awkward, or you really are stupid.

Do you have a job?

What do you do?

If you were made an offer by a bigger competitor that gave you more money and better career prospects, would you stay with your current employer out of simple loyalty?

If not, you're the same as 95% of employees. Including footballers.

If you would stay, well that's very admirable I'm sure, but don't expect your employer to repay that loyalty if hard times hit. Loyalty might be a fine and honourable trait but it counts for feck all in the real world.

Edited by garcon

"If you were made an offer by a bigger competitor that gave you more money and better career prospects, would you stay with your current employer out of simple loyalty?

If not, you're the same as 95% of employees. Including footballers."

Interesting comment. To be honest, I try and see both sides on this. I'd like to see more loyalty. But yes, money does talk. What got me over the Wellens debacle is that he wasn't asking for that much more and it was available as we spent it elsewhere. So I was gutted the club didn't stump it up. With KK, I'm quite indifferent. For me, he really wasn't worth the £120k nor the wages we were offering. So I'm glad in a way he's not accepted it coz it's money in our back for other players who I feel we need more, than 1 player (that personally, I rate but not like others.) I don't have a dislike of KK for going to Leeds but I hate Leeds, so that sways me to hoping he doesn't do well there.

But here's the thing....

On one hand people say you'd take the money...but then we all scoff and show utter displeasure at the amount of money footballers earn and the continual rise of wages in the game. If we're happy to accept they go for the money, is it right to complain about what they earn? Tough one....some I think should show loyalty (possibly KK, altho the lure of Leeds, sadly is too big) whereas I think sometimes some have the right to ask for a little more (Wellens.) Then you get utter :censored:s like Porter....who really threw loyalty in our faces, went to a club with little if any lure and can't be on more than what we would've offered IMO. Shades of grey on it all.

Edited by boundaryblue80