Theres A Surprise

I think the treatment he got was unfair given he did something that 100% of people would do by getting the best deal for himself, people higher than him in the club should have shouldered more of the blame.

I agree people higher up should shoulder some of the blame but that dosent excuess what Porter did.... I personally think a footballer player is a million miles away from a brick layer.... You just simply cant compare them.... He had a choice, championship clubs where intrested....and im sure those offers would of been good...

By doing what he did he screwed over the club that gave him his break (Bury) and the club that put alot of money into him (oldham)....it was an arseholes trick...

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind us, what about Bury.. They also got shafted by greed. I know you can use the old what would you do if you were offered more money for doing the same job, however Mr Porter could have done 2 things, kept to wis word or move to a Championship side and pay back the grass roots, he did neither...

Never mind us, what about Bury.. They also got shafted by greed. I know you can use the old what would you do if you were offered more money for doing the same job, however Mr Porter could have done 2 things, kept to wis word or move to a Championship side and pay back the grass roots, he did neither...

Exaclty! Bury were due 20% I belive... They where as gutted as us when he went for nowt....

Were any Championship clubs interested beyond paper talk? Even if they were, non were prepared to pay the money TTA believed he was worth.

You dont know that....

It would have come out when TTA were slagging off Porter and his agent, plus theres no way Porter would have turned a championship club with bigger crowds and bigger wages for Scotland, bar the bid from Plymouth last Jan no-one came in for him with an offer acceptable.

Think it might have been 2 years when Makin went to Marseille, but this could have changed or i could be wrong. This is beginning to smell more than the Teves scandal.

Chris Makin was in France for 366 days!

Porter completely screwed over not just ourselves but Bury as well.

I don't believe that he genuinely wanted to move up to Scotland but he will have received some serious money for doing it. I have no doubt that he, and his agent, will be on a percentage of any sell on fee that Motherwell receive.

At the end of the day it was upto him and he made his decision. It would be nice to think that after what has happened at Motherwell recently, he will have had the opportunity to look at himself and realise that there is more to life than chasing an extra few quid and possibly realise that he has a lot to be grateful for (in no small part down to the faith shown in himself by Bury and Oldham).

For us, however, it is time to move on. That part of our history has gone. Let's concentrate on ensuring that we hang on to the latest crop of promising youngsters or at least get fair compensation if they are destined for bigger things.

It would have come out when TTA were slagging off Porter and his agent, plus theres no way Porter would have turned a championship club with bigger crowds and bigger wages for Scotland, bar the bid from Plymouth last Jan no-one came in for him with an offer acceptable.

Again...you dont know that!!!

Also you have to rememebr that Porter didnt go at the last min....there was a number of clubs intrested in him, I even heard MIddlesborugh and Botlon both menthioned....just because no offer arrived dosent mean one wasnt coming...motherwell came out of nowhere and swooped in.....

Im afraid coco you have shown me nothing to change my mind on this issue. Your basically saying it is ok what he did because no one else had offered us money....I think this is a poor line of defence...there was a heck of alot of intrest in porter and the clever money says that a number of offers where going to come in for him....

I think the treatment he got was unfair given he did something that 100% of people would do by getting the best deal for himself, people higher than him in the club should have shouldered more of the blame.

I NORMALLY DONT RESPOND TO THESE TYPE OF POSTS BUT YOU'VE

GOT TO BE ................... :censored:

Edited by oa_exile
Abusive towards another member

Again...you dont know that!!!

Also you have to rememebr that Porter didnt go at the last min....there was a number of clubs intrested in him, I even heard MIddlesborugh and Botlon both menthioned....just because no offer arrived dosent mean one wasnt coming...motherwell came out of nowhere and swooped in.....

Im afraid coco you have shown me nothing to change my mind on this issue. Your basically saying it is ok what he did because no one else had offered us money....I think this is a poor line of defence...there was a heck of alot of intrest in porter and the clever money says that a number of offers where going to come in for him....

The move to Scotland was on the cards for atleast 2 weeks with the offer from one of the Dundee clubs, plenty of time for clubs to come in for him for yet no-one was willing to make a bid at the price TTA wanted,.

Those are the simple facts of the case, you don't think that if there was a tiny possibility Porter getting a move to the Prem that his agent wouldn't have held on? They knew nothing was coming and the bridges were burnt at Oldham.

The move to Scotland was on the cards for atleast 2 weeks with the offer from one of the Dundee clubs, plenty of time for clubs to come in for him for yet no-one was willing to make a bid at the price TTA wanted,.

Those are the simple facts of the case, you don't think that if there was a tiny possibility Porter getting a move to the Prem that his agent wouldn't have held on? They knew nothing was coming and the bridges were burnt at Oldham.

If you seriously think only Motherwell where after his signature then your seriously misguided....

Absoluetly no bitterness to him whatsoever. "Lets hope he breaks his leg" - What a knobhead said that!

Out of curiosity - how many of you who are wishing ill on him wanted us to profit from the firesale @ Luton? Its all right ripping someone off as long as its us doing it isn't it?

Someone mentions earlier in this thread about the"Die Ricketts" song vs Walsall. That was the day Phil O'Donnell died. I hope the pillocks who were singing that watched the news that day and had a look at themselves. I doubt it.

GROW UP.

Edited by pukka

You'd put big money on him moving back down wouldn't you.

THe quote there about loathe to lose him but a decent offer for a free transfer is telling.

Is he still with his girlfiriend!

If so, of the ones reported interested

Derby, Wigan, Plymouth, Ipswich, Sheffield United and Norwich

You'd put Sheff Utd first, Wigan then Derby.

Hopefully we'll be playing him next season then!

Aye would defo be nice to have a pop at him the to$$er

Met one of his mates in November. Apparently he only had the option of Motherwell as no Championship clubs got to the point of having a bid accepted. He doesn't think his injuries will hold up into his 30's and wants all the cash he can get while he is playing. Don't blame him one bit.

Edited by ritchie82

Without sounding completelly heartless, but I hope he breaks his leg which ends his career so he has to get a job like everyone else. Think he and his agent knew exactly what they were doing. And I think its a joke.

Bit harsh don't you think. That is almost like wishing MRSA onto a nurse... So he screwed us over (Or rather his agent did) As said. We just need to hope he signs for a club who we meet in the cup. You can moan at him then..... Hopefully not during the game though. :):)

according to a lot of people he was rubbish anyway despite his goals so i dont understand why people are so bitter!!

I don't seriously think anyone on here really and truthfully thought he was/is rubbish, 23 goal strikers do not grow on trees and he certainly is not rubbish as he is also proving at Motherwell.

People are very annoyed and indeed bitter over the circumstances of his departure, which was the very worst possible scenario for Latics, losing a good and saleable player and getting absolutely nothing in return.

I think its quite understandable that people are annoyed with Porter and his agent, they really did Latics a massive dis-service over the circumstances of his departure in exposing a loophole in the transfer system.

I don't seriously think anyone on here really and truthfully thought he was/is rubbish, 23 goal strikers do not grow on trees and he certainly is not rubbish as he is also proving at Motherwell.

People are very annoyed and indeed bitter over the circumstances of his departure, which was the very worst possible scenario for Latics, losing a good and saleable player and getting absolutely nothing in return.

I think its quite understandable that people are annoyed with Porter and his agent, they really did Latics a massive dis-service over the circumstances of his departure in exposing a loophole in the transfer system.

On the contray....some people do belive Porter was rubbish.... Then again I really dont rate the opinions of these people....

Out of curiosity - how many of you who are wishing ill on him wanted us to profit from the firesale @ Luton? Its all right ripping someone off as long as its us doing it isn't it?

Completely different scenario. It is/was in Luton's interest to get rid/sell players in such a manner. It was in no way in our interest for Porter to do the dirty and bob off to Scotland on a free.

The Motherwell move still doesn't make that much sense to me and I think there were some seriously underhand dealings going on here. Whoever "buys" him will leap up my table of hate.

Although I wouldn't wish any player to break his leg (face dropping is okay), these things happen in football and he would be the player I would least dislike to break his leg and never play again and end up destitute and have to sell a kidney for money, before living homeless in the streets of Glasgow before getting a habit and spending most of his life flitting between an park bench and a gaol cell.

Met one of his mates in November. Apparently he only had the option of Motherwell as no Championship clubs got to the point of having a bid accepted. He doesn't think his injuries will hold up into his 30's and wants all the cash he can get while he is playing. Don't blame him one bit.

And that, in a nutshell, is what's wrong with football these days.

He was only EVER interested in lining his pockets. Got a big fat signing-on fee, which McGhee more or less admitted during an interview.

The way I understand it, the club turned down the Plymouth ofer in Jan on the strength of Porter and his agent saying that he would sing a new contract in the summer. Then he changed his wage demands so TTA were resigned to losing him.

I think it's a pisstake that the fee for him joining us from Bury was set at £150k, yet he was allowed to walk away for free at the end of his contract without a 2nd thought for us.

Incidentally, how many of us on here (and I know there were a good few) fully anticipated his move to Scotland would be followed by another move in the window or in trhe summer. What a snake.

The way I understand it, the club turned down the Plymouth ofer in Jan on the strength of Porter and his agent saying that he would sing a new contract in the summer. Then he changed his wage demands so TTA were resigned to losing him.

I think that's because at the time when Plymouth were sniffing we were smashing everybody in sight and looked a very decent bet for automatic promotion. I'm sure he would have been quite happy to sign a new and improved contract with us as a free agent following our promotion. It goes to show why it doesn't make a lot of sense to expect players to stay with us and achieve their ambitions here, it doesn't always work out like that.

Absoluetly no bitterness to him whatsoever. "Lets hope he breaks his leg" - What a knobhead said that!

Someone mentions earlier in this thread about the"Die Ricketts" song vs Walsall. That was the day Phil O'Donnell died. I hope the pillocks who were singing that watched the news that day and had a look at themselves. I doubt it.

GROW UP.

Well said.

We offered him a contract he didn't accept it, so what, thats up to him. Can anyone actually prove that another club in England offered a contract as good as the one he got from Motherwell? They are doing well in the league and have a chance at qualifying for europe if they finish 3rd (i think). He has serious injury problems which means he can't guarantee to playing football for years to come and should they flair up at the wrong time would cause him to fail a medical.