Where's the promised new blood?

Why does it always seem to be Latics scraping the barrel during the selling period ? Are we just not fancied by the talent we're after? I know there are cash constraints but presumably Shez has more sense than to pitch for a player that carries an exorbitant transfer fee and I know he wouldn't want to import inflated salaries (a la Kilkenny) and thus limit his options with other players. Now a £500k income boost from the sale of Trotman might help but, to be honest, I'd be loathe to see him go and really hope we can get him to sign a new contract soon. The FA Cup run has been a help but in these markets £250-300k is chicken-feed. Anyone know why he's been targeting Leon Clarke? He was good on loan last year but he's def expensive and I would have thought our priorities lie in mid-field and defense at the mo.

Now 2 away matches before Huddersfield arrive to taunt us.......can we keep up the away momentum? Its worth a tenner on Laticsbet any day - Everton won me £230!!

Edited by Ackey
Removed Caps.

Why does it always seem to be Latics scraping the barrel during the selling period ? Are we just not fancied by the talent we're after? I know there are cash constraints but presumably Shez has more sense than to pitch for a player that carries an exorbitant transfer fee and I know he wouldn't want to import inflated salaries (a la Kilkenny) and thus limit his options with other players. Now a £500k income boost from the sale of Trotman might help but, to be honest, I'd be loathe to see him go and really hope we can get him to sign a new contract soon. The FA Cup run has been a help but in these markets £250-300k is chicken-feed. Anyone know why he's been targeting Leon Clarke? He was good on loan last year but he's def expensive and I would have thought our priorities lie in mid-field and defense at the mo.

It is difficult for any League 1 club to attract decent, proven players, unless you have bottomless funds like Leeds, Forest or Doncaster. Clubs that try to run their finance on a prudent business basis will always struggle, as others can offer better wages and incentives, and a realistic chance of playing at higher level. Despite our Cup heroics, lying 13th in League One doesn't exactly set the pulse racing - if only we could unearth non-league gems like Fitz Hall and Wayne Andrews! Hope there will be more activities as the transfer window begins to shut, as players and agents get more desperate to be fixed up somewhere permanently or on loan. Also it has been said by many lower league managers that there are plenty of players in higher leagues quite content to pick up good wages playing in the stiffs, rather than drop down a division and earn their keep in first team actions. :(

Nobody :mad:

come on shez get your finger out!! ' i wont sign a striker for the sake of it' well you'd better do cos we bloody well need one!

i see kirk has joined yeovil for free!! YEOVIL FFS!! does shez know that he is allowed to buy players from our league and below??? stop wasting time on money grabbing lumps like clarke and get other people in, you'd better get cracking shez!!

looks like januray is repeating itself again, when will we ever learn?!

rant over aarrgghhh!!!

come on shez get your finger out!! ' i wont sign a striker for the sake of it' well you'd better do cos we bloody well need one!

i see kirk has joined yeovil for free!! YEOVIL FFS!! does shez know that he is allowed to buy players from our league and below??? stop wasting time on money grabbing lumps like clarke and get other people in, you'd better get cracking shez!!

rant over aarrgghhh!!!

There is still time yet, as someone else has already mentioned majority of transfers will go through on the last couple of days/hours. The players worth having will draw it out till the last minute.

There is still time yet, as someone else has already mentioned majority of transfers will go through on the last couple of days/hours. The players worth having will draw it out till the last minute.

True but if those we are tracking choose against us at last minute it doesnt really leave us with much scope to bring someone else in... Its ok saying things won't happen until then but thats IF they choose to come to us.

rant over aarrgghhh!!!

Get back to your homework and let the grown ups get on with their jobs. :wink:

I know it's frustrating, but I'd rather hear nothing until a deal is signed and sealed (we've lost too many when the media have got hold of it too soon), and I'd actually prefer that we sign nobody than sign players who aren't going to improve the squad.

You can guarantee that the same people who are crying out for us to sign someone would soon be on a new player's back if they decide after two games that he's not good enough.

Still think we should take a punt on Glenn Murray, I know Brighton were interested in him. He's a good striker with great technique, good dribbling, agile and scores goals. His goal yesterday was pretty decent, skinned a defender then rounded the keeper. He'll eventually go to one of our rivals like Doncaster of Huddersfield or someone if we don't snap him up.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Still think we should take a punt on Glenn Murray, I know Brighton were interested in him. He's a good striker with great technique, good dribbling, agile and scores goals. His goal yesterday was pretty decent, skinned a defender then rounded the keeper. He'll eventually go to one of our rivals like Doncaster of Huddersfield or someone if we don't snap him up.

If we are going down the route of local talent from the league below, then Anthony Elding at Stockport and Andy Bishop at Bury are both better players than Glen Murray, I am sure 150k would test there resolve to hold onto there players.

If we are going down the route of local talent from the league below, then Anthony Elding at Stockport and Andy Bishop at Bury are both better players than Glen Murray, I am sure 150k would test there resolve to hold onto there players.

I agree, Andy Bishop would be a good signing but wasnt there championship clubs interested in him

rant over aarrgghhh!!!

Be quiet you clown .. what a load of crap!

Would much rather us hold onto the money than throw it away.

I just think sheridan was silly to say we'd "Definately" have people in by the Yeovil game.

Can hardly fill the players with confidence can it? Also gives fans expectancy.

Hope he learns, and I'm sure he will.

Dont know how long they are out for but Lids, Greegs and Tayls will be like having 3 new signings. Would still like cover for LB though - Giddings werent that bad (apart from THAT rush of blood). Need a target man - shame all our strikers are all small - mebbe Ricketts wont be sold after all and we have a target man - not everyone's cup of tea I know but if the worst comes to the worst...

How about a punt on Stuart Fleetwood, young striker 21 playing for Forest Green, who has scored 30 goals in 32 games. Crewe, Gillingham and Cheltenham are believed to be chasing him but he could he be worth a gamble?

Maybe we should stop chasing reserve players from the Championship who still think they are worth £7k to £10k a week. Remember where Fitz Hall and Wayne Andrews came from?

:)

How about a punt on Stuart Fleetwood, young striker 21 playing for Forest Green, who has scored 30 goals in 32 games. Crewe, Gillingham and Cheltenham are believed to be chasing him but he could he be worth a gamble?

Maybe we should stop chasing reserve players from the Championship who still think they are worth £7k to £10k a week. Remember where Fitz Hall and Wayne Andrews came from?

:)

That's a very good point, actually. Charlton have also got the scouts out, I read the other day.

The thing is, Forest Green are gonna want to get a fair bit for him, so it won't be a £50k and in he comes. They'll want the top end of what we've got to spend, and if he flops? Clarke, at least, has shown us he gets roughly 1 every 2 games.

January's not a time to do anything drastic. We just need a couple of players in the positions we've been poor this season; which is a creative man in midfield, and a striker. This LB nonsense is beginning to annoy me. We really don't need one. If we do get one, though, it surely has to be a short loan, just in case Lomax gets a knock.

Its a joke.If no players come in as im beginning to fear then that spells disaster.Whats the problem?Forward thinking club building a new stadium,just had a nice windfall from the cup with the very real prospect of further progress and more cash.

I think somebody needs to remind the owners that this club is going nowhere unless we get out of this horrid division,if theres no investment in the team this time they can go and whistle for the extortionate prices they charge-i'll watch sky sports soccer saturday like 90% of the rest of oldhamers.

rant over.

sorry mods it says topics merged so i reposted it here.