Ambition (we may have some after all)

R.O.A.M

OWTB - The Sponsor's Decision  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Should Latics sell Chris Taylor to the Lashers for £250k Plus Scott Vernon?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. As Vernon is available, would you like to see him back playing for Latics?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Including Vernon, what price should we sell at?

• £300k
    • £400k
    • £500k
    • £600k
    • £700k
    • £800k
    • £900k
    • £1m+

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know absence is meant to make the heart grow fonder, but wanting to sign Vernon again is taking it too far (at least we waited 7 years before signing Allott back)! There must be other strikers available that have a better track record in this divison and wouldn't invovle giving up one of our better players.

Is the team stronger with Taylor or Vernon. I'd say Taylor everytime.

can i ask , why people want vernon back?

he was not great the last time he was here.

he was not a regular at blackpool last season thay had better strikers that got them up.

he has barley played this season

he is not good enough for blackpool

do people think it is ambition to sign a player back who is not good enough for a team who where one of our main rivals?

he is a big man yes but what else?

it is working with allott but do you think every player that comes back will be better?

im sorry but i cant understand the it, we are now a forward looking club, with a forward looking board!

why are so many of you fans looking back to an unsuccessful period for players?

i dont get it, can someone please expalin it to me.

i appreciate what he did when he was here, the goal against city, he will always be remembered for that, but he will be remembered for being mediocre at best

sorry to rant! :)

As we have seen recently with the likes of Ricketts and others, it is vitally important for a new signing to fit into the Team and dressing room. Vernon was always a committed Latics player, worked and trained hard and from what I gather, was a really likeable, popular guy. In other words, one of the big worries is not a concern.

His scoring record was good particularly as we were really struggling for goals at the time. He is a good target man who is also a clinical finisher. He was also very young and inexperienced when he was with us last. 3 years later he is more accomplished and getting towards the finished article. He's also disciplined and not unecessarily greedy.

We are looking for a good combination up front - not simply an out and out goal scoring machine - and I think that (reading from left to right on the pitch) Davies; Vernon and Hughes would be a fantastic attacking threat.

Guest oa_exile

Vernon and Porter are very similar type of players , that was the thing when Rockin Ronnie signed Porter for £150K ,my thoughts at the time "But we have Vernon".

Also Vernon was "sacrificed" as part of the deal in bringing Wellens to BP.

Guest oa_exile
However, we could do worse than having Vernon competing with Hughes and Davies.

I dont think that Vernon would be competing as Davies would go out on the wing

Because we need a striker who can hold the ball up. Desperately.

A goal every two games. Try and find a better ratio for next to nothing in this division.

You could argue that without Vendog's input off the bench they'd have been just short of reaching the play offs. He's been coming off the bench this season, in a division above and chipping in with a goal or two.

But they are in a division above. And they didn't get rid of him in the summer.

He's older and wiser than the raw version we had when he was scoring that 1:2 ratio I talked about earlier. he's not particularly injury prone and he will add an aerial threat on set pieces which we've been sickeningly short of all season.

No. But it's a myth to say ex players never do well. Aside from players we got back 10+ years after we sold them we've not done so bad.

It'd be like showing a dog a card trick I fear.

maybe they didnt get rid in the summr because no body wanted him, he was not first choice for them last season but he is now good enough for us because the team where he cannot hold down a first team place over a period of 2 years are in the division above. we need a big man, i agree but im sorry if he cant make blackpools first team or ours when he was here last time and colchester didnt want him when they were in our division he is simply not good enough.

its a nice thought that he has improved so much over 2 years without playing regular that he will be great for us but just because you know who he is and have seen him play a few times does not make him good enough for a team with ambition to move up a division.

my point is if we want out of this division we need to be looking at a better calibre of player like hughes, like davies and not people who maybe be good just because thay are a big man who might be able to hold the ball once in a while.

to many fans looking backwards, he is not good enough to help move this club forward.

good bit of business again , get rid for free and buy back 2 years later, brilliant

I dont rate Taylor that highly. Vernon is nowhere near worth £250k. Taylor is worth no where near £500k.

Vernon isnt even warming the bench much at Blackpool, I imagine cash plus the wage off their wage bill will suit them.

I would say £250k is about right for Taylor, hence why its a good deal.

Do you have the Hughes shirt in orange? :grin:

If Tatlor were allowed to play on the right, he would be a much bigger threat, and a better player, and possibly worth a lot of money. Therefore £250k + Vernon is nowhere near enough. What we need is a left winger.

maybe they didnt get rid in the summr because no body wanted him, he was not first choice for them last season but he is now good enough for us because the team where he cannot hold down a first team place over a period of 2 years are in the division above. we need a big man, i agree but im sorry if he cant make blackpools first team or ours when he was here last time and colchester didnt want him when they were in our division he is simply not good enough.

its a nice thought that he has improved so much over 2 years without playing regular that he will be great for us but just because you know who he is and have seen him play a few times does not make him good enough for a team with ambition to move up a division.

my point is if we want out of this division we need to be looking at a better calibre of player like hughes, like davies and not people who maybe be good just because thay are a big man who might be able to hold the ball once in a while.

to many fans looking backwards, he is not good enough to help move this club forward.

good bit of business again , get rid for free and buy back 2 years later, brilliant

Ludicrous.

Verndog arrived at Blackpool and was their first choice for a while before hitting a bad run of form (as all strikers do). His second season he was mainly used from the bench, after all Morell and Parker were in red hot form once they forged a relationship so were hardly going to be dropped once they hit blistering form.

This season he's scored 4 goals in about 10 appearances, mostly from the bench. If you think Vernon "Isn't good enough" for us because he "isn't good enough" for the lashers, well, you need a long look in the mirror my friend.

I wouldn't mind, but it's not even as if he did cock all when he was with us. He scored goals in a very poor team, when he was a lot younger which stands to reason he'd be up to the task now.

But the orginal debate is whether to give them Taylor in return, which would be an unwise move unless it was money too good to turn down.

Thought Wellens came on a 'Bosman' free?? With Vernon going the other way just coincidence.

yeah , they both left their clubs for nothing, wellens left us for nothing, and now people are discussing bringing back a player who came through our ranks that we let go and now we should spend some of the money that we need to spend wisely on a player not deemed good enough for us last time out.

and now we should spend some of the money that we need to spend wisely on a player not deemed good enough for us last time out.

By a different management regime. It was actually a swap for Wellens (happened at the same time).

Shez has publically stated in the past that he's always rated him.

So instead of bleating about taking steps backwards, grasp the nettle. Any idea who we should be aiming for to solve our up front problems?

Palmer1 has 1 good point at least. He wasnt considered to be number 1 striker at blackpool in their promtion season and yet we think he is good enough to be the spearhead for us. Why?

It's like herding cats this.

I assume because Morrell and Parker were undroppable once they hit form. Would you have dropped one of them?

Cannot believe the amont of people that think Chrissy T 'is not that good'. This is purely because he is played on the wrong side every week so he cuts inside all the time. He has even had to play left back and by all accounts did a good job! When he got a chance on his natural side he was frikkin dynamite. When given the chance he can beat players at ease, gets stuck and is a decent crosser of the ball. Just needs to add shooting somewhere near the goal and he is complete. Really hope selling him is not an option at all!

By a different management regime. It was actually a swap for Wellens (happened at the same time).

Shez has publically stated in the past that he's always rated him.

So instead of bleating about taking steps backwards, grasp the nettle. Any idea who we should be aiming for to solve our up front problems?

ive posted a few already, elding at stockport for one, he has been getting good reviews although he has had his problems i know.

i would love to see clarke but that seems to have gone by the wayside.

i am not saying i am an expert on all the srikers around the league but i just dont see vernon doing it for us. (obviously)

anyway its been a fun hour arguing , back to work , ill be back to disagree some more later :wink:

Edited by palmer1

ive posted a few already, elding at stockport for one, he has been getting good reviews although he has had his problems i know.

i am not saying i am an expert on all the srikers around the league but i just dont see vernon doing it for us. (obviously)

anyway its been a fun hour arguing , back to work , ill be back to disagree some more later :wink:

clarke set up wednesday winkers 2nd goal on satdi didnt he!

The Verndog plus wonga for Taylor?

I would take that offer everyday of the week. In my humble opinion Taylor is the most over-rated player I can remember at BP for many a year, I really don't see why everyone raves about him. Scott on the other hand was a striker showing plenty of promise who had to be used as the lever to get Wellens to BP, and I for one was disappointed to see him leave.

Taxi for Taylor!!!!!

KtF,

Derek.

Furrymuff. I like the look of Elding but bigger risk factor, and unproven at this level or higher. When we got Porter it took 12-18 months before his quality came through so one for the future perhaps?

I'd prefer Clarke myself, I think he is exactly what we're looking for right now and a better player than Verndog. But people seem to be considering Verndog as simply not good enough which ain't exactly true. Circumstances have changed since he was last here.

But yeah, work sounds like a better idea!