Football hooliganism

When I first started watching Latic's in the early eighties I remember many an occasion where I would walk down sheepfoot lane 20 minutes before the game only to be met with groups of lads/men fighting and police desperately trying to restore calm.

That all seemed to end as our glory years came to the fore and in my eyes we have been one of the better behaved sets of fans over the last 15 years (with the obvious exception of local derby games v Man Utd/Bolton and City).

In the last year or so there seems to be an unfortunate comeback from the Oldham hoolies. Trouble v Blackpool, trouble v Udders and other bits and bobs.

Yesterday was like a flashback to the bad old days of the mid eighties. Grown men fighting/arguing in the middle of the road. A poor, presumably innocent Huddersfield fan lied in a pool of blood. I found it all a bit sad and uncomfortable considering I had re-assured my wife there would be no aggro after the game.

I genuinely think the police need to have a good old re-think about potential hotspots and how they control that part of things for the higher profile matches attracting say 9,000+ crowds. Yesterday was pathetic - two large groups of men/lads walking into each other and mingling straight after the game when emotions are running high without a policeman in sight is unacceptable.

Sure, if these guys want to rip each others heads off away from the ground, away from the families and the kids, away from anybody else and away from where they can damage any property let them. But the police need to get a serious grip on things a bit closer to the ground. Its happened twice now in less than 12 months and innocent people who just want to watch their football teams are in danger in getting embroiled in situations they shouldn't have to.

I suspect after yesterday there is going to be some serious needle at all Oldham/Huddersfield matches in future (more so than there was prior to yesterday).

KOTK

Edited by Kingofdikebab

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started watching Latic's in the early eighties I remember many an occasion where I would watch down sheepfoot lane 20 minutes before the game only to be met with groups of lads/men fighting and police desperately trying to restore calm.

That all seemed to end as our glory years came to the fore and in my eyes we have been one of the better behaved sets of fans over the last 15 years (with the obvious exception of local derby games v Man Utd/Bolton and City).

In the last year or so there seems to be an unfortunate comeback from the Oldham hoolies. Trouble v Blackpool, trouble v Udders and other bits and bobs.

Yesterday was like a flashback to the bad old days of the mid eighties. Grown men fighting/arguing in the middle of the road. A poor, presumably innocent Huddersfield fan lied in a pool of blood. I found it all a bit sad and uncomfortable considering I had re-assured my wife there would be no aggro after the game.

I genuinely think the police need to have a good old re-think about potential hotspots and how they control that part of things for the higher profile matches attracting say 9,000+ crowds. Yesterday was pathetic - two large groups of men/lads walking into each other and mingling straight after the game when emotions are running high without a policeman in sight is unacceptable.

Sure, if these guys want to rip each others heads off away from the ground, away from the families and the kids, away from anybody else and away from where they can damage any property let them. But the police need to get a serious grip on things a bit closer to the ground. Its happened twice now in less than 12 months and innocent people who just want to watch their football teams are in danger in getting embroiled in situations they shouldn't have to.

I suspect after yesterday there is going to be some serious needle at all Oldham/Huddersfield matches in future (more so than there was prior to yesterday).

KOTK

can i just say it was the huddersfield fans who started it yesterday so dont go callin oldham fans for what happened. the police were shockin aswell in my opinion just bullyin random people.

I know different Police Officers who a based all around the GMP area, most will tell you that they don't want the hassle of getting involved. They will tell you that they try and turn up after the event.

To me it is a sad state of affairs when you cant look to the Police to deal with these trouble makers. I was going to take my 6 Year Daughter yesterday, but last minute change of plans meant that I didn't. I wouldn't want her seeing these morons beating the stuffing out of each other.

I know that the Club and the FIO's based at Oldham know who these morons are and both should be more proactive in dealing with them.

The Hooligan element of football does seem to be rearing it's ugly head over the last few years. It has now moved away from the Stadiums and surrounding areas into the City/Town Ctrs which means more innocent people are getting involved.

Huddersfield games have always been a little tasty either over there or over here.

Edited by AMO

can i just say it was the huddersfield fans who started it yesterday so dont go callin oldham fans for what happened. the police were shockin aswell in my opinion just bullyin random people.

It sounds like when you were caught fighting at school "it wasn't me sir, he started it".

Edited by AMO

Hang on clown. Rewind. Did I, at any stage have a pop at Oldham fans. Explain.

Also explain who Hudders started it. As far as I could see both sets of fans were more than happy to trade. Oh, apart from the poor Udders bloke who got a smack for no reason as far as I could see.

KOTK

To be honest been pretty impressed with the behaviour of latics fans. Last bit of real trouble i saw was at mansfield away a couple of years ago. 20 years ago i took an asian friend to a game and he got badly beaten up in the toilets at half time, that would never happen now. Very pleasing to see several people of ethnic minorities and families at the games. I take my youngest nephew to games and he really enjoys it (aged 4). Only problem is some peoples language, but it is a game of football after all. It would have made sense yesterday to have kept the hudds fans back 15 minutes after the game.

Edited by BARNS

To be honest been pretty impressed with the behaviour of latics fans. Last bit of real trouble i saw was at mansfield away a couple of years ago. 20 years ago i took an asian friend to a game and he got badly beaten up in the toilets at half time, that would never happen now. Very pleasing to see several people of ethnic minorities and families at the games. I take my nephew to games and he really enjoys it (aged 4). Only problem is some peoples language, but it is a game of football after all. It would have made sense yesterday to have kept the hudds fans back 15 minutes after the game.

I have never known the away fans to be kept in at BP.

TBH it has only happen once to me personally and that was at Hull a few years ago (FA Cup).

Also explain who Hudders started it. As far as I could see both sets of fans were more than happy to trade. Oh, apart from the poor Udders bloke who got a smack for no reason as far as I could see.

KOTK

why have they stopped keeping the away fans in after the final whistle for 10-15mins,thats the only way you can really stop any trouble starting after the game has finished outside the stadium.

KOTK

well i was walkin to my car on rochdale rd near the bus stop across the road from the hospital and about 5 huddersfield fans ran over and smacked a guy infront of me then went for others sayin "c'mon oldham" so thats what makes me think huddersfield fans started it. all the cops did was go to the lads on the floor and carry on where the huddersfield fans left of and hit them again. pathetic!

KOTK

well i was walkin to my car on rochdale rd near the bus stop across the road from the hospital and about 5 huddersfield fans ran over and smacked a guy infront of me then went for others sayin "c'mon oldham" so thats what makes me think huddersfield fans started it. all the cops did was go to the lads on the floor and carry on where the huddersfield fans left of and hit them again. pathetic!

nesbitt, I can appreciate that this may be what you saw, but you can't claim to have all of the facts. The likelihood is that were 'supporters' of each club who were guilty of causing trouble.

nesbitt, I can appreciate that this may be what you saw, but you can't claim to have all of the facts. The likelihood is that were 'supporters' of each club who were guilty of causing trouble.

I don't claim to know all the facts but for starters:-

1) Udders fan battered on sheep-foot lane - FACT

2) Both Oldham and Udders fans sought a confrontation on Sheepfoot lane and there were skirmishes - FACT

Other rumours re Rochdale road, Litten tree, objects being thrown on the ground - I saw nothing of this but what I did see was some pretty irate groups of Oldham lads wanting some action against there Huddersfield counterparts who were more than willing to oblige.

Both parties guilty but we sure as hell were not whiter than white in my view.

The policing wasn't just poor, something which is poor exists and the policing was literally non-existent.

KOTK

why do you presume he was innocent?

40+ guy wearing colours doesn't smack (no pun intended) to me of someone who is going to try and run the FYC up Sheepfoot lane.

Therefore I 'presume' he was an innocent party. I could, however, be miles off the mark. That's why I used the word 'presumably'.

KOTK

40+ guy wearing colours doesn't smack (no pun intended) to me of someone who is going to try and run the FYC up Sheepfoot lane.

Therefore I 'presume' he was an innocent party. I could, however, be miles off the mark. That's why I used the word 'presumably'.

KOTK

would you presume someone dressed in a Spiderman outfit wouldn't get involved aswell?

I have this theory that when you get to your late thirties or so you end up in an adjacent but completely different universe. Which is probably why I didn't see any trouble. I'd heard there was a bit of 'fun' in the town centre beforehand, and I did see the blues and twos lighting up headed towards Sheepfoot Lane as I was leaving the carpark, but nowt apart from that.

Let's not let a few isolated bits of nonsense appear to be a wholescale return to hooliganism.

I have this theory that when you get to your late thirties or so you end up in an adjacent but completely different universe. Which is probably why I didn't see any trouble. I'd heard there was a bit of 'fun' in the town centre beforehand, and I did see the blues and twos lighting up headed towards Sheepfoot Lane as I was leaving the carpark, but nowt apart from that.

Let's not let a few isolated bits of nonsense appear to be a wholescale return to hooliganism.

Indeed....some of the tales some of my older Latics mates tell me make stuff like this sound like fairytales. I don't particularly want either to exist in football coz it'll detract from punters putting money in my club, but from yesterday to tonight, it's made out like wholescale war took place on Sheepfoot Lane. The only point to be taken out of it is that it was badly policed and on we go...

Hooliganism has never gone away ... its still there just not at the ground as much .. but theres a long way to go before things come full circle and become like they used to be. I also think alot of people are making it out to be something its not ... exaggerated ... anyone would have thought Millwall and West Ham have just met and thered been 400 a side :lol:

KOTK

Actually pal the Hudders lad deserved from what I heard the Hudders lad heard a Latics lad say I hate them sheep shaggers and the Hudders lad said something to him on the lines of "you what Ill drill you" so therefore the Latics lad gave him his own "drilling".

Sadly, most football clubs have their hoolie element but isn't this thread about the absence of police around the ground after the game? The only police I saw after the game were dog handlers in the car park between the Rochdale Road Stand and the Paddock Stand (?). Other than that nothing! It was clear during the game that each set of hoolies were reving up for a pst-match rook The truth is if these :censored: want to kick off there's not a lot the OB can do about it, especially with large numbers wanting it!

AceT :wink:

Actually pal the Hudders lad deserved from what I heard the Hudders lad heard a Latics lad say I hate them sheep shaggers and the Hudders lad said something to him on the lines of "you what Ill drill you" so therefore the Latics lad gave him his own "drilling".

from what I heard the Hudders lad heard

said something to him on the lines of

All decent testimony then.

Latics fans called them, Hudds fans called back - handbags. Six of one and half a dozen of the other, quite probably literally. It's a shame that somebody has to get hurt in this way, if one realises how easy it is to lose a life in this fashion - maybe they'd think again. I hope everybody was okay, that's all I can say.

Can we stop giving this airtime now?

Cheers.