Good point

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excellent point today,and results went for us as well,so hopefully we havent fallen too far away from it all.just makes saturdays result even more frustrating.

I have a new slogon for you probably the must fustrating team in the world good point today. Only 4 points off the play-offs.

im happy with todays result

well done lads

Good result, shame Saturday was such a disappointment. On another note, not surprised one bit to see another team in which Wellens is the talisman go off the boil at the business end of the season. Great player but lacking the balls to stand up and be counted when it really matters or is it just an unfortunate coincidence?

Edited by oafcprozac

Donny are quite far adrift of automatic promotion now, they could be 8 points off it if Carlisle win their game in hand.

Yep despite all that money spent are destined to end up in the play offs, Forest are miles off auto too. Would love it if an unfancied team like Walsall or Brighton went up leaving billy big balls Donny, Forest and Leeds in the third tier with their massive wage bills and shrinking crowds.

Yep despite all that money spent are destined to end up in the play offs, Forest are miles off auto too. Would love it if an unfancied team like Walsall or Brighton went up leaving billy big balls Donny, Forest and Leeds in the third tier with their massive wage bills and shrinking crowds.

alot of big teams have dropped down to our level over the years, but they usually succeed in the second year, if not the first. you would have thought forest would have learnt their lesson by now.

there could well be:

doncaster

leicester

sheff wed

leeds

forest

mk dons

in our league next year. thats a hell of a wage budget between them, but why did the league seem harder when the likes of bury and macc were in it?

alot of big teams have dropped down to our level over the years, but they usually succeed in the second year, if not the first. you would have thought forest would have learnt their lesson by now.

there could well be:

doncaster

leicester

sheff wed

leeds

forest

mk dons

in our league next year. thats a hell of a wage budget between them, but why did the league seem harder when the likes of bury and macc were in it?

Take MK Dons and Doncaster off that list they both have no history Forest are not big anymore.

Good result, shame Saturday was such a disappointment. On another note, not surprised one bit to see another team in which Wellens is the talisman go off the boil at the business end of the season. Great player but lacking the balls to stand up and be counted when it really matters or is it just an unfortunate coincidence?

Allott had him in his back pocket for the entire game,

Take MK Dons and Doncaster off that list they both have no history Forest are not big anymore.

i dont care about a teams history. im thinking purely about their wage budget, and the fact they will all think they have what it takes to win this league next year. also the fact they should all bring quite decent crowds to bp next year. (bar mk and donny

Better if they could all be promoted-then nobody would be able to use these massive clubs as an excuse for why poor little Oldham can't compete.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Sorry-I forgot that only the happy clappers are allowed to be repetitive.

It's simple: if you don't like it, put forward a counter argument; failing that, just move on. There's a good chap.

Ok, so we compete with the spending power of Leeds, Forest and Donny and Swansea how exactly?

I hear you bleating on and on and on sarcastically about "how we should be able to compete with these little clubs", yet I see no counter argument. So what do we do, Arsene? Throw money around like it's going out of fashion? Been there, done that. Didn't work. Change the manager? Again? Been there, done that. doesn't work.

So how do we do it?

Go on, try a bit of optimism. You might like it....................

EDIT: Incidentally, good point today. I've just realised that I've assisted in another of of your tedious thread hijackings.

Edited by danoafc

Ok, so we compete with the spending power of Leeds, Forest and Donny and Swansea how exactly?

I hear you bleating on and on and on sarcastically about "how we should be able to compete with these little clubs", yet I see no counter argument. So what do we do, Arsene? Throw money around like it's going out of fashion? Been there, done that. Didn't work. Change the manager? Again? Been there, done that. doesn't work.

So how do we do it?

Go on, try a bit of optimism. You might like it....................

It's already been done many times over, on here and on other boards. I think the only real conclusion it's possible to come to is to recognise that the club seems to be caught in a trap not entirely of its own making, hampered by an apparent dearth of ideas regarding what to do about it. On paper the legendary plan based on the new stadium is sound, but it's entirely obvious that the longer we flounder in this division the more likely it is that it will be a plan geared towards our survival at this level (and that is assuming that the stadium actually does get built.) Meanwhile, it is a bit galling that we are now required to regard the likes of Doncaster (a non-league club not long ago) and Swansea (recently in the basement division) as footballing giants with whom it is impossible for lickle Oldham to compete.

Optimism is hollow unless there is something to base it on. Optimism for the sake of it just leads to the endless repetition of the same bland statements, such as constantly claiming that success depends on not changing a manager too often-a view which fails to take into account that this only applies if the manager displays some ability and potential (and I say this as a Shez-inner), as well as the wider situation within a club.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

EDIT: Incidentally, good point today. I've just realised that I've assisted in another of of your tedious thread hijackings.

Another one who doesn't seem able to fully comprehend what he reads. I think you'll find that others had broadened the topic out before I even posted.

And while a draw at mighty Doncaster can, for some, be compared to getting a result at the San Siro, the result is fairly irrelevant given that our season was over some time ago.

It's already been done many times over, on here and on other boards. I think the only real conclusion it's possible to come to is to recognise that the club seems to be caught in a trap not entirely of its own making, hampered by an apparent dearth of ideas regarding what to do about it. On paper the legendary plan based on the new stadium is sound, but it's entirely obvious that the longer we flounder in this division the more likely it is that it will be a plan geared towards our survival at this level (and that is assuming that the stadium actually does get built.) Meanwhile, it is a bit galling that we are now required to regard the likes of Doncaster (a non-league club not long ago) and Swansea (recently in the basement division) as footballing giants with whom it is impossible for lickle Oldham to compete.

Optimism is hollow unless there is something to base it on. Optimism for the sake of it just leads to the endless repetition of the same bland statements, such as constantly claiming that success depends on not changing a manager too often-a view which fails to take into account that this only applies if the manager displays some ability and potential (and I say this as a Shez-inner), as well as the wider situation within a club.

Your point about the relatively recent "success" of swansea and donny is undermined on 2 levels.

1. They have cash to spend with less risk than we have. Swansea get gate receipts that fund their spending - they didn;t gamble the money first though. Donny have a benevolent owner who is prepared to splash money around. Comparing us to either in terms of spending power is fruitless.

2. Any "lower" club that does well would be in a similar situation. When we made it into the top flight, was there any point in brum fans bemoaning our success in that way? Or more pertinently Burnley fans? We had made money from cup runs and invested wisely in better players and reaped the rewards.

Further, your points about optomism are mis-placed. The happy clappers are not all optomists, just realists. Does everyone of them expect us to get promoted? No. But that's why they are happy clappers, beacuse they accept the realism of the situation we are in. They do not expect a win every single week and then moan if we don't win. They might however look at the broader level of progress we have seen under moore and shez - apart from 2 seasons of mad spending, we were a club in descent - gradually slipping lower and lower, but the last 3 years have seen 10th, 6th and possibly 11/12th?

Your point about the relatively recent "success" of swansea and donny is undermined on 2 levels.

1. They have cash to spend with less risk than we have. Swansea get gate receipts that fund their spending - they didn;t gamble the money first though. Donny have a benevolent owner who is prepared to splash money around. Comparing us to either in terms of spending power is fruitless.

2. Any "lower" club that does well would be in a similar situation. When we made it into the top flight, was there any point in brum fans bemoaning our success in that way? Or more pertinently Burnley fans? We had made money from cup runs and invested wisely in better players and reaped the rewards.

Further, your points about optomism are mis-placed. The happy clappers are not all optomists, just realists. Does everyone of them expect us to get promoted? No. But that's why they are happy clappers, beacuse they accept the realism of the situation we are in. They do not expect a win every single week and then moan if we don't win. They might however look at the broader level of progress we have seen under moore and shez - apart from 2 seasons of mad spending, we were a club in descent - gradually slipping lower and lower, but the last 3 years have seen 10th, 6th and possibly 11/12th?

You can't undermine what hasn't been said. I didn't say that we had comparable spending power but, simply, that it is galling to see us left standing by clubs historically smaller or no bigger than we are, whatever the reason, particularly when this club failed to build for the future on the basis of success that it will never see again.

The days of the likes of myself expecting us to win every game are long, long gone, meanwhile.

I fail to see how from 6th to 12th in the table can be construed as progress particularly when the aim was said to be promotion.

As for realism, what this really means in our context is unquestioning acceptance of eternal mediocrity or worse. Fine for those who get off on that kind of thing, I guess.