Gretna latest

Culled this morning from a Scottish sports agency’s files:

GRETNA goalkeeper Greg Fleming is being chased by Oldham. The Scotland Under-21 shotstopper is wanted by Motherwell and Morton this summer. But the English League One play-off hopefuls are set to swoop. Fleming will be offered a three-year deal and is expected to try his luck in England.

No idea how accurate this is.

every time you read an article about the gretna situation or a gretna player it always mentions 'oldham athletic from england' lol i reckon the editor is a blue.

To be honest - I dont think this is that surprising, given our obvious connections with the club. (Obviously we all know Wadsworth was at the club the other day - sure it was more than a friendly hello) I actually think this is a good thing, and would be quite happy if true... their best players would be easily good enough for us... and if we are using our 'connections' to get a jump on the other vultures, then so be it... a few good, cheap squad players wont go amiss...

To be honest - I dont think this is that surprising, given our obvious connections with the club. (Obviously we all know Wadsworth was at the club the other day - sure it was more than a friendly hello) I actually think this is a good thing, and would be quite happy if true... their best players would be easily good enough for us... and if we are using our 'connections' to get a jump on the other vultures, then so be it... a few good, cheap squad players wont go amiss...

Parking the allegations during his previous spell here to one side, would anyone have an issue with Wadsworth returning in an advisory position? Makes sense with his connections in the game and could be the seasoned head that Sheridan needs.

I wouldn't mind the best of Gretna's crop joining us. Beneficial for both parties - they need employment and we need some quality. Scottish Prem is akin to middle to top Championship so progress on the field regarding strengthening.

Deuchar would have been worth a gamble prior to his going to the States despite his ineffective loan at Northampton. The keeper and one or two of the defenders and midfielders could come to us to maintain fitness and we see how they fit in etc?

... their best players would be easily good enough for us...

On what grounds?

Parking the allegations during his previous spell here to one side, would anyone have an issue with Wadsworth returning in an advisory position? Makes sense with his connections in the game and could be the seasoned head that Sheridan needs.

I wouldn't mind the best of Gretna's crop joining us. Beneficial for both parties - they need employment and we need some quality. Scottish Prem is akin to middle to top Championship so progress on the field regarding strengthening.

Deuchar would have been worth a gamble prior to his going to the States despite his ineffective loan at Northampton. The keeper and one or two of the defenders and midfielders could come to us to maintain fitness and we see how they fit in etc?

You kind of contradict yourself there...."Scottish Prem is akin to middle to top Championship" and "Deuchar would have been worth a gamble ..... despite his ineffective loan at Northampton"

Where does this comparison between leagues come from? How have Porter, Haining, McDonald done?

I think it is much more about the player than the league. If this keeper is a good communicator, comands his box, knows when and how to stay on his feet in one on ones and has lightening fast reactions - yes he will be a good signing. Not just because he has played for a Scottish team in one of the worst football leagues in Europe.

To be honest.. would have no problems at all - he has a great lower division, and international network... as a chief scout/advisor he would be superb... but I highly doubt we have the finances to do this... however as he seems to have comited to finding his players new jobs, lets use it as much as we can....

... and all parties in previous allegations have moved on to bigger and better things - sure they have all put that erm... behind them.. *cough* ... :wink:

Edited by BigfinLatic

Would he want to come back after the "Packet of sweets" song was sung at him at most games before the end of his reign?

St Mirren v Gretna

St Mirren's will be without suspended duo David Barron and Franco Miranda as they look for the win that would ensure relegation for Gretna.

Gary Mason and David Van Zanten picked up injuries in training and also miss out for the home side.

Gretna will continue with a skeleton squad, including several youngsters, after laying-off 22 players.

Caretaker manager Mick Wadsworth may not be at Love Street as he seeks possible new job opportunities.

maybe wadsworth is here for a job as technical director

maybe wadsworth is here for a job as technical director

i posted this early on during the week....

wouldn't bother me too much if he did get a job doing something like that! it was posted on here in the early hrs that shez needs to be given time, and possibly steered in the right direction from time to time..

it's more than obvious that we need a good 'little black book' to go along with it, to ensure we have plenty of contacts within the game...(shez may have loads already, no harm in having twice as many!!)

goalkeeper.......... that is one area we need to start building for the future asap!

pogs has gone now (crying shame but alas true!) and crossley is on his last legs (literally!) and his future is obviously as a coach.... anyone see him at the last home game sat on the front bench pretty much the whole of the game????

so the lad we have on loan now! any good? could he be decent with a decent PERMANENT coach?(look how rhodes improved pogs!) and/or the gretna lad?

we need two in thats for sure! so why not this guy from oooop north?

only time will tell i guess

Bring back Danny and a certain Mr Murray

Yeah, let's get Jobsworth back too because he is really experienced at acheiving nothing.

I wonder what Molongo is up to nowadays. I know retro is in, but let's keep a grip on reality.

Yeah, let's get Jobsworth back too because he is really experienced at acheiving nothing.

I wonder what Molongo is up to nowadays. I know retro is in, but let's keep a grip on reality.

Er OK.

A young centre half who had a great future and a good ball player. With our great (sic) coaches to improve them, why not?

Er OK.

A young centre half who had a great future and a good ball player. With our great (sic) coaches to improve them, why not?

I didn't agree with letting Danny Hall go in the first place, but he was deemed not up to the required standard and has hardly set the world alight since. I was surprised to see that he is still playing to be honest (not because I don't think he was good enough, but because I hadn't heard about him).

Paul Murray is NOT going to be the same player that we had in his previous spell. He went to Carlisle recently and didn't cut it so ended up at Gretna.

We have got to look forward not back.

Scottish Prem is akin to middle to top Championship so progress on the field regarding strengthening.

Sorry, but I disagree, apart from Rangers and Celtic the SPL teams are about as good as League One teams. Hence why players like Dean Holden can be a first choice centre back for a run of the mill SPL team, as can Will Haining. Mikel Antoine Curier a regular striker, Chris Porter one of the top scorers, Paul Murray and Danny Hall first team players, Chris Killen a sub for the Champions.

When Celtic were chasing Scott McDonald; who were the team they had to fight off to sign him? A Premiership team? - No. A Championship team? - No. League One Nottingham Forest. When Neil Lennon quit Celtic where did he go? A Championship team? - No. League One Nottingham Forest.

Sorry, but I disagree, apart from Rangers and Celtic the SPL teams are about as good as League One teams. Hence why players like Dean Holden can be a first choice centre back for a run of the mill SPL team, as can Will Haining. Mikel Antoine Curier a regular striker, Chris Porter one of the top scorers, Paul Murray and Danny Hall first team players, Chris Killen a sub for the Champions.

When Celtic were chasing Scott McDonald; who were the team they had to fight off to sign him? A Premiership team? - No. A Championship team? - No. League One Nottingham Forest. When Neil Lennon quit Celtic where did he go? A Championship team? - No. League One Nottingham Forest.

im all in favour of getting a few decent players on the cheap,would help with our budget,but not a mass signing as such. there will be better players out there available for not much money come the summer.and if doncaster dont go up,i wouldnt rule out shez trying to tempt wellens back,to build a team around him and allott,he still rates wellens very highly and is still a bit peed off at him going.

as for wadsworth....why not,he has contacts and could help out regarding sourcing new players and scouting,but nothing to do with the playing or coaching side.

as for wadsworth....why not,he has contacts and could help out regarding sourcing new players and scouting,but nothing to do with the playing or coaching side.

Too expensive - we'd be better using a phone book or the Internet.

Too expensive - we'd be better using a phone book or the Internet.

are you privy to the clubs finances and wage structure then????scouts dont earn a fortune,and some would say if he got us to some very good signings first and we go up with them,that he wouldnt be being paid enough

are you privy to the clubs finances and wage structure then????scouts dont earn a fortune,and some would say if he got us to some very good signings first and we go up with them,that he wouldnt be being paid enough

I know that the wages for a Manager, a Director of Football and a Scout are different. Just like Managing Director, Sales Manager and Tea Boy are in a business.

I personally would prefer to buy players than a Director of Scouting Managers.....or whatever. He is Manager at the moment and one would expect that he would be seeking a similar pay scale in his next appointment. We might be able to afford a Tea Boy, but I can't see that we would have enough money to recruit a second Sales Manager or MD.