Gretna latest

Wadsworth did a good job and laid the ground for the fantastic Dowie season that followed. I have no ill feeling towards him whatsoever, other than the fact that he took over from a legend as manager. I hope that he could swing a few players our way and despite some dodgy signings (Smart) he made some excellent ones (Colluso, Murray etc).

Sorry, but I disagree, apart from Rangers and Celtic the SPL teams are about as good as League One teams. Hence why players like Dean Holden can be a first choice centre back for a run of the mill SPL team, as can Will Haining. Mikel Antoine Curier a regular striker, Chris Porter one of the top scorers, Paul Murray and Danny Hall first team players, Chris Killen a sub for the Champions.

When Celtic were chasing Scott McDonald; who were the team they had to fight off to sign him? A Premiership team? - No. A Championship team? - No. League One Nottingham Forest. When Neil Lennon quit Celtic where did he go? A Championship team? - No. League One Nottingham Forest.

I would disagree, I would put Rangers at top 4 premier league, and Celtic conference level.

Wadsworth did a good job and laid the ground for the fantastic Dowie season that followed. I have no ill feeling towards him whatsoever, other than the fact that he took over from a legend as manager. I hope that he could swing a few players our way and despite some dodgy signings (Smart) he made some excellent ones (Colluso, Murray etc).

:laught16:

Love it. Colluso.... Excellent.

He signed Murray, granted. But he also brought in Beharall for a cringing ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND QUID!!! And he was at the helm to our most embarrassing home defeat, well, ever against Cardiff. Oh and he brought in Adebola... and Clegg... And Reeves...

You've excelled yourself Slurms. You made me do a little wee with that one! :grin:

Allan Smart

Michael Clegg

David Reeves

David Beharall

Dele Adebola

Andy Goram

Matty Appleby

Paul Murray

Julian Baudet

Christian Colluso

Paul Rachubka

Would it be going too far to say that Mick Wadsworth was to David O'Leary as Chris M**re was to Peter Ridsdale?

All the mental scars left by the 1-7 Cardiff match would still be too fresh in the mind if Wadsworth did come back, in any capacity.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I never thought Beharall was that bad. Not great, sure, but we've had many worse defenders in recent memory.

i always remember that goal he scored at BP......took it in his own half, and it sort of stuck to his boot all the way into the chaddy net!!

reminds me of that character on harry enfield yrs ago......'charles charlie charles'

Dont see a problem with Wadsworth coming back in some kind of scouting capacitywhich enables us to make use of his connections,wouldnt be too keen on him interfering with SHezz's role though.I hope Shezz has the final say on this if in fact it is an option.

Maybe Wadsworth is just trying to fix his players up and there looks like a couple we could take.The South American midfielder looks interesting,think I would pass on Murray

now,

As for Danny Hall was really suprised when he was allowed to leave remember the game against Bolton in the cup he had an absolute stormer one of the best displays from a defender in a blue shirt for a long time, reminded of a certain Richard Jobson.

I honestly believe we will go for it next year which is why none of the Trotman fee was spent and there could be an interesting addition to the squad in the summer,just a hunch dont know anything.

Shezz has said he wants to go out of this league in style and to be honest the way the season has gone with injuries I think its a miracle we are not fighting relegation never mind a few points of the play offs.Think next season will be a lot different.

Just my 2 cents Robert

i always remember that goal he scored at BP......took it in his own half, and it sort of stuck to his boot all the way into the chaddy net!!

reminds me of that character on harry enfield yrs ago......'charles charlie charles'

i've even found it for the youngsters who have no idea what i'm on about.......

CCC shows what he learnt from beerbarrel at the 4 min point....

but it's all worth a look............anyone think shez should use it as a team talk tomorrow??

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-nuuA9N9e8E

I'm glad that Rick and Pukka have brought up the question in my mind everytime I hear people on here talking up Gretna players. First of all, as McD came from Kilmarnock who are an established SPL team.....not a main one, but they might flirt near the bottom but do stay up. Now McD at our level has very good games sometimes but is inconsistent and his poor-average games outweigh his good games.

So why would players from Gretna, a club cut off from safety even before a 10pt deduction and clearly out of their depth, be any good at our level? If they're cheap, ok, maybe take a gamble....esp on the GK as we're sorely in need and he's young and can learn....but this injured "star" of there's....If him or his agent get silly and start playing clubs off or owt I'd not be interested one bit. Gretna aren't at our level at all IMO.....probably would be a mid-table League Two side if they played in English football and this Yokowhatever could be the next Richard Butcher.

I'm glad that Rick and Pukka have brought up the question in my mind everytime I hear people on here talking up Gretna players. First of all, as McD came from Kilmarnock who are an established SPL team.....not a main one, but they might flirt near the bottom but do stay up. Now McD at our level has very good games sometimes but is inconsistent and his poor-average games outweigh his good games.

So why would players from Gretna, a club cut off from safety even before a 10pt deduction and clearly out of their depth, be any good at our level? If they're cheap, ok, maybe take a gamble....esp on the GK as we're sorely in need and he's young and can learn....but this injured "star" of there's....If him or his agent get silly and start playing clubs off or owt I'd not be interested one bit. Gretna aren't at our level at all IMO.....probably would be a mid-table League Two side if they played in English football and this Yokowhatever could be the next Richard Butcher.

I do agree with you to some extent Ross, but its that old problem you have when you sign players from bobbins teams... there will be some gems, but the dross around them tend to conceal their ability... we have a prime example at the moment in Mr Hazell... do you remmeber the reaction when it was announced we are signing a chesterfield player? Uproar - people saying why are we wasting our time... and lo and behold.. he is one of the most solid and consistent performers we have had - lets trust players to be jusdged individually, rather than as a member of a pants team...

As for the two players linked, the GK fleming, and Yantorno... well, they both have credentials to make them interesting... Fleming is a Scottish U21 keeper, and Yantorno has played at the top level in South America and for Uruguay U21s... sounds to me that they have ability above thier team... Fleming also wanted by Motherwell and Hearts, and Tantorno is widely rated as one of the best plyers on the pitch no matter who they were playing, before he got injured. Dont know them from larry myself... but we are not being linked to all and sundry from Gretna, just from the sounds of it their 2 best players.... and you have to trust the club to know they are decent targets...

Totally agree with you about the bidding war though.. if it becomes silly, then sod it... but I like the concept that we are already thinking of next season and willing to stick our neck out... like with hughesy (ok - still not quite proven yet) it could lead us to getting something on the cheap that is normally out of our grasp... For yantorno, a bigger club dont need to take tha gamble on an injured player as they can afford similar players who are fit... for a club like us, the offer to take a gamble and rehabilitate may be the only way we can get our hands on him...

As for agents - from what i have picked up they dont have any, they are all financially hammered - as why Wadsworth is acting on their behalf... hence why they are at Oldham....

Allan Smart

Michael Clegg

David Reeves

David Beharall

Dele Adebola

Andy Goram

Matty Appleby

Paul Murray

Julian Baudet

Christian Colluso

Paul Rachubka

Would it be going too far to say that Mick Wadsworth was to David O'Leary as Chris M**re was to Peter Ridsdale?

All the mental scars left by the 1-7 Cardiff match would still be too fresh in the mind if Wadsworth did come back, in any capacity.

Baudet was brought in on trial just before Ritchie left, Wadsworth offered him the deal and his debut at Barrow in the FAC replay.

Of that list, I suspect an agent took a cut from the majority of those deals.

In other words Wadsworth simply took a phone call, and passed it to Chris Moore. Moore would hve done all the negotiating because that was his line of work, and what he thought he was good at.

now if you said Chris Moore sign players behind Wadsworth back, I woud believe that.

• 1 month later...

Gretna FC followed up its relegation from the SPL by being demoted two more divisions because it could not guarantee that it would be able to fulfill its fixtures next season.

The club has less than a week to stave off expulsion from the league, as the league has stated that any takeover must be completed by the early part of next week or it will invite applicants to replace Gretna.

It makes dirty Leeds' deduction of 25 points in total look like a golden handshake.

Scottish Daily Record: Wadsworth to quit Gretna.

Wadsworth

The rumours are 6' 2" under 21 International goalkeeper Greg Fleming (21), Uruguayan

Fabian Yantorno (25) and Paul Murray (31) could move to Latics.

how many clubs is it that wadworth has been in charge of that have got into finnacial trouble either whils hes there or shortly after hes left

huddersfield

oldham

gretna

?

the mans a joahna i tells ya a bloody typhiod mary lol