Tonight's Trialists

Guest M_OAFC

Guest M_OAFC

6 of them played. Certainly wouldn't open negotiations with any of them on the strength of that, although 2 or 3 possibly deserve another look depending on how they did at West Brom which I didn't see.

The centre back I assume was Liam Francis, whom I christened a legend without ever seeing him play, but he failed to live up to his billing and if what I've heard about his 2 previous games is accurate I think I'd be saying thanks but no thanks at this stage.

There were 2 central midfielders on trial. One of them, who they seemed to be calling Eduardo, didn't impress me but the other lad (no idea of his name but he looked English) looked a tidy passer, especially 1st half, didn't see much of the ball in the 2nd. Didn't jump out at me as a Kilkenny/Wellens-esque playmaker, he generally just played short straightforward passes but kept possession well. To be honest I don't think he would bring anything to the squad that we don't already have (yes I can do football speak too!) but I'd probably want another look just to make sure.

The left wing trialist (presumably that Portugese lad) just didn't get in the game at all, hardly saw the ball. What he did do looked reasonable and he didn't seem as easily muscled off the ball as I was expecting from the reports from West Brom but there just wasn't enough to go off to make any sort of judgement one way or the other really. For that reason alone I'd probably want to look at him again but then I haven't seen him at West Brom.

Both strikers were trialists as well. One of them was :censored:. In his defence he saw very little of the ball but he didn't help himself much by looking like he was half asleep most of the time. He reminded me of one of those kids that has been forced to play football in PE at school and doesn't really want to be there. I wouldn't bother asking him to play again.

The other striker (presumably the one from Ghana) looked quite lively though. He was reasonably strong and maybe slightly above average height but definitely not the target man I had thought he might be when somebody found an internet article describing him as "big." Rather it was his pace and quick feet/turns that caught the eye. His distribution was pretty decent too, always released the ball if someone was in a better position unlike a lot of strikers in that mould who tend to be a bit greedy. The main thing he didn't really get chance to test was his finishing but that was mainly because we created sod all all night. Anyway He was the pick of the 6 over the 90 minutes I would say. Again I'm not sure if he would dislodge the strikers we already have playing the same sort of role but you can never be sure off one game, especially when he wasn't getting much service. He was definitely worth another look I'd say. It was also quite funny when he was leaving the field. He got quite a bit of applause and a few well dones from some of our fans near the tunnel to which he responded by giving them all the thumbs up in the kind of assured fashion that made you think he was a legend of 10 years at BP or something. I guess you had to be there!!!

As for our own players - Black at left back, Kelly right mid (although he's more at home in the middle) and Winters at right back (more of a CB normally) were probably the pick.

Oh and by the way we lost about 5 or 6-1 I think, I don't know I lost count and I didn't really care much, I've never really attached much significance to the results of reserve and youth games

Edited by M_OAFC

6 of them played. Certainly wouldn't open negotiations with any of them on the strength of that, although 2 or 3 possibly deserve another look depending on how they did at West Brom which I didn't see.

The centre back I assume was Liam Francis, whom I christened a legend without ever seeing him play, but he failed to live up to his billing and if what I've heard about his 2 previous games is accurate I think I'd be saying thanks but no thanks at this stage.

There were 2 central midfielders on trial. One of them, who they seemed to be calling Eduardo, didn't impress me but the other lad (no idea of his name but he looked English) looked a tidy passer, especially 1st half, didn't see much of the ball in the 2nd. Didn't jump out at me as a Kilkenny/Wellens-esque playmaker, he generally just played short straightforward passes but kept possession well. Too be honest I don't think he would bring anything to the squad that we don't already have (yes I can do football speak too!) but I'd probably want another look just to make sure.

The left wing trialist (presumably that Portugese lad) just didn't get in the game at all, hardly saw the ball. What he did do looked reasonable and he didn't seem as easily muscled off the ball as I was expecting from the reports from West Brom but there just wasn't enough to go off to make any sort of judgement one way or the other really. For that reason alone I'd probably want to look at him again but then I haven't seen him at West Brom.

Both strikers were trialists as well. One of them was :censored:. In his defence he saw very little of the ball but he didn't help himself much by looking like he was half asleep most of the time. He reminded me of one of those kids that has been forced to play football in PE at school and doesn't really want to be there. I wouldn't bother asking him to play again.

The other striker (presumably the one from Ghana) looked quite lively though. He was reasonably strong and maybe slightly above average height but definitely not the target man I had thought he might be when somebody found an internet article describing him as "big." Rather it was his pace and quick feet/turns that caught the eye. His distribution was pretty decent too, always released the ball if someone was in a better position unlike a lot of strikers in that mould who tend to be a bit greedy. The main thing he didn't really get chance to test was his finishing but that was many because we created sod all all night. Anyway He was the pick of the 6 over the 90 minutes I would say. Again I'm not sure if he would dislodge the strikers we already have playing the same sort of role but you can never be sure off one game, especially when he wasn't getting much service. He was definitely worth another look I'd say. It was also quite funny when he was leaving the field. He got quite a bit of applause and a few well dones from some of our fans near the tunnel to which he responded by giving them all the thumbs up in the kind of assured fashion that made you think he was a legend of 10 years at BP or something. I guess you had to be there!!!

As for our own players - Black at left back, Kelly right mid (although he's more at home in the middle) and Winters at right back (more of a CB normally) were probably the pick.

Oh and by the way we lost about 5 or 6-1 I think, I don't know I lost count and I didn't really care much, I've never really attached much significance to the results of reserve and youth games

Good summary, however Iv'e seen far better in non league this season, Droylsden's skillful pacy winger Chris Denham in particular, who turns in excellent performances week in week in a struggling team. Why isn't he offered a trial ?

How do you know he wasn't?

Of course you could be right and we've not spotted him, but it occasionally irritates me when there's an assumption that just because someone's not turned out on trial or been the subject of a failed bid that we've ignored them completely.

I thought the young striker from Ghana looked good. He was very quick over 10 yards, held the ball up well when it came to feet and just generally looked confident. The number 6 was I presume one of the trialists (I was late and didnt get a team sheet) but he didnt get a kick really. Francis wasnt much better than woeful. Forest were miles better in all departments and scored some superb goals.

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and remember where I heard it first when he becomes that legend.

What did I tell you? :grin:

To those who clearly do get to the reserves often...is Kelly worthy of a starting berth on Saturday if Macca's not passed fit, rather than an unfit Gregan?

I think he was a lot better for the reserves last season than this. If that is because we're now in a stronger league I don't know. I had high hopes for him this time last year.

I think he was a lot better for the reserves last season than this. If that is because we're now in a stronger league I don't know. I had high hopes for him this time last year.

So, would any of our seasoned 'reserve scouts' on here take a punt on either Lino or Bradley then for next season - have they shown enough....or is it thanks but no thanks??

Oh, and these South Americans, is it a definate that they've come to us through Wadsworth, or is it a 2 + 2 = 5 after he was spotted at the Millwall game??

So, would any of our seasoned 'reserve scouts' on here take a punt on either Lino or Bradley then for next season - have they shown enough....or is it thanks but no thanks??

Oh, and these South Americans, is it a definate that they've come to us through Wadsworth, or is it a 2 + 2 = 5 after he was spotted at the Millwall game??

I don't think they'll take them on. It's rare we do. Always worth a look though. Trotman didn't do too badly :wink:

As for Wadsworth and South American's. If we have South American's at BP and he's been lurking in the shadows then 2+2=4!

To those who clearly do get to the reserves often...is Kelly worthy of a starting berth on Saturday if Macca's not passed fit, rather than an unfit Gregan?

The simple answer is no. I hate to condemn one of our young players, but I have seen Kelly play many times and I've only seen him play well for about 15 minutes at the end of Monday's game at WBA. He goes missing and only pretends to put in challenges. The most often heard word shouted from Dux's mouth is ASSHHHLLLLEEEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

I have been telling people for weeks how amazed I've been that he's been included on the first team bench.

Having said all that, I did not think Alessandra would make the grade, but I have to admit that he's been outstanding after the initial settling-in period. I would love it, just love it if I was proved wrong by Kelly.

Wrong to judge too soon after seeing them on Monday at the Hawthorns, but my initial impression was that Lino is too lightweight - his tricks woud be OK if we were winning 3-0, but he did not seem the type of player to create something when needed. I would like to see Bradley play again before deciding - he looked to have something about him, but I don't know whether he would be any better than Lewis and Wolfy.

Unike diego I was excited by lewis and thought he had promise in the yoofs and stiffs. Sadly like Diego I don't think Ashley Kelly will make it. Powder puff in the challenge and embarrassing when he tries to con folks he attempts to go in on 50-50's...he doesn't!. He does have some ability but not enough, it's all in little cameo's and he's way to bothered tryin to strut right and look a cool dude.

Onto the trialist, I've seen them twice now and think Mark gives a fair and accurate assessment. Eduardo or Jesus whatever you prefer didn't get into the game last night, but did more (but not enough) at the Hawthorns which I felt deserved another look. Well against a better outfit in Forest, he never got close, who it as to be said was a typical Forest side full of passing short finding space at will. Head and shoulders above Latics who got a footballing lesson. So Jesus it's a no thanks. Goncalves or the English/Portugese fellow who remarkably in one write up seen was likened to Ronaldo, whilst in truth as FMS wrote, the only likeness is in fact they both have heads! again had possibly 4 flashes at the Hawthorns that deserved another look, well I've looked and he'll be back down the M1 as I write. Francis will have a career somewhere in non league, at what level I am unsure but certainly not in the professional ranks. He as ability, however makes to many positional errors and gaffs. Diaz................................ don't even wanna write about him. Hudson-Odi the the lad up front certainly aint big, who billed as that needs shootin and over two games don't think he'll make it.

So sorry folks no Fitz hall's or Trotmans to write about but it brought some interest into a somewhat beleaguered stiffs season.

Wrong to judge too soon after seeing them on Monday at the Hawthorns, but my initial impression was that Lino is too lightweight

You know that we'll be signing this lad....simply coz I can already see the comments about him next season....

"That Lino is a right w****r!" :wink:

Ok....I'll get my coat!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Bradley Hudson Odoi certainly has something to work on, he never stopped running, showed good ball control and his distribution was very good.

However, he needs to be stronger on the ball and show more directness in front of goal.

Yes, I would offer him a deal.

Liam Francis whilst good in the air was caught the wrong side of the attacker too many times for my liking. I would need to see if this a common trait with him.

Sorry, Ashley Kelly does not work hard enough for me.

In answer to how do I know if Chris Denham of Droylsden has been on trial at Latics or not, I do know he has never featured in a reserve game.

Edited by BP1960