I wish people would stop saying...

that our playoff chances where over weeks ago. Ive seen this crop up in a number of posts. People going on with the 'i told you so rant' and 'i never believed we would make the playoffs'. Ok, our chances might have been over weeks ago but as football fans it is only natural to believe and have hope that our team can achieve. Negativity breeds negativity. If Leeds had started their season with a negative attitude then they would not be where they are now in terms of league position. Its still possible now for us to get in the playoffs but it all comes down to probability. We had a great chance to be up there weeks ago. We didnt, so get over it and keep the faith for a new season with hopefully new blood, far less injuries, and a stronger more experienced squad.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that our playoff chances where over weeks ago. Ive seen this crop up in a number of posts. People going on with the 'i told you so rant' and 'i never believed we would make the playoffs'. Ok, our chances might have been over weeks ago but as football fans it is only natural to believe and have hope that our team can achieve. Negativity breeds negativity. If Leeds had started their season with a negative attitude then they would not be where they are now in terms of league position. Its still possible now for us to get in the playoffs but it all comes down to probability. We had a great chance to be up there weeks ago. We didnt, so get over it and keep the faith for a new season with hopefully new blood, far less injuries, and a stronger more experienced squad.

The way this season has gone it is not surprising that people decided to write the season off. This season has been hit and miss for months and the odds of suddenly becoming consistent with the same bunch of players was never lilely to happen. In my mind you should direct your thoughts directly at the club and not just people on here who decided we where not going to make it, Hardy stated we wouldnt be going into the transfer market at the last chance because we had practically no chance of getting into the playoffs. I am over this season because we have had a long time to try and take in the simple fact that we have been served up hit and miss football for most of the season.

Edited by drphibes

In my mind you should direct your thoughts directly at the club and not just people on here who decided we where not going to make it, Hardy stated we wouldnt be going into the transfer market at the last chance because we had practically no chance of getting into the playoffs.

good point, i agree.

Our play-off chances were actually over when we made the usual poor start to the season.

fantastic attitude!

The attitude of somebody who is a mere spectator has nothing at all to do with anything.

Weak and small playing squads don't generally catch up with the leading pack after a terrible start two seasons running.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

fantastic attitude!

The attitude and opinion of fans on a Messageboard doesn't really affect the performance on the pitch though does it?

Not sure the chances were over after the poor start but it certainly made it a hell of a lot more difficult as we were always playing "catch-up". The poor start also coincided with a relatively injury-free squad which is a point many seem to be glossing over.

Poor start; crucial managerial mistakes; injuries to key players; inconsistency; poor activity in the transfer market at key times (ie pre-January 31). All have contributed to us missing out this Year and that list is not exhaustive.

Admittedly, some of those things are down to luck but there are plenty that can be influenced and put right. Let's hope that the people who matter have learned. Otherwise, next Season will probably be the same.

To be pointing the finger at the lack of activity a couple of weeks ago is ludicrous in my opinion when it was clear that we had around a 4% chance of getting promoted. Basic maths and probability told us that. Easy to gamble with other people's money but common sense suggests that it would be more prudent to save funds until the next campaign when the odds are so heavily stacked against.

Incidentally, I haven't read anything at all about the Club; Manager or Players "giving up" this Season and I'm sure that they will be determined to pick up 3 points on Saturday. It would be typical of this Season (and last) were we to beat Leyton Orient 5-0 before losing heavily in our next game. Consistency is the key and that has been missing for far too long.

Poor start; crucial managerial mistakes; injuries to key players; inconsistency; poor activity in the transfer market at key times (ie pre-January 31). All have contributed to us missing out this Year and that list is not exhaustive.

Admittedly, some of those things are down to luck but there are plenty that can be influenced and put right. Let's hope that the people who matter have learned. Otherwise, next Season will probably be the same.

The pattern is already set. People sense this. In the clubs current circumstances it couldn't really be any other way.

It is why season ticket sales will be low.

The attitude and opinion of fans on a Messageboard doesn't really affect the performance on the pitch though does it?

Not sure the chances were over after the poor start but it certainly made it a hell of a lot more difficult as we were always playing "catch-up". The poor start also coincided with a relatively injury-free squad which is a point many seem to be glossing over.

Nail on head I think there. After a promising start preseason, we totally changed our formation and style to shoehorn NK into the team. I hope that we have a decent player to play with Allott next season (whether this is Yantorno or not?) so we can sort out the structure of OUR team and not take a chance on a loanee. Loanees should enhance a team and squad, not BE the team.

I hope Shez gets his chance, learns from this seasons mistakes and proves his worth next season without interference.

Oh, and an investigation into why we've had so many injuries this season wouldn't go amiss!

Edited by jorvik_latic

We were always going to have a slow start though, it would have extraordinary if Davies, Ricketts, Thompson, Allott, Crossley, Giddings and Kalala had all hit the ground running and slotted in around Eardley, Gregan, Stam, Liddell, Taylor and Macca.

Add to that after a few games Allott was desperately out of sorts, Macca was still dropped, Rickets was buggering about as was Kalala, Giddings had gone and Bertrand was brought in, Taylor was having second (full) season dip then the injuries started.

As has been pointed out at length on here and other boards, the major contributing factor to teams performing badly is accommodating large scale changes in personnel year on year and this year we had that in spades. Success is built on consistency and the only that has been consistent about us this year has been our inconsistency.

The pattern is already set. People sense this. In the clubs current circumstances it couldn't really be any other way.

It is why season ticket sales will be low.

Deterministic nonsense. There is nothing fundamental to the nature of the club that means our course is set without some miraculous changes. It’s like the nonsense that Newcastle are “meant” to play in a certain way, or that Leeds are too big to stay in this division. You need to read a little less Hegel and a bit more football history Corp.

Who's to say that our play-off chances are over we have 4 winnable games left which would give us 70 points and having done that BBC predictor thingy i think we may still be in with a shout on the last day. Its not over until its mathematically impossible for it to be so. A lot of the teams around us have some tricky games or are playing each other.

Even if the highly likely scenario that we are still in this god-awful division next season then its not too bad as personally I don't think we have the players to perform week in week out in the Championship and we wouldn't be able to afford to bring the players we need in all at once. Plus not being in the play-offs will give us that little bit longer to get the players in we need for this division. Also if you look at who has been promoted from this division recently they have usually finished outside the play-offs but in the top 10 the season before so there are always plus sides.

However, a season isn't made or loss by the transfer activity during the last few weeks its about how well the team performs throughout, the managerial (and chairmen) decisions and a whole heap of luck. Like i said when i did the BBC predictor thingy the team closest to keeping us out of the play-offs was Walsall whose fortunes turned around dramatically when Ricketts went to them (they were dire when we played them away) and our decision to let Ricketts play against us could well prove very very costly. Then there is Leeds who had a very fortunate winner against us (plus some other teams) or Brighton who we murdered for 79 minutes but only scored one goal allowing them to get a fortunate last minute equaliser. None of those occurred recently but could well have a bigger impact on our season than the inability to sign someone in the last few weeks of the season when the quality isn't there. I'd much rather the club saved their money and got some quality in during the close season than gambling on a player we only need due to injury.

Guest oa_exile
We were always going to have a slow start though, it would have extraordinary if Davies, Ricketts, Thompson, Allott, Crossley, Giddings and Kalala had all hit the ground running and slotted in around Eardley, Gregan, Stam, Liddell, Taylor and Macca.

Add to that after a few games Allott was desperately out of sorts, Macca was still dropped, Rickets was buggering about as was Kalala, Giddings had gone and Bertrand was brought in, Taylor was having second (full) season dip then the injuries started.

As has been pointed out at length on here and other boards, the major contributing factor to teams performing badly is accommodating large scale changes in personnel year on year and this year we had that in spades. Success is built on consistency and the only that has been consistent about us this year has been our inconsistency.

That is why we have pre-season training and friendlies (five) to get the squad together and time to gel ?, how much time did they need ?

Guest oa_exile
Who's to say that our play-off chances are over we have 4 winnable games left which would give us 70 points

That is a big ask , 70 pts ! , we will need Leeds to slip up badly as they have five games left and are on 64pts.

The other top five positions I think are gone Southend are 5th with 68pts , Forest 4th on 69pts both also have five to play.

However, a season isn't made or loss by the transfer activity during the last few weeks its about how well the team performs throughout, the managerial (and chairmen) decisions and a whole heap of luck. Like i said when i did the BBC predictor thingy the team closest to keeping us out of the play-offs was Walsall whose fortunes turned around dramatically when Ricketts went to them (they were dire when we played them away) and our decision to let Ricketts play against us could well prove very very costly. Then there is Leeds who had a very fortunate winner against us (plus some other teams) or Brighton who we murdered for 79 minutes but only scored one goal allowing them to get a fortunate last minute equaliser. None of those occurred recently but could well have a bigger impact on our season than the inability to sign someone in the last few weeks of the season when the quality isn't there. I'd much rather the club saved their money and got some quality in during the close season than gambling on a player we only need due to injury.

This is partly the point I was trying to make yesterday. Forget the injuries, team gelling and the rest of the excuses and look back at individual games. The team that we have put out failed on numerous occasions to deliver. At least 20-30 points were dropped and that is being generous - the real figure could well be higher.

In other words, we had the necessary quality but for one reason or another, the points were not won. I don't buy this "general malaise at The Club" and "our ambition is to stay at this level" since to me, that's completely wrong and totally the opposite of the Public Statements and investment that have been made.

For one reason or another though, we are underperforming and for that, you need to look at The Manager; Coaching Staff and some of the Players.

Guest sheridans_world

Playoffs are out of it now, we can't get more than 70 points, Leeds are on 64 and still have some easy teams to play. Walsall are also still in with a shout above us.

Say Leeds do mess up, i still get Walsall in the playoffs with 72 points

Deterministic nonsense. There is nothing fundamental to the nature of the club that means our course is set without some miraculous changes. It’s like the nonsense that Newcastle are “meant” to play in a certain way, or that Leeds are too big to stay in this division. You need to read a little less Hegel and a bit more football history Corp.

Perhaps you are right. I hope you are.

We will see.

Whether you are or not, season ticket sales will, due to the last two seasons, be damagingly low, however.

Even if the highly likely scenario that we are still in this god-awful division next season then its not too bad as personally I don't think we have the players to perform week in week out in the Championship and we wouldn't be able to afford to bring the players we need in all at once. Plus not being in the play-offs will give us that little bit longer to get the players in we need for this division. Also if you look at who has been promoted from this division recently they have usually finished outside the play-offs but in the top 10 the season before so there are always plus sides.

The trouble is that a club that bases its strategy on hanging around until the time is right is more likely to go out of the division at the wrong end.

For a start, it makes the club appear unambitious. which means attendances suffer as interest wanes. The resulting financial loss will eventually see a weakening of the playing squad...

I don't buy this "general malaise at The Club" and "our ambition is to stay at this level" since to me, that's completely wrong and totally the opposite of the Public Statements and investment that have been made.

The naivety of such sentiments is touching.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Included in this is a season where we played the best football we have for over a decade???

Contrary to what was said when Ronnie was here, people care less about pretty football than results.

Now that we've 'got our Oldham back', less people want it after all, if the falling crowds are anything to go by.

Perhaps you are right. I hope you are.

We will see.

Whether you are or not, season ticket sales will, due to the last two seasons, be damagingly low, however.

I’m not really saying that I think we will have a great season and I’ll have been proved right if we do, any more than I think your point would be proven if we turn out to have a bad one instead. Rather, I’m saying that there are far too many imponderables, and it makes no sense to assume that there is something set in stone on the basis of what you perceive as a lack of ambition – as demonstrated by a play-off season one year followed by a season that was close to playoffs, albeit falling short when it mattered. I wouldn’t be surprised to see slow season ticket sales, I also am confident we will get a couple of good signings in the Summer that will give us the usual restoration of faith that just maybe we can achieve something this time.

The attitude of somebody who is a mere spectator has nothing at all to do with anything.

Weak and small playing squads don't generally catch up with the leading pack after a terrible start two seasons running.

The fact that we did last season, only for the fixture pile up did exactly what it has done this season - tireda small squad completely out.

Blackpool's squad was hardly the biggest, to be fair. They ended up finishing 3rd, and winning promotion, and they spent 30 games down in the lower half.