rotherham want fee for o'grady

Rotherham United manager, Mark Robins, has told The Advertiser, that Chris O'Grady will not be allowed to leave the club for nothing.

The twenty-two year old striker refused to sign a wage deferral and hasn't played for the first team since. He came to Millmoor from Leicester last year and the club want to recover some of the £65,000 fee.

It is thought that Oldham Athletic are keen to sign the striker and Robins said, 'Although the transfer market has closed and not a lot can happen, deals can be agreed.'

O'Grady (or O'Greedy, as the fans have re-named him), played for the reserves on Wednesday night in the 2-0 defeat against Sheffield United

What they want and what they'll get are two very different things if they are in breach of contract (thats if we're even interested).

It definitely sounds like he's coming here. I think he'll link up very well with Yantorno and that Spanish lad.

It definitely sounds like he's coming here. I think he'll link up very well with Yantorno and that Spanish lad.

Its Diaz! The new reserve team legend!

I love this story... the rotherham fans calling someone greedy for wanting to get paid... would you stay with your curent employer if they said they werent going to pay you?? Gettting paid for work... yeah, thats greedy...

... and as senor said... if they have breahed contract, he can give 14 days notice and toddle off where he likes.... and i'd say not paying someone is a pretty big breach of contract...

Its Diaz! The new reserve team legend!

I love this story... the rotherham fans calling someone greedy for wanting to get paid... would you stay with your curent employer if they said they werent going to pay you?? Gettting paid for work... yeah, thats greedy...

... and as senor said... if they have breahed contract, he can give 14 days notice and toddle off where he likes.... and i'd say not paying someone is a pretty big breach of contract...

I’m not sure I agree with that TBH. I think sometimes we have to just accept that football is not like another job. These guys get contracts of employment that cover them for several years at a time, I don’t think it’s too much to ask for them to wait a couple of weeks while the club tries to sort something out. It happens in a lot of other companies which are having trouble, and that’s from people who might not necessarily have another job lined up, whereas this guy knows a juicy signing on fee is round the corner.

I’m not sure I agree with that TBH. I think sometimes we have to just accept that football is not like another job. These guys get contracts of employment that cover them for several years at a time, I don’t think it’s too much to ask for them to wait a couple of weeks while the club tries to sort something out. It happens in a lot of other companies which are having trouble, and that’s from people who might not necessarily have another job lined up, whereas this guy knows a juicy signing on fee is round the corner.

I think you answer your own point - footballers have even less reason to stay with an employer that doesnt pay you - well, if you are half decent anyway... if your employer now said they wont pay you, but they will in a month, you would prob stick it out as the process of finding another equivalent job would take longer, and you would be more out of pocket...

O'Grady is a supposed 'up-and-coming' player... and if rotherham cant pay him then he has every right to decide he wants to go elsewhere where his services are wanted an paid for... for me its rotherhams fault, and if a player is wanted elswhere and they ahve sodded up then he should be free to go... way of the footballing world...

Wouldnt say that is greedy... just realistic... and I dont know a single other commercial company who would offer wage deferrals... if they cant pay their salaries they would just go bust, the concept of asking employee to hang on without pay is sjust stupid... and would only happen in football....

... and I dont know a single other commercial company who would offer wage deferrals... if they cant pay their salaries they would just go bust, the concept of asking employee to hang on without pay is sjust stupid... and would only happen in football....

I'm afraid that quite a few commercial companies that I've known have paid wages late or asked for staff to voluntary defer their wages. All of them went bust in the end including a couple owing wages which the government had to foot.

P.S. These weren't my companies by the way!

I'm afraid that quite a few commercial companies that I've known have paid wages late or asked for staff to voluntary defer their wages. All of them went bust in the end including a couple owing wages which the government had to foot.

P.S. These weren't my companies by the way!

Exactly! The concept of deferring wages in the real world = end of company... in football it is used as a crutch, which is emotional blackmail - wouldnt happen in the real world, and then the govenment has to foot some of the bill through arbitration... I would attach no blame to anyone walking out of a contract if they said wages were to be deferred.... you might aswell say you dont care about your career, family, future etc....

Rotherham can go F themselves IMO. Think we'll only be interested if no fee is involved. Certainly side with O'Grady though simply for the fact I've lost any sympathy I had for Rotherham. I just can't understand how the club can end up in Administration twice within 12mths. Don't want them to go bust, but they can dictate all they want.....but as has been said, what they'll get is another matter.

Ive never heard of this guy. if he is supposedly that good, and command a 65000 fee, how come he has only scored 11 in league two? how would that translate to league one? please correct me if he has been injured etc, i will stand corrected. but having heard his stats on here he doesnt sound like he will set the world on fire.

Ive never heard of this guy. if he is supposedly that good, and command a 65000 fee, how come he has only scored 11 in league two? how would that translate to league one? please correct me if he has been injured etc, i will stand corrected. but having heard his stats on here he doesnt sound like he will set the world on fire.

To be fair, neither did Porter but he did the job at this level.