Liddell Signs One Year Deal

Just hope Shez doesn't fall into the "jobs for the boys" and "accommodating" trap that's previously left the team sorely unbalanced and slow to counter attack and plays Lids in a more suitable role like...behind the front two or from the bench. Otherwise, next season will come unstuck and no more excuses will be on offer.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Just hope Shez doesn't fall into the "jobs for the boys" and "accommodating" trap that's previously left the team sorely unbalanced and slow to counter attack and plays Lids in a more suitable role like...behind the front two or from the bench. Otherwise, next season will come unstuck and no more excuses will be on offer.

Head of the diamond like pre season could work. I suspect we'll try again this pre season and then scrub it by the first game just as we start to get used to it :angry:

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Guest sheridans_world

Good work that by Shez, i'm suprised Liddel took a one year deal. I guess he doesnt have offers flying in on the money he wants but from a security point of view, he could have signed a two or three year contract with a lower league club.

Is it? A one year deal for working for 3mths of a 3yr contract. Nice one.....

Causes alot of debate Andy Liddel

Of those 3 seasons he has been plagued by injuries except one season last season his most productive season and ours. We have been at our best when he has been at his best. Our best result in those 3 years was at home to Forrest last year he had a hand in all 5 goals so quite simply when he has ticked we have too. Although I would agree with you in the fact that next season I would like to see him used from the bench. I doubt shez will go down the line of jobs for the boys as was shown in his jettisoning of Warne last season would of been the easiest thing in the world to keep the fans favourite he got rid which i think in the end was the right decision.

Good stuff.

Two players in one morning tied down for next season, and we haven't even played our final game yet. Shez means it when he's not messing about anymore. You can see him really heading for the quick start. No taking 2-3 week to sort out a deal after the season closes; sign it or bugger off.

Also gives Lids more time to get his fitness back at its highest level, because he knows where he'll be now.

Du du du looks like Shezza agrees with my sentiments then.

x

Lol....nope, we'll see if that's true by how much he plays next season.

Shez has said already that he wants Lids due to his influence on the kids and the fact he wants him to be a voice other than his own that they hear. I'm hoping Shez agrees with my sentiments and that he's not here for on the field help as much as he is here for off the field help (hence the coaching role carrot that was needed to be dangled.) Put it this way.....if he does play RW next season regularly, we'll get the same mediocrity and the season will go tits up and his (and your sentiments) will be packing their bags and leaving Boundary Park....coz he's no excuses next season. I've always said I'll accept him being offered a deal so long as it's not to be the main RW in the team. We'll see how this plays out come August 2008.

Hardly 'fantastic'.

I think this is great news, undoubtedly a classy player and I think with him putting the balls in for a fit Lee Hughes you will see the benefits of having someone who can pick a pass and hit their man. He is never going to start all season but a quality option from the bench.

While he is an Oldham player, and so long he doesn't treat the club with indifference or disdain (in the way Ricketts did), I will support him.

I have made my feelings known about resigning Liddell and hope now he's signed he will be considered no more than a benchwarmer.

If we want someone to play at the head of a diamond, let's go for Jarrett. He's big, strong and more than capable of dishing out/ riding tackles.

KEEP THE FAITH

Lol....nope, we'll see if that's true by how much he plays next season.

Shez has said already that he wants Lids due to his influence on the kids and the fact he wants him to be a voice other than his own that they hear. I'm hoping Shez agrees with my sentiments and that he's not here for on the field help as much as he is here for off the field help (hence the coaching role carrot that was needed to be dangled.) Put it this way.....if he does play RW next season regularly, we'll get the same mediocrity and the season will go tits up and his (and your sentiments) will be packing their bags and leaving Boundary Park....coz he's no excuses next season. I've always said I'll accept him being offered a deal so long as it's not to be the main RW in the team. We'll see how this plays out come August 2008.

Why?? Wasn't my sentiment he should get a new deal??? Has he??

I suggested a central role for him long ago Mr Blue80, as did Shez last summer. If you can call it a suggestion! It wasnt your idea dude it is obvious his best position is where he has nearly always played. The standard of his displays on the wing despite being an ageing central player merely highlight just how good he is.

I've always said I'll accept him being offered a deal so long as it's not to be the main RW in the team. We'll see how this plays out come August 2008.

While he is an Oldham player, and so long he doesn't treat the club with indifference or disdain (in the way Ricketts did), I will support him.

I have made my feelings known about resigning Liddell and hope now he's signed he will be considered no more than a benchwarmer.

If we want someone to play at the head of a diamond, let's go for Jarrett. He's big, strong and more than capable of dishing out/ riding tackles.

KEEP THE FAITH

So, Smalley goes straight into the side? What if Liddell performs more consistently than Smalley/Taylor? He still shouldn't be in the side? Of course, if Lids' form dips, then sure, give someone else a chance, but we can't just say 'bench Liddell' for no reason, surely?

So, Smalley goes straight into the side? What if Liddell performs more consistently than Smalley/Taylor? He still shouldn't be in the side? Of course, if Lids' form dips, then sure, give someone else a chance, but we can't just say 'bench Liddell' for no reason, surely?

These guys dont like him. They demand pace over quality.

Good work that by Shez, i'm suprised Liddel took a one year deal. I guess he doesnt have offers flying in on the money he wants but from a security point of view, he could have signed a two or three year contract with a lower league club.

Lids told me at the sponsors dinner that wanted to sign another contract, and at this stage of his career he realised that he wasn't going to be getting big bucks. He said that if the club offered him something sensible perhaps with a bit of appearance money then he'd happily sign it. His exact words were "put it this way, it's not gonna cost them much money to get me to sign another contract".

I think he's a very useful option next term.

The debate on whether it is a good move is largely dependant upon his wages. I hope we haven't blown much on a wild risk that a spent force can suddenly learn to run again.

Can't see much good in this myself.

I think the person you have in your name proves that you don't need to be able to run to be a good footballer, same goes with Liddell, he is a quality footballer not a 100 metre sprinter. Give Lids the ball and he'll supply the chances for everyone else.

I'll turn it around. What's wrong with starting with Smalley/Taylor? They are young, quick, mobile and more likely to tire a defence out. As has been said by other luminaries on here, Liddell can be easily marked out of the game. In my opinion, should we have Davies and Hughes fit next season, then we will have a front four to frighten most teams.