Liddell Signs One Year Deal

The debate on whether it is a good move is largely dependant upon his wages. I hope we haven't blown much on a wild risk that a spent force can suddenly learn to run again.

Can't see much good in this myself.

First sentance very true. Where as im probably seen on here as being Andy Liddells no.2 fan I do recognise his limitations. The reason I dont mention them is because it is done to death and exagerated by plenty of other posters....much like you have just done. Therefore my pro Liddell campaign of recent days began really as an effort to redress the balance.

I'll turn it around. What's wrong with starting with Smalley/Taylor? They are young, quick, mobile and more likely to tire a defence out. As has been said by other luminaries on here, Liddell can be easily marked out of the game. In my opinion, should we have Davies and Hughes fit next season, then we will have a front four to frighten most teams.

Smalley is considered by some to have a bit of a stamina problem himself.....not ideal when you're tasking him with tiring out defences! :wink:

I'll turn it around. What's wrong with starting with Smalley/Taylor? They are young, quick, mobile and more likely to tire a defence out. As has been said by other luminaries on here, Liddell can be easily marked out of the game. In my opinion, should we have Davies and Hughes fit next season, then we will have a front four to frighten most teams.

Smalley is more likely to tire himself out at the moment by running down the wing and being unable to put in a decent cross when he's done it, waste of time. Wouldn't mind Taylor on the right but we'll have to see if Shez brings anyone in on the left.

Smalley is more likely to tire himself out at the moment by running down the wing and being unable to put in a decent cross when he's done it, waste of time. Wouldn't mind Taylor on the right but we'll have to see if Shez brings anyone in on the left.

I think Taylor might look at himself doing a Joe Cole insofar that he likes cutting in from the left to shoot with his right foot.

Edited by mikejh45

These guys dont like him. They demand pace over quality.

Not strictly true. They demand that our winger be fast, skillful, able to get to the byline and deliver a pinpoint cross, and also chip in with an eye for goal. A good work ethic, ability and desire to track back, strength in the challenge and able to mend fridge doors that are a bit off the hinges are also desirable attributes. Just being pretty good like Lidell is doesn't cut it.

I'm not asking why Liddell should get an instant place in the side. I didn't say that. I said that if Taylor/Smalley suffer a dip in form, why should Liddell just be a bench-warmer?

You've just indicated to me that you'd have Lids on the bench all the time, and start either one of two players no matter what. It brings into question your views on man-management etc.

By the way, I also rate Taylor and Smalley quite highly. I agree that their pace is very handy, and it's proved to be a real thorn in the side of some teams. I'm not talking about each of the 3 players' main qualities, I'm on about why should a player never actually be considered if other players are out of form.

I'm not asking why Liddell should get an instant place in the side. I didn't say that. I said that if Taylor/Smalley suffer a dip in form, why should Liddell just be a bench-warmer?

You've just indicated to me that you'd have Lids on the bench all the time, and start either one of two players no matter what. It brings into question your views on man-management etc.

By the way, I also rate Taylor and Smalley quite highly. I agree that their pace is very handy, and it's proved to be a real thorn in the side of some teams. I'm not talking about each of the 3 players' main qualities, I'm on about why should a player never actually be considered if other players are out of form.

I was merely stating my point; re: starting line-up for next season. And using Liddell for this impact role that other posters have told me about.

Good work that by Shez, i'm suprised Liddel took a one year deal. I guess he doesnt have offers flying in on the money he wants but from a security point of view, he could have signed a two or three year contract with a lower league club.

I'd be shocked if any lower league club gave out a two or three year deal to a player who will be 35 come the start of next season, even less so if they'd had injury problems like Lidds has had.

Good option to have providing he can stay injury free.

I would much sooner have Liddell starting than Smalley. Liddell is by far the best crosser of a ball we have. He doesn't need pace to beat his man, he can create a yard and put in a much better ball than Smalley despite his extra pace.

Liddell made the highest number of assists in League 1 last season and also chipped in with a few of his own. He certainly wouldnt have missed the amount of sitters that Smalley has this season

Not strictly true. They demand that our winger be fast, skillful, able to get to the byline and deliver a pinpoint cross, and also chip in with an eye for goal. A good work ethic, ability and desire to track back, strength in the challenge and able to mend fridge doors that are a bit off the hinges are also desirable attributes. Just being pretty good like Lidell is doesn't cut it.

Well we have no wingers who meet that description. Lids can cross, i can't think of anyone else we have who can in our squad.

Edited by ritchie82

Well we have no wingers who meet that description. Lids can cross, i can't think of anyone else we have who can in our squad.

So we have 3 players who are played on the wing who don't fit the bill.

1) Taylor is on the left and looks, in my opinion, to prefer cutting in for a shot.

2) Smalley is a forward who is tricky and can't cross.

3) Liddell is also a forward who can cross the ball (also a concession, Stitch) but can't beat a man and therefore is crossing the ball from a diagonal position instead of in front of the forward line.

So who is the best option? I still prefer the Taylor/Smalley approach to drag defenders around.

Edited by mikejh45

Liddell was a quality player in his day but that day has now passed. He still can be useful at this level in a number of positions (out wide, in the middle of midfield as a passer, just behind the front player(s) and as a striker as well). However I can't see him being a first team regular if everyone is fit as I can see Shez bringing in a central midfield player and a left sided player (technically Livermore fits both but i doubt it will be him on his own). He is however, an adept reserve and will be a useful player to have on the bench as due to his 'versatility' he can give you options and he could be a useful impact player for us. Liddell's injury problems strike me as being the result of playing too many games for his body and if he is not playing as regularly then he might not have the injury problems.

Overall, this new deal strikes me a being a good thing on the big provision that we aren't over-paying him as I'd imagine that he was on one of the best wages at the club before and i just hope he isn't now and his wages fit more the amount of games we will get out of him.

Nice to see Liddell's still causing plenty of debate. :grin:

I'm very glad he's signed a one year deal, especially if it's a sensible financial package (lowish basic & decent appearance money).

I don't see him being an ever present by any means, but he can offer us plenty still, and (as I keep saying) is a fantastic mentor for the likes of Smalley and Alessandra.

I also think he's an honest enough player to always give his best when selected.

Who cares that he's signed a one year deal?

What we SHOULD be talking about is the fact that on that free news bit ont fissial site, Lids says we're thinking of swapping Davies for a microwave and Eardley for a toaster :shock: surely Davies is worth atleast a fridge?

:grin:

Edited by carrabanana

What we SHOULD be talking about is the fact that on that free news bit ont fissial site, Lids says we're thinking of swapping Davies for a microwave and Eardley for a toaster :shock: surely Davies is worth atleast a fridge?

I'd swap Thompson for a toaster, would be more useful and it wouldn't breakdown every five minutes!

STUDYING TIME, DAUGHTER!!!

Why?? Wasn't my sentiment he should get a new deal??? Has he??

I suggested a central role for him long ago Mr Blue80, as did Shez last summer. If you can call it a suggestion! It wasnt your idea dude it is obvious his best position is where he has nearly always played. The standard of his displays on the wing despite being an ageing central player merely highlight just how good he is.

I think you'll find that I was suggesting this at the start of 2007 when our home form turned ######. I suggested it mainly due to his impact in the Northampton game of December 2006!!! And said to move Taylor over to the right. Why? Coz we couldn't break them down at home and Shez moved him there and within seconds, Porter netted from a neat piece of play by Lids. But you trying taking claim to it if you wish.

Like I said, if Shez falls into the same traps next season, he'll bring about problems to the balance of the team. Simple.

imo would have been nice if we could have linked in some kinda coaching deal then i wouldnt have been so doubtful of what he can bring to club. again imo as a player that is limited, however i do believe that he has some kind of positive influence on the younger lads. i hope he proves me wrong and has an influential season.

Guest oa_exile
Defending Lids on here is fighting a losing battle

Not really Gemma , I am a Lidds fan and he will be here next season :)

Let Shez have the last say on it :wink:

You see Gemma , Shez does listen to us :)

You see Gemma , Shez does listen to us :)

He does :) Im looking forward to next season, a few decent signings in the summer and we should have a team capable of a decent push for promotion. I just hope we manage to keep hold of Eardley but i expect he'll probably be off in the summer

What i want to know is who did Lids give his shirt to after the game, i want it! :(