Billy Urmson back at BP

correct me if i'm wrong,but why would latics offer him youth team coach role if philly is doing that?

TP isn't classed as a youth team coach, he's head of the Centre of Excellence (I think), I think Tony's always had someone working with him, I remember Tommy Wright worked with the youth team before he stepped up.

maybe there is about to be a shake up in the coaching side,and tp is being promoted to first team???

Can't see it. Tony is this club's prized asset, in my opinion. It won't be long before a big side come in and offer him a contract; the work he's doing with the young lads is phenomenal. I don't think we'd see the best of him if he started working with the first team.

If we did offer him a youth coach contract he would probably be there to give the lads more attention.

TP isn't classed as a youth team coach, he's head of the Centre of Excellence (I think), I think Tony's always had someone working with him, I remember Tommy Wright worked with the youth team before he stepped up.

mmm...

i'm surprised if so,i thought philly had others working with him - maybe philly has been doing both roles ...?

Billy's favourite direction to the players was "DO IT!"

Billy's ONLY direction to the players was "DO IT!"

Did a great job bringing kids through, but I'd hate to see him at pitchside for 1st team games again.

Billy's favourite direction to the players was "DO IT!"

Billy's ONLY direction to the players was "DO IT!"

Did a great job bringing kids through, but I'd hate to see him at pitchside for 1st team games again.

if you scroll down on the link , he cant do it anyway due to ill health, he is to become a scout instead

Can't see it. Tony is this club's prized asset, in my opinion. It won't be long before a big side come in and offer him a contract; the work he's doing with the young lads is phenomenal. I don't think we'd see the best of him if he started working with the first team.

If we did offer him a youth coach contract he would probably be there to give the lads more attention.

If my drink addled brain serves me right, Dowie wanted Phyllis with him at Crystal Palace but he turned a big offer down because he is settled in this area and he loves his position at Latics.

Edited by mikejh45

If my drink addled brain serves me right, Dowie wanted Phyllis with him at Crystal Palace but he turned a big offer down because he is settled in this area and he loves his position at Latics.

there was also a rumour that blackburn wanted him,as well as danny philliskirk,but he chose chelsea and tp stayed put.

I'm fairly certain quite a few bigger clubs than ourselves including united have tried to get Philiskirk in the past but he has turned them down. When Dowie was here he said that one day Philiskirk would be a fantastic manager for us but i think he is happier working with the youth teams. He does a fantastic job for us and seems a really nice bloke too.

Urmson did a good job for us too last time he was here when he was working as a scout/youth team coach

Edited by Gemma06

I'm fairly certain quite a few bigger clubs than ourselves including united have tried to get Philiskirk in the past but he has turned them down. When Dowie was here he said that one day Philiskirk would be a fantastic manager for us but i think he is happier working with the youth teams. He does a fantastic job for us and seems a really nice bloke too.

Urmson did a good job for us too last time he was here when he was working as a scout/youth team coach

Philliskirk is doing a superb job with the youths and he seems settled here. I hope that continues to be the case. I don't Philliskirk will ever be a first-team manager, why would he want to get all that stick for a very unrewarding job when he gets all the credit for our youth system? He rejected moving with Dowie because he wanted to concentrate on youth players instead.

Would be good for Urmson to be back here, not heard anything about him since he was taken to hospital a few years back. He had some success with the youths in his day and if he can scout some players for us all the better. Don't let him near the first-team though I can see him and Gregan having a few words with each other!

Philliskirk is doing a superb job with the youths and he seems settled here. I hope that continues to be the case. I don't Philliskirk will ever be a first-team manager, why would he want to get all that stick for a very unrewarding job when he gets all the credit for our youth system? He rejected moving with Dowie because he wanted to concentrate on youth players instead.

Would be good for Urmson to be back here, not heard anything about him since he was taken to hospital a few years back. He had some success with the youths in his day and if he can scout some players for us all the better. Don't let him near the first-team though I can see him and Gregan having a few words with each other!

lol...it'll be like "good cop bad cop" in the youths now!

As an aside, it is really good to see Billy back to full health, my friend looked after him whilst Billy was in intensive care in Dale and seriously ill. As a club legend I'm just happy to see that he is fighting fit. And if he is going to be working as a scout/youth scout then all the better...it increases the potential for us to spot the next star.

Incidentally, Billy had numerous stories that my mate relayed to us about his time with us particularly the Ritchie and M***e (chris) era.

He does a fantastic job for us and seems a really nice bloke too.

That's true.

Edited by BP1960