Richie Wellens

I realise that all the random suggesting of transfer targets is a little annoying but it's a little different with Wellens. Ordinarily we would have no hope of attracting a player like him - a probable rivals star player and team of the year stalwart (there's your cue Corp). However there was a lot of talk a few months back of him wanting to come back and he has been seen at numerous games. Somebody said "Wellens would walk back to Oldham over broken glass", well id walk to Donny and carry him back over it myself. I think he was the big miss this season and now I think he is the missing piece of next seasons jigsaw. We would be a stronger side and play 'better football' seeing as everything would go through him, potentially improving gates a touch as well as results. Also as well as being first choice the fella barely misses games therefore meaning maybe we can cut on central midfield cover and pay his premium.....risky but worthwhile??

So what likelihood of recapturing him?? Would it be more likely if Donny were to be promoted or not??

I realise that all the random suggesting of transfer targets is a little annoying but it's a little different with Wellens. Ordinarily we would have no hope of attracting a player like him - a probable rivals star player and team of the year stalwart (there's your cue Corp). However there was a lot of talk a few months back of him wanting to come back and he has been seen at numerous games. Somebody said "Wellens would walk back to Oldham over broken glass", well id walk to Donny and carry him back over it myself. I think he was the big miss this season and now I think he is the missing piece of next seasons jigsaw. We would be a stronger side and play 'better football' seeing as everything would go through him, potentially improving gates a touch as well as results. Also as well as being first choice the fella barely misses games therefore meaning maybe we can cut on central midfield cover and pay his premium.....risky but worthwhile??

So what likelihood of recapturing him?? Would it be more likely if Donny were to be promoted or not??

AS I SPEAK TO RICHIES DAD ALMOST EVERYDAY WHEN HE DROPS PARCELS OFF AT ARE WORK...

HE HASNT GIVEN ANY IMPRESSION HE IS NOT HAPPY AT DONNY BUT HE STILL HASNT BOUGHT A HOUSE IN DONNY HE STILL LIVES IN CHADDERTON, BECAUSE HE IS ONLY ON A 1YR CONTRACT WHICH WILL DOUBLE IF THEY GO UP ALONG WITH HIS PAY PACKET BUT IF THEY DONT GO UP I RECKON HE WILL BE PLAYIN CHAMPO LEVEL WITH OR WITHOUT DONNY

Doubt he’d be happy to warm the bench behind Eardley and Ratters. I really don’t want to go back to the system of having a “playmaker” in the team who everything has to revolve around, wasn’t inconsistency or big problem last season? He’s a very good player but that’s not to say he’s very good to have in your side over the length of a season. He’s been around a fair while and played with some decent squads but never been promoted or taken to a higher level, I think there’s a reason.

AS I SPEAK TO RICHIES DAD ALMOST EVERYDAY WHEN HE DROPS PARCELS OFF AT ARE WORK...

HE HASNT GIVEN ANY IMPRESSION HE IS NOT HAPPY AT DONNY BUT HE STILL HASNT BOUGHT A HOUSE IN DONNY HE STILL LIVES IN CHADDERTON, BECAUSE HE IS ONLY ON A 1YR CONTRACT WHICH WILL DOUBLE IF THEY GO UP ALONG WITH HIS PAY PACKET BUT IF THEY DONT GO UP I RECKON HE WILL BE PLAYIN CHAMPO LEVEL WITH OR WITHOUT DONNY

1yr deal?!? With the alleged signing on fee he got?! Cant be true. Also as far as im aware he lives in Swinton.

Partly depends on the formation we're playing. Would love to see Wellens in the 'hole' in front of Allott and Eardley.

I thought he was generally cack playing behind the strikers, he needs to be deeper and controlling the match to be effective (the Lashers tended to say the same). His poor scoring ratio is a definite down side to his game, again compares rather poorly with the young Welsh chap.

1yr deal?!? With the alleged signing on fee he got?! Cant be true.

You are right, he signed a 3 year deal at Donny after leaving Latics. He certainly wouldn't have got the Signing on bonus that John Ryan paid him were it only for a year. I'm sure the add-ons about increases etc following promotion will be in his Contract though - assuming his Agent pulled his finger out when negotiating.

While I've seen him several times at Latics games, I really can't see him coming back unless Donny give him the boot. As he's their current POTY, that seems highly unlikely.

I can't see him coming back personally - nor, if i'm honest, do i really want him back. I think 2 yard dogs in midfield (we have one already in Ratman) are the way to go in this division, with 2 pacey wingers & and 2/3 strikers to provide the creativity. So, i'd be more inclined to go all out for a Livermore / Jarrett than break the bank to bring back Wellens (and that assuming he'd want to come back too!)

Doubt he’d be happy to warm the bench behind Eardley and Ratters.

Spot on - these two are actually the most exciting midfield partnership i've seen for a long time... exactly how I want us to play, hard working, do the simple things well, and if the ball falls to em on the edge of the box - smell you later...

You get out of the division by having a solid centre and flying wingers... eardly and ratters in the centre for me all the way... taylor and Davies cutting in from the wings, hughesy banging em en ip front... ad in a decent link player with hugesy and that is a bloody strong attack...

Dont get me wrong - I loved Richie, however I think the light has gone on in shez's head with how to play in thes division...

Do I hear barking anywhere???

1yr deal?!? With the alleged signing on fee he got?! Cant be true. Also as far as im aware he lives in Swinton.

yeah 1yr deal with the option of going up... if donny dont go up i bet he wont be there next season!!!!

yeah thats where his dad lives good spot

Wellens not playing tonight, I assume he's injured then.

Will he still be playing in the Ernie Cooksey game Sunday?

No and neither will Gary McAllister...both had to pull out due to the play-offs, Corney said the other night in the warm up to the fans fixture.

Yeah definately interesting he didn't feature friday night but was able to play today. Will have to see if he features in donny's next game. Stranger things have happened in football. Redknapp going back to Portsmouth for one!

I can't believe anybody wouldn't want Wellens back at BP, not that I think we have any chance of getting him back.

We really missed him so much this season, with Allott doing the water carrying and Wellens as playmaker I'm sure we would have finished higher up the league and would now be in the play-offs.

I'd have him back in a flash for next season, kilkenny is not half the player Wellens is and the chances of him filling Wellens boots at Latics were nil, as was proved.

Having a midfield full of yard dogs and water carriers leaves you void of attacking ideas when teams come to defend and need a defence splitting pass to break them down and create chances and openings.