Well Done Roughyeds

...hope they get a good draw in the QFs. They may even get on TV.

Watch us get Leeds - away...

Roughyeds would be nice. Hornets did themselves proud last year, although the wheels fell off their season after that. I was watching the Wyre game on Saturday, I thought we were going to blow it in the last 5 minutes - they all looked gassed out in the heat.

Saints were there for the taking. I thought that was a great game ... but then I went to the Stoop sunday.

A try on the hooter made the score line look lattering or Leeds. At 24-4 with 30 mins left it looked all over for Quins. Four tries in 18mins for Quins and it was Leeds on the rack (when was the last time Leeds let in four tries without replying??), in the next Quins attack the ref judged the final pass to the Quins winger Sharp was forward as he strolled over the line (I was in line with the winger and it didn 't look forward). Three minutes left Peacock woke up and scored for Leeds grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Plenty beer and sun though :lol:

No easy draws for the yeds ... can't see Grandstand choosing a tie with second division club though.

Guest oa_exile
Watch us get Leeds - away...

Roughyeds would be nice. Hornets did themselves proud last year, although the wheels fell off their season after that. I was watching the Wyre game on Saturday, I thought we were going to blow it in the last 5 minutes - they all looked gassed out in the heat.

Who are the Wyre ? :blink: I remember the Wire before they became the Wolves :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Wyre. As in the borough. That Warrington is in.

You are both correct, the Borough is Wyre (as in the river) and the team were the Wire (as in barbed).

What you talking about ??

Warrington is in Cheshire and it is a unitary authority. It has nothing to do with Wyre!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyre

Edited by oafc0000

My point was that Warrington RLFC's original knickname was WIRE , well it was when I followed League anyway :)

Wire, Wyre - it all sounds the same to me! :wink:

According to a Warrington RL fan that I met in a pub in Bristol after the 0-0 draw at Ashton Gate the Season before last, he told me they were known as "Wire" because there used to be a lot of wire making factories in the Town. He had curly hair, a beard, glasses, was drinking Real Ale and looked a bit of a geek so this kind of trivia is probably meat and drink to him. :unsure:

Maddog was there as well but I think she was getting the (non Real) ale in.

:grin:

oh dear....well that was a bit embrassing :lol:

Good on them for getting that far though.

In football there's always that 1/10 or so chance that the part-time minnows will beat the big time pros. Unfortunately, in RL it seems that the power and strength of the pros will just about always win out in the end.

That second half must have felt like days to the Oldham players. :blink:

Guest oa_exile
............He had curly hair, a beard, glasses, was drinking Real Ale and looked a bit of a geek

AKA John Beard :grin:

Guest oa_exile
Beardy ain't no geek. A hot bit of crumpet maybe but certainly no geek. :grin:

Now if Ackey got a pair of specs............ :unsure::wink:

:)

lol :grin:

Wire, Wyre - it all sounds the same to me! :wink:

According to a Warrington RL fan that I met in a pub in Bristol after the 0-0 draw at Ashton Gate the Season before last, he told me they were known as "Wire" because there used to be a lot of wire making factories in the Town. He had curly hair, a beard, glasses, was drinking Real Ale and looked a bit of a geek so this kind of trivia is probably meat and drink to him. :unsure:

Maddog was there as well but I think she was getting the (non Real) ale in.

:grin:

The real ale drinker was 100% right. Warrington used to be called Wire and still is by many people becuase the town was famous for making wire. They have never been called Wyre though....thats just silly talk :lol: