Muzza Coming Back?

Todays chron says muzza been speaking to SC about possible return

Also dismissed a rumor of a taylor for wellens swap deal as pure speculation (first ive heard of it)

opinions???

if he is anything like the player we had 4 years ago then yeah it would be a great signing. Somehow I cant see it though

Todays chron says muzza been speaking to SC about possible return

Also dismissed a rumor of a taylor for wellens swap deal as pure speculation (first ive heard of it)

opinions???

I loved him when he was here last and will always be thankful for the season when he pretty much kept us up on his own but not sure he is anything like the player he was but if he is not asking for silly money could be a useful squad player.

The Chron:

Richie Wellens, who has also been linked with a return to Boundary Park in a swap deal for Chris Taylor - something Athletic chief executive Alan Hardy has dismissed as pure speculation.

Posted Yesterday:

If Donny want Taylor badly enough then I think we should arrange a straight swap.

........I had heard nothing of such a deal, I was just saying it's something I wouldn't mind. I hadn't heard of a Taylor/Wellens swap before I thought of it yesterday.......silly Chron., not ebing able to distinguish gossip from an opinion.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

I loved him when he was here last and will always be thankful for the season when he pretty much kept us up on his own but not sure he is anything like the player he was but if he is not asking for silly money could be a useful squad player.

Am not always for this bringing back old players but suppose i better keep my mouth shut this time after Allott well and truly shoved my words back down my throat! If am honest though i'd like Muzza back and think he could become a valuable squad player if not asking for daft money.

I'm not sure about this, I can't believe he is still the same player that left us, due to it not working out for him at Carlisle and now being at Gretna, he just can't be the same player.

On the plus side I doubt he would be asking for silly money as it's highly unlikely that he is on silly money at Gretna.

I'm not sure about this, I can't believe he is still the same player that left us, due to it not working out for him at Carlisle and now being at Gretna, he just can't be the same player.

On the plus side I doubt he would be asking for silly money as it's highly unlikely that he is on silly money at Gretna.

... and here we go again....

Same Topic - Last week..

For the record - I still think he would be a damn good signing as a squad player...

Is he fit enough to last a 50 games season at this level? With all our injury problems last season I don't want us signing a crock.

This would be my only concern. How many games did he play for Gretna last season?

What you would get with someone like Muzza is consistancy. The only thing about him now is has he still got what it takes to unlock a game? I think he'd certainly be an able enough replacement for Gary Mac, he'll possibly score more goals.

Wages would be fairly affordable I'd have thought as well so why not take a punt?

This would be my only concern. How many games did he play for Gretna last season?

What you would get with someone like Muzza is consistancy. The only thing about him now is has he still got what it takes to unlock a game? I think he'd certainly be an able enough replacement for Gary Mac, he'll possibly score more goals.

Wages would be fairly affordable I'd have thought as well so why not take a punt?

Looks like he played thirty one games, scoring one goal.

why not give him a run out in a few of the pre season friendlies and then decide? I know they're not always carried out to the highest standard but it wont do any harm.

If Muzza was Macca's replacement within the squad then fair enough, bit i'd hope our sights were set a little higher. Ok Muzza is a cult hero to some and he did pretty much sigle handedly keep us ticking over in midfield from Feb-May 2004 and played a massive part in us staying up. BUT that was his best spell for the club and coincided with him being in the shop window. He wasn't without injury problems here either. 90 odd games in his time here suggests he missed more than half a seasons worth of games. It'd be a gamble but one i'd take but only as Macca's replacement. Keep looking for the ball player I say as Muzza is more yer box to box man and he can play wide right if needed.

As long as we are not breaking the bank this has got to be a great move for us. We know he has a bit of quality so at the very least he is a good addition to the squad. If he stays clear of injuries he could well be a regular first teamer capable of unlocking defences - something we never had all last season - even with Kilkenny.

Cant believe people are saying Allott and Eardley are the answer in the middle - bit of a chance to take after a couple of games IMO

Finding a player in Murray's mould is not easy at this level - so i really think signing Muzza is a no-brainer.

And as to re-signing Wellens.......... hahaha....... in our dreams, if we did we would walk the league next season if coupled with a left winger.

As long as we are not breaking the bank this has got to be a great move for us. We know he has a bit of quality so at the very least he is a good addition to the squad. If he stays clear of injuries he could well be a regular first teamer capable of unlocking defences - something we never had all last season - even with Kilkenny.

Cant believe people are saying Allott and Eardley are the answer in the middle - bit of a chance to take after a couple of games IMO

Finding a player in Murray's mould is not easy at this level - so i really think signing Muzza is a no-brainer.

And as to re-signing Wellens.......... hahaha....... in our dreams, if we did we would walk the league next season if coupled with a left winger.

if he was anything like he was when he left us then fair enough.....but just because allotts return has worked out well,doesnt automatically suggest that a muzza return would.

eardly has done well in his new role,and if he is still here come pre season i would be tempted to play him there in the friendlys,and see how he does.nobody knows if it will work out,but against crewe it onviously did,and he didnt look out of place,and has a cracking shot on him.

1600 players out of contract up and down the league...you honestly telling me there is no one better than a battered and bruised paul murray.

if he was anything like he was when he left us then fair enough.....but just because allotts return has worked out well,doesnt automatically suggest that a muzza return would.

eardly has done well in his new role,and if he is still here come pre season i would be tempted to play him there in the friendlys,and see how he does.nobody knows if it will work out,but against crewe it onviously did,and he didnt look out of place,and has a cracking shot on him.

1600 players out of contract up and down the league...you honestly telling me there is no one better than a battered and bruised paul murray.

Yep absolutely agree - Eardley might be the answer, but huge risk to assume that a player can change into a central midfielder from full back on the back of a couple of performances. even if he is the answer, who is back up to these two? Lets not forget Muzza gives the extra option of being able to play on the right too - versatility is gold dust at our level - this really does just make good sense as far as im concerned.

Yes i honestly believe that out of the 1600, when you whittle these down to creative central midfielders, then down to players that would be prepared to play in league one, then the players who live in, or want to move to, or commute to the north west, then the players with experience (which we obviously need), then the players whose wage demands we could meet, then we are left with a number of players that i could count on one hand.

If he is 80% the player that he was first time round - i'd sign him tomorrow