Rangers Should Be Banned

From the euro cup forever after the violence last night. Just seen the coverage on the news and it disgusted me.

Yeah. That Riot cop getting engulfed by thugs, remensicent of an old Romera zombie film was pretty sickening.

Christ, all over a broken down TV as well. Get a fecking grip.

I reckon manchester asked for this. advertising in scotland they were going to put three giant screens in the city centre and allowing them to drink on the streets from tuesday morning, all ingredients for what happened.

Look at it this way, if latics got to the play off finals, and they were at wembley, but we couldnt all get tickets, imagine if big screens go up in oldham for us to watch it. there we are, drinking on the street 48 hours before kick off, enjoying a carnival atmosphere, and literally just before kick off, the screen goes down. by this time we are all very intoxicated, and looking forward to the biggest moment in our clubs recent history. Imagine how frustrated we would be. together with the alcohol consumption, it would only take half a dozen bad eggs to kick off, and the crowd which has dominated the area would revel in a full blown riot.

in all honesty, you cant blame rangers. a few mindless numpties maybe, but the true blame rests with Manchester.

2 Leeds fans stabbed to death in Turkey and no ban ? 42 people (well scumbags) out of 150,000 plus arrested. I was there all day had a brilliant time met some great fans from Rangers and Zenit, it wouldn`t be fair on the majority of decent fans who follow Rangers.

I reckon manchester asked for this. advertising in scotland they were going to put three giant screens in the city centre and allowing them to drink on the streets from tuesday morning, all ingredients for what happened.

Look at it this way, if latics got to the play off finals, and they were at wembley, but we couldnt all get tickets, imagine if big screens go up in oldham for us to watch it. there we are, drinking on the street 48 hours before kick off, enjoying a carnival atmosphere, and literally just before kick off, the screen goes down. by this time we are all very intoxicated, and looking forward to the biggest moment in our clubs recent history. Imagine how frustrated we would be. together with the alcohol consumption, it would only take half a dozen bad eggs to kick off, and the crowd which has dominated the area would revel in a full blown riot.

in all honesty, you cant blame rangers. a few mindless numpties maybe, but the true blame rests with Manchester.

Sorry Phil, but you're wrong.

Manchester was going to be invaded by 100,000 Rangers fans (and a good few hundred ned scum) whatever they did. GMP simply don't have the manpower to enforce a drinking ban on the streets when faced with that number. Rather than put their heads in the sand in the face of impending mayhem, they decided to do the best they could in a short space of time to accommodate as many fans as possible. They even had contingency plans in place - which worked as well as they were ever likely to - for the very thing that happened ... a dead screen.

And anyone who honestly thinks spending the day getting hammered and then joining in a riot and attacking the police is acceptable deserves the punishment they'll get from batons and police dogs.

My mate who is the car parks manager for Manchester rang up the supporters club to ask how many supporters they were expecting to come down. Their supporters club said about 100,000. Manchester wasn't going to do anything and the advice was not to come down if you don't have a ticket. That changed when they worked out the reality of the situation.

The fact is there are "fans" of any football club that would have reacted in the same manner given the same situation and I have known football fans and drunks in general to react for a lot less. I saw one drunken 18 year old bloke chuck a bottle at a window and around 50 rangers fans had a right go at him. The majority of them were good and decent people.

I was in Manchester and saw first hand the mindless violence by some thugs (refuse to call them fans). Yet I spoke to large numbers of real football fans before and after the game, great people who were just as disgusted at those that tore Manchester up and attacked the police as much as the rest of us!

I was in Manchester and saw first hand the mindless violence by some thugs (refuse to call them fans). Yet I spoke to large numbers of real football fans before and after the game, great people who were just as disgusted at those that tore Manchester up and attacked the police as much as the rest of us!

I got to speak to a few Rangers fans and actually some Leningrad fans who had been hit with Batons. They seemed ok people and I expect through naivety they stayed near the trouble. I pointed this out to my brother (who is not into football) that if theres ever even a hint of trouble, you have to get away from it as soon as possible as its normal police tactics that once force is going to be used they use it tactively on anyone who happens to be there.

Fair play to the riot police bloke who gave me a straight answer for how to get home with all the roads cordened off. I asked another copper sat in his van who just gave me a smug sarcastic response and tried to send me to the other side of Manchester and said that I was going the wrong way anyway. Saying that he was probably younger than me anyway so should expect that.

The way Rangers are going on disgusts me - "it's not our fans, they were infiltrators", hints that the trouble was all down to English hooligans, "there was only 200 out of 100,000" - all utter toss. That mob on the CCTV running down the street after those 7 coppers - there are at least 200 in that. Are we honestly supposed to believe that that was the whole extent of the problem? Bull. There were probably a couple of thousand people causing trouble. Not such a small amount really.

As for the English angle - yes I've no doubt that there were probably a few Chelsea knobs in amongst them but this 'nothing to do with us' crap from Rangers turns my stomach. Let's see the list of people who are charged - let's see where they're from.

It's a shame for law abiding Rangers fans but they have a large minority of dicks following them as I'm sure they're all aware - 75,000 law abiding folk, 25,000 boorish drunken d'heads and 2000 violent scum. Those figures might be all pie in the sky but they're more on the mark than the cack Rangers are peddling.

The way Rangers are going on disgusts me - "it's not our fans, they were infiltrators", hints that the trouble was all down to English hooligans, "there was only 200 out of 100,000" - all utter toss. That mob on the CCTV running down the street after those 7 coppers - there are at least 200 in that. Are we honestly supposed to believe that that was the whole extent of the problem? Bull. There were probably a couple of thousand people causing trouble. Not such a small amount really.

As for the English angle - yes I've no doubt that there were probably a few Chelsea knobs in amongst them but this 'nothing to do with us' crap from Rangers turns my stomach. Let's see the list of people who are charged - let's see where they're from.

It's a shame for law abiding Rangers fans but they have a large minority of dicks following them as I'm sure they're all aware - 75,000 law abiding folk, 25,000 boorish drunken d'heads and 2000 violent scum. Those figures might be all pie in the sky but they're more on the mark than the cack Rangers are peddling.

They might do well to ask themselves what it is about their their club and it’s core support that attracts the likes of Chelsea and Millwall to join them. They are starting to sound like the Scousers now, it’s everyone else’s fauly but their own, it’s the police, the council, infiltrators, blah blah blah. Still it’s a win win situation for me. Not only has the rioting made them replay footage of huns sobbing inside the ground, but also accompanied it with plenty of footage of them being mercilessly bludgeoned by riot police. There’s precious few things I’m glad to see my taxes spent on, but that is one of them :)

They might do well to ask themselves what it is about their their club and it’s core support that attracts the likes of Chelsea and Millwall to join them. They are starting to sound like the Scousers now, it’s everyone else’s fauly but their own, it’s the police, the council, infiltrators, blah blah blah. Still it’s a win win situation for me. Not only has the rioting made them replay footage of huns sobbing inside the ground, but also accompanied it with plenty of footage of them being mercilessly bludgeoned by riot police. There’s precious few things I’m glad to see my taxes spent on, but that is one of them :)

I certainly don't feel the need to defend the Jocks but I do suspect that this is getting blown out of all proportion.

I was drinking around Exchange Square before the match and watched the game at Albert Square and I saw no 'trouble'. Don't get me wrong, I saw thousands of people who were hammered to an extreme that I have never seen in my life, but I did not see any violence.

What we've all seen on TV and the internet are a small number of incidents which have been repeated and repeated. This makes it seem like much more happened than actually did.

There is no defence for people who committed criminal damage or assault of any time but you are probably looking at a thousand people at the most out of a couple of hundred thousand. Whether these were Rangers fans from Glasgow, people from England with an afinity to Rangers or people who had no interest in the game and were only there to cause trouble, is irrelevant.

I think the way that drinking was handled by the authorities on the day was very poor. The supermarkets and off-licences should have been told in no uncertain terms that they were not to sell alcohol and that should have been passed as an emergency by-law.

I have no problems with allowing outdoor drinking as the pubs in Manchester are just not big enough to cope if people had to stay inside. If everybody had been forced to purchase their booze from the pubs, though, that would have seriously slowed down the consumption. I accept that a large number probably brought their own beer but that couldn't be helped.

The one thing that I really can't believe is that fans were allowed to take their own alcohol into the 'supposedly controlled' fanzones. Why on earth was that decision taken?

IMO manchester didnt ask for this... the screen broke technical problem fair enough - if the rangers fans had have behaved whilst engineers were fixing the problem it would have been back on in time for the majority of the match... Bottles were hurled at them and the engineers thought ###### this (which i cant blame them) After watching the news the police being heavy handed was more than justified....

Its just a shame it turned out like this as the majority of rangers fans were well behaved..

IF it was an English team they would be banned simple as. A crying shame for the thousands of decent Rangers fans BUT blown out of proportion? Someones having a laugh. It was mob violence, cars wrecked 1 is too many. Absolutely pathetic response booze fuelled excuse to cause trouble.

No defence possible in my opinion.

Badly managed certainly but not acceptable.

Indeed. I saw Oldham v Huddersfield trouble. Ban them both from the FA Cup NOW.

A lot of this 'oh it wasn't our fault' or 'it was just a small minority' or 'Manchester wasn't prepared' stuff is nonsense. When you have 100,000 people (some might say that's a conservative estimate) descend on one small place (the area of Manchester they were in isn't exactly huge) combine that with alcohol being drunk in excessive quantities you are always going to have trouble as the fans know full well it isn't them paying for the clean up operation. A small minority, say 1% for arguments sake, of 100,000 is still 1,000 people all drunk and out for causing trouble. When England have played in Manchester in the past there wasn't this sort of problem and i'm sure some of the fans without tickets were just as drunk as those Glaswegians (if they were indeed from Glasgow). Apparently all the trains south from Scotland on Wednesday were being searched and no booze was allowed. This wouldn't have been too hard to do in town after a certain time on Wednesday but someone (presumably Mr Sainsbury and Mr Tesco) persuaded the coppers from making that decision and the local shops selling booze at 7.30 in the morning wasn't the smartest idea anyway. A lot of office staff went home early on Wednesday because of the situation (and bear in mind this is at lunchtime which was 5-6 hours before the game was due to start), I know my Mum sent all her staff home about 2.30 pm on Wednesday due to the sheer numbers of drunk Scots and her office is round the corner from Picadilly Gardens, how much did all those half days cost the economy of Manchester.

Its quite simple really if you didn't have a ticket why were there so many Rangers fans in Manchester after all watching it on TV is the same whereever the TV happens to be and I'm sure they all have alcohol in their local pubs and homes. As for Manchester itself being unprepared why were loads of people locked out of Ibrox on Wednesday if you were prepared yourself. I can understand some people from Galsgow travelling without a ticket as due to silly prawn sandwich UEFA you always find neutrals making a quick buck on their often freebie ticket but not 100,000. Glasgow should have hosted a party not Manchester for all those fans without tickets and I hope Manchester city council sends Rangers a bill for their share of the costs.

Even if it was fans of other teams disguised as Rangers fans causing the trouble why did you associate your-selves with those angelic fans of teams like Millwall, Chelsea and Stoke you associate yourselves with those that cause trouble its your own fault if they cause trouble in your name.

Having said that, it wouldn't have been too hard to close Picadilly Gardens (and the other areas) to obvious football fans earlier when there were less people in them. (When i say close I mean close no booze- not even if it was in milk bottles which judging by the amount of milk that was apparently availible on Wednesday that was what was happening). Any excess Rangers fans should have then been directed to an area easily controlled such as Heaton Park or even the Velodrome (which i think they were trying to get the fans to go to when the screen broke but some of them were too drunk to follow instructions). Or even use the big 70,000+ capacity stadium called Old Trafford (after all if that gets smashed up Man U will know where to send the bill)

Oh and in case your wondering unlike some of the posters on here who are anti-Rangers because they are Celtic 'fans' I actually would choose Rangers over Celtic if I had too. Its just a pity that a not very good football match is still in the news because of the actions of those fans a good mile away from where the game kicked off.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to drag this up again but just read this article, scroll down to have your say bit, a very well balanced review of the whole Manchester fiasco for all the Rangers hating /Celtic lovers amongst us http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3941512.ece

Bit of a long read but well put.

I had a great day in Albert Square...really friendly, top atmosphere...the likes of which I have never seen before and will never see again. Was really surprised to see the images from Piccadilly Gardens the next morning.

Follow, follow