What are you listening to at this moment?

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I can say without any doubt whatsoever that J's list will be completely different to mine.

Ha! But both totally great in their own way.

11 hours ago, Ackey said:

Probably thinking of @Matt and @Frankly Mr Shankly when I ask this... Anyone you have seen on the Glastonbury lineup this year that you'd suggest, that I may otherwise have missed?  

Thundercat and Sparks on the Park Stage would be musts for me. Also love Weyes Blood, Billy Nomates and Gwenno who are on there.

On the West Holts stage I adore Gabriels (singer's got an amazing soul voice) and Black Country, New Road are my picks.

Not sure if these will be on the Pyramid, Other Stage or whereever but Lizzo, Slowdive, The Big Moon, Phoenix and Loyle Carner would be high up my list.

Enjoy mate! Report back on who you got to see.

• Like 2

Cheers lads - knew you'd be good for some solid advice. Will get listening to some of those I don't recognise, to help make decisions on the day.

You'll perhaps not be surprised to know I had a fair few of those on my list - I'm very excited about seeing The Big Moon and Gabriels from your list J. From your's Matt I'm fairly sure Hot Chip clashes with Elton, which is a shame. But Say She She are belting, will be giving them a go! 

Along those lines I am really hoping Joseph show up on the full list when that comes out next(ish) week - they are absolutely brilliant! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ackey said:

They've just announced Badly Drawn Boy on the Acoustic stage... now we're cooking! Who needs all this modern crap? Some scally in a bobble hat will do for me! :D 

*looks at my pick of Candi Staton*

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 10:18 AM, Ackey said:

Probably thinking of @Matt and @Frankly Mr Shankly when I ask this... Anyone you have seen on the Glastonbury lineup this year that you'd suggest, that I may otherwise have missed?  

If I were going, I’d make a point of seeing The War on Drugs, Phoenix, Loyle Carner and Alt-J (although looks like they clash with Phoenix). I quite like Japanese Breakfast too. I saw The Hives live over twenty years ago and they were ace and the Bootleg Beatles were fun too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

If I were going, I’d make a point of seeing The War on Drugs, Phoenix, Loyle Carner and Alt-J (although looks like they clash with Phoenix). I quite like Japanese Breakfast too. I saw The Hives live over twenty years ago and they were ace and the Bootleg Beatles were fun too. 

Didn’t notice Billy Nomates in the line-up - I’d definitely be checking her out too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 11:42 AM, Ackey said:

Cheers lads - knew you'd be good for some solid advice. Will get listening to some of those I don't recognise, to help make decisions on the day.

You'll perhaps not be surprised to know I had a fair few of those on my list - I'm very excited about seeing The Big Moon and Gabriels from your list J. From your's Matt I'm fairly sure Hot Chip clashes with Elton, which is a shame. But Say She She are belting, will be giving them a go! 

Along those lines I am really hoping Joseph show up on the full list when that comes out next(ish) week - they are absolutely brilliant! 

Who did you end up watching mate? I tucked into a bit of the footage (BBC Player's been fantastic) and although I knew Elton would be a pull, he was outstanding. The Rick Astley / Blossom's Smiths Karaoke looked a riot and Fatboy Slim smashed it (can see why he's guaranteed a set every year). I'm no fan of his music but couldn't help feeling for Lewis Capaldi when his voice gave way. The crowd pulling him through it was a nice moment.

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Who did you end up watching mate?

Will drop a couple of early caveats... it was hot as fucking hell. Impossible to dash from A-to-B because you were too busy sweating to death. Hit the Mrs really hard and she's not as music-obsessive as me, so certainly took things a little slower than originally planned. I am not complaining mind you, had a fucking great time and very much believe in the "you do your own Glastonbury" mantra.

That said, here's my list as best I can remember it:

Friday

• The Hives
  • Craig Charles
  • Unknown Mortal Orchestra
  • Chvrches
  • Fred Again..
  • FourTet
  • Floating Points B2B Daphni
  • Sherelle

Saturday

• Cable Street Collective
  • Roo Panes
  • The Magic Numbers
  • The Sharon Shannon Trio
  • Badly Drawn Boy
  • Lizzo
  • Fatboy Slim
  • Analog Soul
  • Ben UFO
  • Baronhawk Poitier (tiny bit)
  • Scalping

Sunday

• Cassetteboy vs DJ Rubbish
  • The Big Moon
  • Cat Burns
  • Porij
  • Blondie
  • Editors
  • Elton John
  • Hybrid Minds ft Tempaz
  • Wilkinson

I will do a more comprehensive breakdown of anyone you're interested in - I won't bore you with doing a play by play :D 

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

...Fatboy Slim smashed it (can see why he's guaranteed a set every year).

Absolutely he did. The fella crowdsurfing a blow up bed was hilarious, too. He's basically on a mission to play every single stage at Glastonbury. He did three or four sets this year, the Park one being the only one on a stage big enough for the Beeb to cover. Apparently his set at the Greenpeace tree was amazing. I skipped that as it's in a pinch-point and gets mental busy when over-crowded. Plus I'd literally watched him at Park, so have to pick your battles and see other things. 

Anyway - sixth year, still love it. Still need to put more shade up. Still need to control the flows better at the big stages (Elton was scary at times, especially being a football fan and knowing what the worst can bring). But I'd never rather be anywhere else. 

• Like 2

To add - that run from Roo Panes to Badly Drawn Boy on the Saturday was basically just me wanting to see him at about 16:00 and so staying at the Acoustic stage for three hours as it was out of the sun. A fine example of sometimes you have to take what you get in that heat, rather than running to and fro, from things I actually would have liked to see more.

Also FYI @Matt, so you see it too :) 

3 hours ago, Ackey said:

Will drop a couple of early caveats... it was hot as fucking hell. Impossible to dash from A-to-B because you were too busy sweating to death. Hit the Mrs really hard and she's not as music-obsessive as me, so certainly took things a little slower than originally planned. I am not complaining mind you, had a fucking great time and very much believe in the "you do your own Glastonbury" mantra.

Friday

• The Hives
  • Craig Charles
  • Chvrches
  • Fred Again..
  • FourTet
  • Sherelle

Saturday

• Roo Panes
  • The Magic Numbers
  • Badly Drawn Boy
  • Lizzo
  • Fatboy Slim
  • Analog Soul
  • Ben UFO
  • Scalping

Sunday

• The Big Moon
  • Cat Burns
  • Porij
  • Blondie
  • Editors
  • Elton John
  • Hybrid Minds ft Tempaz
  • Wilkinson

I will do a more comprehensive breakdown of anyone you're interested in - I won't bore you with doing a play by play :D 

Absolutely he did. The fella crowdsurfing a blow up bed was hilarious, too. He's basically on a mission to play every single stage at Glastonbury. He did three or four sets this year, the Park one being the only one on a stage big enough for the Beeb to cover. Apparently his set at the Greenpeace tree was amazing. I skipped that as it's in a pinch-point and gets mental busy when over-crowded. Plus I'd literally watched him at Park, so have to pick your battles and see other things. 

Anyway - sixth year, still love it. Still need to put more shade up. Still need to control the flows better at the big stages (Elton was scary at times, especially being a football fan and knowing what the worst can bring). But I'd never rather be anywhere else. 

Blimey! I went to an All Tomorrow’s Parties once and saw one band (Mogwai). Spent the rest of it in a chalet partying! 😂

On 6/30/2023 at 1:33 PM, Ackey said:

Friday

• The Hives
  • Craig Charles
  • Chvrches
  • Fred Again..
  • FourTet
  • Sherelle

Saturday

• Roo Panes
  • The Magic Numbers
  • Badly Drawn Boy
  • Lizzo
  • Fatboy Slim
  • Analog Soul
  • Ben UFO
  • Scalping

Sunday

• The Big Moon
  • Cat Burns
  • Porij
  • Blondie
  • Editors
  • Elton John
  • Hybrid Minds ft Tempaz
  • Wilkinson

Nice, was also my sixth one, really blown me away again this year, feeling really grateful for it all.

The bed crowdsurfer was one Woody Cook, Fatboy Jr, haha!

@Matt the Four Tet set was on the imposing iicon stage, and by all accounts he played a suitably brain melting DJ set, including a My Bloody Valentine track.

Fingers crossed for next year..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuCUjyuqfm9/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by Simpo
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Simpo said:

@Matt the Four Tet set was on the imposing iicon stage, and by all accounts he played a suitably brain melting DJ set, including a My Bloody Valentine track.

It was a good set! Much better than when I saw him at Ally Pally recently, for his immersive light-show thing - that was far too much plinky plonky self congratulatory nonsense, for me. 

On 6/30/2023 at 4:46 PM, Matt said:

Did FourTet/Kieran Hebden do a DJ set or was it his own stuff?

I thought it was supposed to be his set.  But it felt like a DJ set to be honest. Let's be fair, by then I was absolutely cunted so I've no clue! 

On 6/30/2023 at 5:31 PM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Blimey! I went to an All Tomorrow’s Parties once and saw one band (Mogwai). Spent the rest of it in a chalet partying! 😂

Mogwai were my first post-covid show a couple of years ago. I can still hear the ringing in my ears :D 

But yeah, if your idea of fun is a show and then partying in the beer tent - do that! It's a mantra that of course applies to all festivals, but given the shear size and diversity especially so Glastonbury - which is you do you! Some people will run from set to set, some will pick out key acts, some will camp at Pyramid for their spot, some start at 9am, some don't get out until late-afternoon. If you're having fun and not being a dick to anyone else - you're golden! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...