Demar Phillips

Latics line up Jamaican

LOCAL SPORT

ATHLETIC are lining up Jamaican international Demar Phillips for a long-term loan deal.

The left-sided player has arrived at Boundary Park on two weeks’ trial with a view to joining for the whole of next season.

Phillips (24) is available from Premier League club Stoke City, for whom he signed last year after leaving Waterhouse in Jamaica.

He cost the Potters a “significant” fee but is expected to figure in Athletic’s friendly games away to Grimsby and at home to Derby.

Athletic boss John Sheridan said: “He has played about 30 times for Jamaica and also in the first team at Stoke, so we’ll have a good look at him.

“He’s quick and I’ve been looking for left-sided players, so hopefully he will do well.”

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like decent credentials and I doubt Shez will take him if he doesn't look the part in the friendlies. Remember Alan Wright? He could 'have done' but he wasn't deemed good enough and we started the season without a LB.

On the other hand, remember Maheta Malongo...

What a celebration for the goal he scored though!! Anyone got a picture of his expression when he scored?? Priceless...

I think he was as gobsmacked that he's scored as the rest of us. He did his best to miss it.

Could we be signing the new JJ

JJ was sh*te, cant see anywhere on this description, or trawling the net that says this guy is sh*te. So lets not tar him with that brush just yet.

If it said "Demar Phillips, Jamiacan, 24, Left winger... oh and he is sh*te" THEN we could be signing the next JJ.

With his credentials he should do fine at our level... should be an interesting day at grimsby then!

JJ was sh*te, cant see anywhere on this description, or trawling the net that says this guy is sh*te. So lets not tar him with that brush just yet.

If it said "Demar Phillips, Jamiacan, 24, Left winger... oh and he is sh*te" THEN we could be signing the next JJ.

With his credentials he should do fine at our level... should be an interesting day at grimsby then!

With all due respect Bigfin, if you trawled the net for a description of JJ then I don't think it would return a "He's basically :censored:e" descriptive. We know he's :censored:e because we've seen him play for us, and of course because of the Chesterfield debacle too.

No-one's seen this fella in action yet, so things like "should do fine at our level" and "draft him in, he'll do" are complete folly. Just because he's left sided and "a bit fast" isn't nowhere near enough for me to make a judgement on. When he's skinning the right back from Millwall for the nth time, then perhaps we have something to get all piddly-in-our-pants about.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

With all due respect Bigfin, if you trawled the net for a description of JJ then I don't think it would return a "He's basically :censored:e" descriptive. We know he's :censored:e because we've seen him play for us, and of course because of the Chesterfield debacle too.

No-one's seen this fella in action yet, so things like "should do fine at our level" and "draft him in, he'll do" are complete folly. Just because he's left sided and "a bit fast" isn't nowhere near enough for me to make a judgement on. When he's skinning the right back from Millwall for the nth time, then perhaps we have something to get all piddly-in-our-pants about.

:blink:

:whoosh:

Bad day at the office frankly?

Next time I put a very tongue in cheek post on here about JJ I will make sure it is factually correct!

... oh and re-read my post and look at the use of th operative word should

One thing I dont get when people slag JJ off, is If he wasnt "sh*te", we'd of never of been able to sign him in the first place.

People saw his pace and that he could create problems for all defences in this league and expected him to be the finished article scoring left, right and centre. He was playing for us in League 1, not the Prem. JJ always came under the rather he be in our side than against it 'cat.' for me.

We've had some "basically :censored:e" players. JJ at least had something about him at this level.

Sat next to Stoke fan at work, who's mate watches their reserves quite a bit. Very impressed with him and can't understand why he hasn't figured for first team more than he has done. Said he's very quick and was exactly what they lacked when they were struggling (if finishing second and end up in the Premier League can be classed as struggling!).

One thing I dont get when people slag JJ off, is If he wasnt "sh*te", we'd of never of been able to sign him in the first place.

People saw his pace and that he could create problems for all defences in this league and expected him to be the finished article scoring left, right and centre. He was playing for us in League 1, not the Prem. JJ always came under the rather he be in our side than against it 'cat.' for me.

We've had some "basically :censored:e" players. JJ at least had something about him at this level.

Lets not go down the JJ line again, this is about this new guy...

however :wink: I absolutley hated JJ, and i woudl love to play against a team full of him, every week... someone like Mark Allott would rip him to shreds, as he would out think him and then JJ would be in a sulk - he is an absolutle liability, and IMO is up there with the Cleggs and Forbes of this world in the worst players ever to wear the shirt... the sh*test of the sh*te.

... and back on topic... :wink:

johnson, same player thats been playing in a higher division for 2 years?

with rumours of large bids being turned down by sheff wed?

dont think his talent should be questioned, his motivation at latics maybe.

but he is certainly not :censored:e , he was lazy and greedy amongst over things

:blink:

:whoosh:

Bad day at the office frankly?

Next time I put a very tongue in cheek post on here about JJ I will make sure it is factually correct!

... oh and re-read my post and look at the use of th operative word should

Not really Bigfin. My point was more about the fact that we have a lad in on trial and everyone thinks he's our left wing messiah already. I wasn't getting shirty about it by any means. I'm just not pissing my kecks with excitement until I've seen him make a complete monkey out of Millwall's right back.

JJ was far from :censored:e.

Aye we've had far far worse than Johnson. Johnson could run for a start which makes him better than 90% of the :censored:e we've had to witness play in blue in the past decade.

Attitude was all wrong, but he was a talented player.. see goals at Sheff Weds and Doncaster away!

does anybody think if this Phillips guy is any good we might see Chris Taylor start the season at left back... i much prefer taylor on the right wing but sheridan has played him at left back b4.

God, I truly hope not. Taylor shouldn't be allowed anywhere near that left back position, in fact, some (mentioning no names) would not like him anywhere near the first team.

God, I truly hope not. Taylor shouldn't be allowed anywhere near that left back position, in fact, some (mentioning no names) would not like him anywhere near the first team.

Why? Always looked decent when he has filled in there in the past...?

Would prefer to see him on the right wing if we get a decent winger, however he aint a bad full back...

Edited by BigfinLatic