Ernie's funeral

What a fitting occasion for such a great bloke. Many tears, but equally as many smiles.

Ernie's coffin arrived in the courtyard of a sun filled East london Church were some 400 people had gathered to pay their respects to a great bloke. Thirty minutes before the procession arrived a lone female singer sang from the front steps of the church.

Three extra hearse’s where included the procession to carry the all floral tributes that had been sent to his family. The flowers on the back of the one carrying Ernie, simply say ‘our Ern’.

Many of the Oldham team Ernie played in where there, Killen, Will, One size, Andrews, Bosh, Eyre, Eysie, Hughes and many more. AH, Stam and Shez from the current set up.

His coffin was carried in by a dozen of his mates, on top was a single red rose and his old Latics shirt with 16 Cooksey on it.

Part of the service was video highlights of Ernies footballing career ... unfortunately I could see the screen but you know that his smile on the clips was just spreading across the whole of the church.... any everyone below was laughing and smiling, one the clips finished the Church was asked to applaud the career of Ernie, its seemed to go on forever.

I’ll will scan the service this evening and post for those of you who want to read it

I'd say there about 15-20 Latics fans there, hard to sbe exact as some were in formal dress and some in colours (or Ernie for England shirts in the case of Titch and co.). Was an excellent turn out from players as well, although I've gone a bit blank just now. Eyresey was definitely one to add to the list. Have to say, I. Dowie was absolutely in pieces throughout, as was Bosh. Of course it was more about his friends and family but his football career was obviously central to that and Oldham was at the heart of it.

Thanks for the post its been on my mind all day, and to all those that made the journey respect to you too.

I just read that if Grays win their league this year the manager is giving ernies charity/family £50,000.

Come on grays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articl...s_feature.shtml

Edited by KYLEOAFC

[Thanks Mark. Appreciate what you have done to give us an insight into Ernie's funeral.

Me too mark. It's the second very moving thing I've read tonight. It does him justice.

Goodnight Ernie and thanks for everything

Thank you Terry ... a brilliant account ... much appreciated by those who couldnt attend.

just read that article myself before i head of to work....

the pictures really hit home... thanks for making the effort to attend and to show us fans that couldn't attend how the day went... (that doesn't sound right! but i'm sure you know what i mean!!)

roll on the 12th... that'll be my time to show my feelings....

Quite a few of the family and friends thanked us for showing our faces, so if it helped in some tiny way then it’s all good. I should say that was just a leisurely 40 minute journey for me so no effort at all but full respect goes to those who travelled long distances at early o’clock.

Guest gillianfn

Amidst the tears, me and my daughter actually laughed when Bob Dowie told of the tale of Ernie getting on at Oldham - "yeh Bob, Yeh Bob" - we could hear Ernie's little voice in our heads.

When we did the game for him up here, we met up with him for a drink the night before and he sat chatting to my son about his career, football in general - he was just effervescent, even then, going through his treatments. God bless him, I hope his mum was waiting for him.

Amidst the tears, me and my daughter actually laughed when Bob Dowie told of the tale of Ernie getting on at Oldham - "yeh Bob, Yeh Bob" - we could hear Ernie's little voice in our heads.

When we did the game for him up here, we met up with him for a drink the night before and he sat chatting to my son about his career, football in general - he was just effervescent, even then, going through his treatments. God bless him, I hope his mum was waiting for him.

A sad day, but plenty of laughs through-out.....to the end he made people smile and I'm sure he always will

What a fitting occasion for such a great bloke. Many tears, but equally as many smiles.

Ernie's coffin arrived in the courtyard of a sun filled East london Church were some 400 people had gathered to pay their respects to a great bloke. Thirty minutes before the procession arrived a lone female singer sang from the front steps of the church.

Three extra hearse’s where included the procession to carry the all floral tributes that had been sent to his family. The flowers on the back of the one carrying Ernie, simply say ‘our Ern’.

Many of the Oldham team Ernie played in where there, Killen, Will, One size, Andrews, Bosh, Eyre, Eysie, Hughes and many more. AH, Stam and Shez from the current set up.

His coffin was carried in by a dozen of his mates, on top was a single red rose and his old Latics shirt with 16 Cooksey on it.

Part of the service was video highlights of Ernies footballing career ... unfortunately I could see the screen but you know that his smile on the clips was just spreading across the whole of the church.... any everyone below was laughing and smiling, one the clips finished the Church was asked to applaud the career of Ernie, its seemed to go on forever.

I’ll will scan the service this evening and post for those of you who want to read it

Mark - great tribute - much appreciated

Mark - great tribute - much appreciated

evening all

i have returned from london today after ernie's funeral and just thought i would add my thanks and gratitude to all who attended on monday. really good to see so many faces there on what was a difficult place to reach on a monday morning.

the service was so emotional and touching, but so fitting for our ern.

spent a couple of hours with louise the night before, reminiscing and looking through pics etc, and i felt so proud to have been his friend.

ernies dad, john, was so suprised to see so many former players and fans from oldham present, i think it gave the family such strength, and he really wanted all the fans at the wake afterwards but unfortunately everyone had left.

spent a few hours and a downed a few shandys with ernie's close mates, mostly millwall fans. top lads and looking forward to seeing them on the opening day.

really nice to see the flags present, and reading the account of the funeral on erniesflag.co.uk was really very emotional and accurate.

thanks once again to everyone, the family are really looking forward to coming up for the rochdale game .

cheers

martin