Phillips - Wages or Loan Fee

Whats holding the Phillips deal up as stoke forum oatcake seem to thinks its the 100k loan fee for the season..

That would do it. As would his wages.

Simple thing is, we offered to play their player, probably paying a percentage of his wages. Just take it or leave it. He's no use to them in their reserves as he'll be on the verge of losing his Work Permit anyway.

Leave the option whilst starting to look elsewhere would be my advice.

TTA after gaining years experience of football and football clubs since owning one are, like Corney says being cute in the transfer market. As a club and owners we have suffered from the tribunal system having to pay higher transfer fee's than our own valuations, paying out dead money to have loan players and losing out to cut and runners like Porter. This season we've built a more in-depth squad than ever before and all within or more or less with in a given budget. Phillips whilst a decent prospect is not worth breaking the good strategy.

I still think with this being the 5th year TTA want promotion aka the plan stated from the off!

TTA after gaining years experience of football and football clubs since owning one are, like Corney says being cute in the transfer market. As a club and owners we have suffered from the tribunal system having to pay higher transfer fee's than our own valuations, paying out dead money to have loan players and losing out to cut and runners like Porter. This season we've built a more in-depth squad than ever before and all within or more or less with in a given budget. Phillips whilst a decent prospect is not worth breaking the good strategy.

I still think with this being the 5th year TTA want promotion aka the plan stated from the off!

I agree. We've got the biggest squad for years and whilst i do think another left winger would be good, it's not exactly a priority position. I'd much rather us sign a left back to give Lomax some competition, if he get's injured there are a lot of players who have to move out of position to cover i.e taylor or hazel going to LB etc...

Look at how much money we paid out for Beckett in loan fee's.

We could do with finding another Bertrand from a top prem team, easier said than done though.

I have the belief that part of the loan deal would be that he starts the majority ofl the games .......... if this is the case why we have not signed him so far, good for us!!!

We have a great squad, will be very competitive this year and don't think it would good down well with the rest of the squad to know he will be a automatic starter in most of the games. Same goes for the mangerial team.

Whats holding the Phillips deal up as stoke forum oatcake seem to thinks its the 100k loan fee for the season..

If that is true, and as is indicated they sprung it on us at the last minute... then to be quite honest they can go swivel.

Feel sorry for Demar, but there would be better permanent investments out there for that money, as well as free loans for the season...

Guest oa_exile

From what I have been told it started out as a simple loan deal , Stoke actually offered us Phillips.

It has turned into a bit of a charade as Stoke are now holding out for more than what was originally discussed.

Phillips wants to come here,Latics have offered what they can afford , it's up to Stoke now .........simple , take it or leave it.

From what I have been told it started out as a simple loan deal , Stoke actually offered us Phillips.

It has turned into a bit of a charade as Stoke are now holding out for more than what was originally discussed.

Phillips wants to come here,Latics have offered what they can afford , it's up to Stoke now .........simple , take it or leave it.

Probably cos now their in the Premiergreed and having to fork out stupid money for players they've lost reality with their division 3 days not so long ago!. I agree take it or leave it, give him a chance of first team experience or leave him rot in their stiffs

Edited by Lags

No, we'd be knackered.

As cover we've only got Lee, Black, Stam, Taylor and Thompson that have played there at some point in their careers.

Lee is right footed and from what i've heard is more of a midfielder than defender.

Black has limited experience

Stam is dodgy at LB at best

Taylor is a right winger who can play at left back but considering his form on the wing it would be daft to move him there would it not?

Thompson is right footed and hardly fills me with confidence given his previous injury status.

My original point was that all these players bar Black don't play in this position, i'm not saying we should sign one but it might add a little extra competition where there isn't any at the minute.

All could do a job but if we are chasing promotion than surely we could do with a LEFT footed player just to give a bit of competition for the spot?

Lee is right footed and from what i've heard is more of a midfielder than defender.

Taylor is a right winger who can play at left back but considering his form on the wing it would be daft to move him there would it not?

Thompson is right footed and hardly fills me with confidence given his previous injury status.

My original point was that all these players bar Black don't play in this position, i'm not saying we should sign one but it might add a little extra competition where there isn't any at the minute.

All could do a job but if we are chasing promotion than surely we could do with a LEFT footed player just to give a bit of competition for the spot?

Bearing in mind Kelvin's right footed anyway, it doesn't appear to be a pressing problem to Shez in first place.

I'm convinced that l saw it reported somewhere, either here on the the official site, that it was TTA who told Shez that they were prepared to pay the money for Phillips but that he would have to be a regular. This was at the stage where Phillips had played a couple of games for us and it seemed to be just a formality that he would sign. Shez then went a bit quiet on the deal with comments along the lines of " we'll have a good look at the lad and then talk to Stoke ".

I think " he has to be a regular " has actually come from us.

Agree. Left back is a priority for me. We don't just want cover but competition. Lee is right footed and likes midfield. Taylor, Liddell and Smalley are also wide players, not full backs. Stam does not have the pace for a left back and is a centre half. Thompson.....is just crap, and is a right footed centre back. We've got competition and cover everywhere, except left back. Three young full backs, one with virtually no experience.

An experienced left back would be my first choice, unless some is being sold.....

That would do it. As would his wages.

Simple thing is, we offered to play their player, probably paying a percentage of his wages. Just take it or leave it. He's no use to them in their reserves as he'll be on the verge of losing his Work Permit anyway.

Leave the option whilst starting to look elsewhere would be my advice.

Yep i agree. We've done well without him so far anyways.

I think its down to Stoke wanting more money in recent weeks Stoke have been linked with higher profile players and suspect in order to free there wages to accomodate a bigger name player, they need someone like Oldham to pay more.

If this is the case i support Shez as he will proberly wait until the last day of the transfer window. However in between this another club could snap him up. Its tough one do we give in or remain stubborn.