richie byrne

is definately the lad who was warning up at colchester i googled him and looked at a pic. Wikipedia aslo states hes been on trial with wigan and PSG over summer

THe wikipedia states he is currently on trial with Wigan Athletic, anyone else think that the person entering might have got their Athletics mixed up? Ie real and plastic going on league postion not chronology?

well the guy warming up looked like byrne

He did. Pretty sure having seen the picture it was him. Everything links up, particularly with Black now at Barrow until January 2009 with the option of it being until the end of the season too.

I'll assume the MEN got the bit about it being a loan move wrong.

From tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

Latics poised to sign defender

Reporter: Michael Yarwood

Date online: 01/09/2008

ATHLETIC manager John Sheridan is lining up a move for a new defender.

Sheridan’s target has gained European and domestic experience with a club in Scotland and is likely to sign for Athletic as a free agent.

He is primarily a left-back but would also provide cover on the left-hand side of central defence.

Sheridan said: “If we can get everything sorted the lad will be coming in. He has played in the UEFA Cup and I’m hopeful it’s going to happen.”

Athletic have been seeking a left-back since Ryan Bertrand’s loan spell from Chelsea ended in January. Kelvin Lomax has usually done the job, including in all four league games this season, but Sheridan wants to add a further option to his squad.

As the potential new face is currently without a club, Athletic do not have to rush anything through before the transfer window closes at midnight tonight.

And the signs are that they will keep their most valuable assets, with chairman Simon Blitz confirming no bids had been accepted for the likes of Chris Taylor and Neal Eardley.

Other players, however, are free to leave, and Athletic are hoping the enquiries made for JP Kalala and John Thompson will lead to permanent transfers.

If not, the loan market will re-open next week after a post-window break of seven days.

Meanwhile, Sheridan has challenged young forward Deane Smalley to use his vital goal against Colchester on Saturday as a launchpad for the season.

Smalley (19) came off the subs’ bench to hit a dramatic equaliser after Athletic had trailed 2-0 in Essex.

Sheridan said: “Everybody knows what I think of the lad’s ability, so hopefully that goal will be the first of many.

“I think he should be scoring 10 – he’s good enough to do that – and the same goes for Lewis Alessandra.

Aberdeen fans seem to think he's a better CB than LB

comments from their boards:

''Byrne was at fault for the goal, now theres a surpirse... ''

''Prior to this season the boy's answer to our LB problem was Byrne...play him CB FFS''

'' I would only consider offering him a new deal if, 1) 1 year pay as you play deal only 2) Play as a centre back only''

'' A fit Byrne at Centre Back can do a decent job. The problem is he has only been fit for 10% of his time at the club.''

**this is not me writing the player off before he signs, just quotes from aberdeen fans. Il give him my full support if/when he plays for us (if we do sign him), i just hope its not at the expense of Lomax for no reason.

Slight update, Richie is stayin in Latics' house on Broadway...

He drives a Range Rover i think, couldnt resist a sneaky peak in the window on my way past.

just been to latics to swap my season ticket in the rre as I now have to move and saw what I thought to be Craig Davies driving a silver Range Rover, so yes Ritchie is definately here

just been to latics to swap my season ticket in the rre as I now have to move and saw what I thought to be Craig Davies driving a silver Range Rover, so yes Ritchie is definately here

But then again, as Craig Davies drives a Silver Range Rover Sport, it could have been him - particularly as it looked like him :blink:

But then again, as Craig Davies drives a Silver Range Rover Sport, it could have been him - particularly as it looked like him :blink:

Thought that myself, but the boot was open outside the house, as to say he was unpacking some stuff, also had a family member in the house (who was giving me dirty looks since i was looking in the house)