Ressies at Blackburn behind closed doors

The OS says a private friendly arranged for the Reserves next Wednesday at Blackburn.

Richie Byrne's international clearance allows him to play two reserve games - this will be the second.

SkySports.com says Dutch club NEC Nijmegen have indicated they may offer the player a contract after he spent seven days there last week but for now he is concentrating his efforts on impressing Latics boss John Sheridan.

"I did OK in Holland but the deal there depends on them selling a player before I can come in, so I don't know what'll happen there".

"I had a couple of days with Oldham this week and I did well, John Sheridan said he was pleased with me and I'll know next week if they have anything to offer me."

''Richie Byrne is total pants!! Wears his heart on his sleeve and gives his all, but just has no ability. For you're sake I hope you bin him cos' truly, he is mince! Can't pass, tackle or control the ball.

God help you!''

Aberdeen fan replying to a post on our BBC 606 board.

In tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

....Athletic have signed Republic of Ireland ‘B’ international Richie Byrne to cover them at both centre-half and left-back.

Byrne agreed a one-month contract over the weekend and was lining up for the reserves today in a private friendly at Blackburn.

The 26-year-old was pencilled in at full-back as Athletic named a strong team and gave match practice to most of the players who have been on the bench this season.

Goalkeeper Greg Fleming, utility man Kieran Lee and midfielder Dale Stephens have all been involved at senior level without playing in the league, while two more summer signings, Kevin Maher and Chris O’Grady, have started one league game apiece.

Athletic also included a trialist midfielder, but transfer-listed JP Kalala was unavailable.

The squad was: Fleming, Rowney, Thompson, Dawson, Byrne, Maher, Lee, Stephens, trialist, Smalley, O’Grady, Eaves, Kilcourse, Esdaile-Biney, Cowan, Bembo-Leta, Bell.

Guest oa_exile

If he signs for Nijmegen I can safely say he will "Die of boredom" Nijmegen is a country bumpkin type of place , nothing even in the surrounding area to do.

I used to work out of Ede (near Arnhem) and Nijmegen makes Ede look interesting which is a statement in itself. :lol:

Finished 3-1 to Blackburn, with O'grady scoring for us

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1388976,00.html

Sounds as if it was a decent test - i'd imagine the Blackburn stiffs would have been pretty up for it with the new gaffer watching on... cant tell much from a text report but good to hear players are getting fitter... games such as this perhaps show the value of NOT being in a ressie league?

Sounds as if Lee, Smalley, and O'Grady had lively games....

Hopefully JP being unavailable might mean he was at another club... I assume we could still release someone if we mutually agree to cancel a contract, and then he can sign for someone else as a free agent?

If he signs for Nijmegen I can safely say he will "Die of boredom" Nijmegen is a country bumpkin type of place , nothing even in the surrounding area to do.

I used to work out of Ede (near Arnhem) and Nijmegen makes Ede look interesting which is a statement in itself. :lol:

IT sounds like managing to beat Blackburn was a bridge too far.

Sounds as if it was a decent test - i'd imagine the Blackburn stiffs would have been pretty up for it with the new gaffer watching on... cant tell much from a text report but good to hear players are getting fitter... games such as this perhaps show the value of NOT being in a ressie league?

Sounds as if Lee, Smalley, and O'Grady had lively games....

Hopefully JP being unavailable might mean he was at another club... I assume we could still release someone if we mutually agree to cancel a contract, and then he can sign for someone else as a free agent?

Only players who were free agents when the deadline passed can sign for someone, if we released JP now he couldn't sign for anyone until January.

He CAN go out on loan though.