Today in RRE

FACT!!!

Netting is being provided in between the home and away fans due to the behaviour of fans - at a large cost to the club.

FACT!!

A report is sent at the end of every game to the FA regarding the amount of standing spectators. As mentioned in a previous post. if the ground regulations are not abided by. The stand could be closed.

FACT!!

The ground needs stewarding. If the police are unhappy and think the stewards can't control the crowd. Then police will be brought back to police the fans. - At a large cost to the club.

If you ask me the stewards are lenient and you can have a good crack with them. There is only so much abuse they can take. The lads who got thrown out on Saturday had been told on numerous occassions to sit down. they proceeded to either give abuse, ignore the stewards or stare directly at them with there arms outstretched in defience.

What made me laugh on saturday was as soon as the policeman came along and told people to sit down...everybody did.

i know for a fact that stewards allow standing during exciting moments in the game, eg when oldham are attacking, goal is scored. It is persistent standing which is the issue and a lack of respect for the authorities

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 ways of looking at it.

Get miffed at seeing fans being cobbed out - especially as we dont have that many. I personally cant sing wholeheartedly sat down so have to stand quite a lot to create decibals and if stewards were telling me to sit down every five minutes - it is a bit annoying.

BUT- that is the rules and not hard to just park yer arse for a minute or two inbetween songs - AND - put yerself in the stewards shoes - they have a job to do and dont deserve getting abuse.

Sooo stand up and sing - but give yerself a breather inbetween - problem solved.

Next - Georgia vs Russia - well what you should do is.................

I agree that they should be looked at again as there were a lot of contributory factors to the awful disaster in Sheffield.

The legislation is a blanket rule book that was just as much about getting rid of violence at grounds as spectator safety, however there have been no major disasters at grounds in the UK since implimentation.

I was in this case though just pointing out the legislation the club is governed by. They could pull some seats out etc but then would have to replace them if we gain promotion which would seem short sighted and costly at this stage.

re the bit in bold - and this is why grounds are still all seater. The powers that be see that since the introduction of seats there hasn't been a reproduction of the Bradford fire, Hillsborough, Heysel or The Glasgow incident. Like it or not it will stay this way and no amount of standing, campaigning or reasoned debate backed up with facts will change it. The only thing that could possibly change it is if there is a disaster whereyby it could be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was either caused by seats or that the loss of life was majorly increased by seats.

There is wiggle room in the laws to allow for standing during moments of excitement but persistant standing will be cracked down upon.

Guest oa_exile
FACT!!!

Netting is being provided in between the home and away fans due to the behaviour of fans - at a large cost to the club.

FACT!!

A report is sent at the end of every game to the FA regarding the amount of standing spectators. As mentioned in a previous post. if the ground regulations are not abided by. The stand could be closed.

FACT!!

The ground needs stewarding. If the police are unhappy and think the stewards can't control the crowd. Then police will be brought back to police the fans. - At a large cost to the club.

If you ask me the stewards are lenient and you can have a good crack with them. There is only so much abuse they can take. The lads who got thrown out on Saturday had been told on numerous occassions to sit down. they proceeded to either give abuse, ignore the stewards or stare directly at them with there arms outstretched in defience.

What made me laugh on saturday was as soon as the policeman came along and told people to sit down...everybody did.

i know for a fact that stewards allow standing during exciting moments in the game, eg when oldham are attacking, goal is scored. It is persistent standing which is the issue and a lack of respect for the authorities

.........and how do you know all these Facts ? :)

As always seems to be the case in so many issues in football it's inconsistancy that causes problems. I saw a fare portion of the Liverpool v Them Lot game on Saturday, and everytime it showed The Kop on TV they were all standing up. I can't see The Kop being closed for a few games can you? Yet at the easy pickings places such as Latics it seems like the authorities (whoever they maybe in this case) what to enforce the law at all costs.

I think if you sit in the 'I' block you've got to expect to be stood up for parts of the game as it's mainly people who want to sing who are in there and therefore many are gonna want to stand. If you don't want to have to stand up go in the next block along. I know people may have got ST's in that block and probably think it's a bit unfair that people won't sit down but I think it was fairly obvious that this would be a 'singing area'. The stewards were a little over keen, but they have to enforce the 'health and safety' rules. Unfair to just pick on one or two out of so many who were stood up though and the constant presence killed the atmosphere for a while. It's gonna be like this all season though.

understand what you are saying partly,but there was an old bloke sat behind us and must ahve missed half the game through people standing up [concertina effect] also the disabled fans in wheelchairs at the back of the stand cant be expected to stand so they can see.

Ok maybe the club will have to put up a net and it will cost them money but won't the atmosphere being created at Boundary Park get more people inside the ground rather than put them off if we all sat down in silence? Me personally I'd get rid of half of the stewards and use the Police we have to sort out the crowd problems as I think they don't over-react to petty situations and I think they deal with situations better. Some power mad man with a yellow jacket who earns £20 for his troubles talking to you like an child doesnt really get me to sit down.

Some power mad man with a yellow jacket who earns £20 for his troubles talking to you like an child doesnt really get me to sit down.

Of course, hypothetically speaking, if a fan was to listen to what the steward was saying and do as they were asked, rather than seeking out confrontation in a childish show of defiance, then hypothetically the steward might not treat that fan like a child...

Of course, hypothetically speaking, if a fan was to listen to what the steward was saying and do as they were asked, rather than seeking out confrontation in a childish show of defiance, then hypothetically the steward might not treat that fan like a child...

The way I see some stewards (not all, some are fine) talking to fans is disgracefull. Some supporters do deserve to be thrown out, but the lack of seeing who is a decent fan and who is a trouble causer is the main problem with them. Some are bullies and they love the buzz of throwing people out which is why I personally think the Police are better as they are trained in how to treat people with respect but know who is out to push their luck and they deal with them properly.

All this talk of closing down stands didnt seem to worry the stewards and authorities of Tranmere and Rochdale where common sense stewarding led to hassle-free spectating and a good atmosphere. At Rochdale (unlike the previous year in Rose Bowl), stewards were happy to let 2 blocks of 'Tics stand and have a good sing - tbh this was the only zone where any real atmos was created also !. No aggro - no probs !. At Trampmoore I located towards the back to the right of the stand and along with many others stood throuought - the banter and atmosphere was good and again there was no trouble or grief - the stewards kept a watching brief but as noone was upset they let us all stand. A few people sat nearby before the kick-off obviously realised that this was destined to be a lively zone and simply relocated further down the stand where I am sure they had an excellent and unobstructed view of the game away from the 'standers'. Everyone happy, no grief, no falling out, no problem.

Why cant people in RRE think the same - obviously nearer the 'moat' there will be more singing and standing and further towards the goal will be more sitting. Everyone happy, bit of latitude given by stewards and no falling out. Seems straightfoward to me (altho I sit in Chaddy - well stand actually as I deliberately chose a seat where noone sits behind, and guess what ? no steward has yet asked me to sit down as I am in a zone where others are all standing and not blocking anyones view !).

Common sense needs to prevail fellas !

At Tranmere there were about half a dozen Oldham fans ejected for persistent standing - not trouble fee.

I'd like to know how many of those persistently standing are season ticket holders? the best deterent would be to confiscate their ST books - hit them where it hurts. The frustration is that those people involved don't appear to realise that there are no winners in this conflict and it's all down to stupidness and pig headedness in varying degrees from both sides.

The way I see some stewards (not all, some are fine) talking to fans is disgracefull. Some supporters do deserve to be thrown out, but the lack of seeing who is a decent fan and who is a trouble causer is the main problem with them. Some are bullies and they love the buzz of throwing people out which is why I personally think the Police are better as they are trained in how to treat people with respect but know who is out to push their luck and they deal with them properly.

You are right the police are better but the stewards cost less.

On Saturday The Couple Of Stewards Who Asked Me To Sit Down Was Alright, They Asked Me To Sit Down And Even Said Please. I Sat Down When They Asked And At Half Time The Steward Came Upto Me And Said When I Ask You And Your Friends To Sit Down, Just Do It And When I Move On Stand Up I have No Problem With It.

I sat Down But Then When I Looked Behind Me All Over Fans Was Stood Up So I Stood Up And I Never Got Any Hassel Off The Stewrads What So ever. When Josh Asked Can He Move To The Top The Steward Said Yeah With No Problems.

In My View The Stewards Were Good On Saturday. I Show Them Some Respect And I get It Back So I Have No Problem. Its The Ones Who Argue There Case Are The Ones Who leave The Stewards With Little OptioN But To Throw Them Out.

On Saturday The Couple Of Stewards Who Asked Me To Sit Down Was Alright, They Asked Me To Sit Down And Even Said Please. I Sat Down When They Asked And At Half Time The Steward Came Upto Me And Said When I Ask You And Your Friends To Sit Down, Just Do It And When I Move On Stand Up I have No Problem With It.

I sat Down But Then When I Looked Behind Me All Over Fans Was Stood Up So I Stood Up And I Never Got Any Hassel Off The Stewrads What So ever. When Josh Asked Can He Move To The Top The Steward Said Yeah With No Problems.

In My View The Stewards Were Good On Saturday. I Show Them Some Respect And I get It Back So I Have No Problem. Its The Ones Who Argue There Case Are The Ones Who leave The Stewards With Little OptioN But To Throw Them Out.

Maybe we should re-introduce Capital Punishment. Wooooooooooooosh!

Maybe we should re-introduce Capital Punishment. Wooooooooooooosh!

Capital Punishment? I Think That That Is A Bit Over The Top. Typical Knee Jerk Reaction.

:wink:

PS What Is The Capital Of England?

Answer = E