Today in RRE

I sit towards the back of the I block. I often have to stand up due to the 25 rows in front of me standing up. So why do the stewards always start asking those at the back to sit down first. I'm stood up because I can't frigging see the game. Start with those at the front and I will be able to. Instead they continually target those at the back first. I'll happily sit down, I did so in the Upper Lookers for 15 years, just when they start with those at the front.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Look beyond? Or fail to understand?

this is almost comical, you fail to understand my point, then have a go at me. it turns out you dived in and had a go at the wrong guy, but wont back down so abuse my spelling then question my ability to understand. brilliant. accept that your post was wrong and leave it mate, i wont piss on you whilst your down and ill just take it that you feel strongly about people blocking your view and vented at me. i can take it. just hope you never get pidgeon :censored: on your seat.

this is almost comical, you fail to understand my point, then have a go at me. it turns out you dived in and had a go at the wrong guy, but wont back down so abuse my spelling then question my ability to understand. brilliant. accept that your post was wrong and leave it mate, i wont piss on you whilst your down and ill just take it that you feel strongly about people blocking your view and vented at me. i can take it. just hope you never get pidgeon :censored: on your seat.

No, I disagree with the view that if someone wants to sit in their seat and watch the game then they should move to accomodate people who persistently stand.

Capiche?

All this 'why should I move mentality' is pathetic. The stand is big enough to accomodate all types of fan. Like when grounds had terracing and you had some ejit next to you, you'd simply just move away from him and stand somewhere else. The problem is when the stands full and you can't move, then I can see you'd have a stronger reason to complain. I fully understand that persistant standing is against the rules but so what? The club isnt going to get the stand shut down because people are stood up. You watch any other game on TV and you see persistant standing, have any of them clubs been punished? no. The fact that someone paid £20 to enter a ground and stare at the away following is totally upto them no matter what your opinion of them is. I like to sing, stand and watch the match and I think most people who have been to the games this year would agree that the atmosphere due to moving in the RRE has dramatically improved. The stewards should only step in when the crowd goes over the top ie throwing coins and bottles over the moat. But it seems most of them just want to show off their 'power' and to me they stir up more than they should. Yesterdays atmosphere was a good one so lets not ruin it eh.

Unfortunately the persistent standers need to understand that the licence to open the stand to the general public can be withdrawn by the local authority and the stand closed for continuous failure to adhere to the rules. This includes standing for what is perceived to be an unreasonable amount of time.

Rules are rules, and Latics need to be seen to be enforcing them.

For what it is worth, I would chuck the bloody lot of them out after they have been told for a second time to sit down. I watched in amazement yesterday the same people continually being berated by the stewards. I bet they didn't sit down for more than thirty seconds before an antagonistic rendition of 'Stand Up If You Love Oldham' rang around the stand. That wasn't support - that was seeing how far they could push the stewards.

A few weeks/ months of trying to watch through the gates would soon see them co-operate with the stewards.

Who was the loon that shouted abuse at Cookey while his mate was being thrown out too? Bloody idiot soon followed his mate out of the ground!

KtF,

Derek.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

No, I disagree with the view that if someone wants to sit in their seat and watch the game then they should move to accomodate people who persistently stand.

Capiche?

yes. and i think making your kid miss more of the match than he needs to is among other things stupid, lazy and selfish

DO YOU GET ME?

yes. and i think making your kid miss more of the match than he needs to is among other things stupid, lazy and selfish

DO YOU GET ME?

if somebody has paid over £300 for a saeson ticket,and have been asked by the club to pick a seat of there choice then to all intents and purposes they have pre booked that seat for the whole season,why on earth should they then have to move because some knobhead wont sit down in front of them.

it happened on occasion in the chaddy end and i simply tapped the guy on the shoulder and politely asked him to sit as my lad couldnt see through him...he did so....

but what you have happening now is just a bunch of people trying to push the stewards to the limit and seeing how far they can go before being thrown out.

what happens when you get thrown out??? do you simply miss that game but are allowed back for the next game.

if so the club isnt using a deterent to persistant standing,if the club turned round and said tight,anybody ejected for persitant stand gets banned for the whole season,people may think twice,yes the club may well have ailienated a fan(of some description) but at least they have got the money from them.it sets a president that if you stand and dont follow the rules your out.

like hgas been said the ground is all seater,and standing isnt allowed other than moments of excitement,so all the persistant standers are doing is getting the club into trouble,which will inevitably result in the stand being closed.....what would happen then,all those people move to the chaddy end and carry on there...then get that stand closed down as well.

this season is our season,were going up,and what we dont need is people trying to be clever and get the club into trouble by constantly standing,the club have cctv,they know who is doing it,they should wait until the next game and give these people a letter explaining the consequences of standing,if they dont listen after that throw them out.

might sound harsh....but so would the club getting fined by the fa and having limitations imposed.

Unfortunately the persistent standers need to understand that the licence to open the stand to the general public can be withdrawn by the local authority and the stand closed for continuous failure to adhere to the rules. This includes standing for what is perceived to be an unreasonable amount of time.

Rules are rules, and Latics need to be seen to be enforcing them.

A good point well made. The persistent standers need to realise that they need to co-operate with the stewards and sit down when told; if the stewards get to the stage of not bothering to encourage people to sit down, thats precisely when the local authority will act against the club. The capacity of the RRE could be progressively reduced, the whole stand could be closed, the club could be prosecuted and fined.

Yes if the stewards don't act sensibly and start from the front their tactics are doomed to fail; the Safety Officer needs to address this, but in general they do a blody good job. I would say again the stewards are only human and must get pissed off with awkwards bastards ignoring them and continually seeking confrontation - I'm not surprised they sometimes lose their patience.

all valid points BUT if your arm is not able to stretch twenty rows forward then it makes sense to sit where your kid can see, any other decision is stupid, selfish blah blah blah.

i dont think what you suggest sounds harsh and i believe that steps are being taken to follow your suggested course of action. i believe tapes are being made by the club and police showing certain people refusing to sit down/ being thrown out/ gesturing at away fans over a period of , say, the first five or ten games. these tapes shown in a court will result in banning orders.

this is not gospel truth, this is my guess on the matter, but i expct it to be borne out in the coming months.

all valid points BUT if your arm is not able to stretch twenty rows forward

Doesn't quite work like that. You ask the individual infront to sit down, if they claim that they cannot see because of somebody is stood up in front of them - ask them to tell the stander infront of them to sit down - and so on and so forth.

DO YOU GET ME?

I understand that and I don't let that happen to my son, but you shouldn't need to move for a youngster to watch the match.

Lots of debate about this so I thought I'd copy and paste the definitive from the Football Licensing Authority - These are the rules that the club/stewards are asking us to abide by. BP is all seater so the rules apply. The important piece of this is that rules 9 and 18 are the key components of the regulations to be incorporated by each individual club:

Standing in Seated Areas

Last Updated: 01-Nov-2007 3:22 PM

Email Us Home > Publications > FLA Publications > Standing in Seated Areas

Standing in Seated Areas At Football Grounds

August 2002

Football Licensing Authority in association with;

Football Association,

FA Premier League,

Football League

National Association of Disabled Supporters

Football Safety Officers' Association

Core Cities Group - Safety of Sports Grounds and Public Events Working Group

District Surveyors' Association

Department for Culture, Media and Sport

Association of Chief Police Officers

Introduction and background

In this paper we examine the nature and causes of spectators standing in seated areas at Premier and Football League grounds. We conclude that this is unacceptable from the point of view not merely of the clubs and the authorities but also for many spectators. We identify various possible measures to tackle this matter and indicate who should be responsible in each case.

The Government recently reaffirmed its policy that all clubs in the Premiership and First Division should provide seated accommodation only with effect from 1 August 1994 or, if later, from three years after their promotion into the First Division. Grounds that have become all seated should remain so even if the club is subsequently relegated.

The Government's policy should be understood in the context of Lord Justice Taylor's Report into the Hillsborough Disaster of April 1989, in particular the following key extracts, which remain equally valid and pertinent today:

It is not enough to aim only at the minimum measures for safety. (Paragraph 59)

There is no panacea which will achieve total safety and cure all problems of behaviour and crowd control. But I am satisfied that seating does more to achieve those objectives than any other single measure. (Paragraph 61)

It is obvious that sitting for the duration of the match is more comfortable than standing. It is also safer. When a spectator is seated he has his own small piece of territory in which he can feel reasonably secure. He will not be in close physical contact with those around him. He will not be jostled or moved about by swaying or surging. Small, infirm or elderly men and women as well as young children are not buffeted, smothered or un-sighted by large and more robust people, as on the terraces. The seated spectator is not subject to pressure of numbers behind, nor around, him during the match. He will not be painfully bent double over a crush barrier. Those monitoring numbers will know exactly how many there are without having to count them in, or assess the density by, visual impression. There will still, of course, be scope for crowd pressure on standing whilst entering and, especially, when leaving but involuntary and uncontrolled crowd movements occasioned by incidents at the game are effectively eliminated. (Paragraph 62)

It is true that at moments of excitement seated spectators do, and may be expected to, move from their seats. But the moment passes and they sit down again. (Paragraph 64)

The Government's policy that Premiership and First Division grounds should be all seated in the public interest is enforced by means of conditions in the licence issued by the Football Licensing Authority under the Football Spectators Act 1989. These provide that:

only seated accommodation shall be provided for spectators at a designated football match; and

spectators shall only be admitted to watch a designated football match from seated accommodation.

Each Premiership and Football League ground has its own ground regulations based upon the model ground regulations recommended by the Premier and Football Leagues. Rules 9 and 18 of the model regulations provide that:

[b]9. Nobody may stand in any seated area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas while play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the ground.

18. The club reserves absolutely the right to eject from the ground any person failing to comply with any of the ground regulations or whose presence within the ground is, or could reasonably be construed as, constituting a source of danger, nuisance or annoyance to any other person. This could lead to further action by the club including, but not limited to, the withdrawal of any season ticket (without reimbursement)and other benefits.

18.1 Entry to the ground shall constitute acceptance of the ground regulations. [/b]

I agree that they should be looked at again as there were a lot of contributory factors to the awful disaster in Sheffield.

The legislation is a blanket rule book that was just as much about getting rid of violence at grounds as spectator safety, however there have been no major disasters at grounds in the UK since implimentation.

I was in this case though just pointing out the legislation the club is governed by. They could pull some seats out etc but then would have to replace them if we gain promotion which would seem short sighted and costly at this stage.

All this talk of closing down stands didnt seem to worry the stewards and authorities of Tranmere and Rochdale where common sense stewarding led to hassle-free spectating and a good atmosphere. At Rochdale (unlike the previous year in Rose Bowl), stewards were happy to let 2 blocks of 'Tics stand and have a good sing - tbh this was the only zone where any real atmos was created also !. No aggro - no probs !. At Trampmoore I located towards the back to the right of the stand and along with many others stood throuought - the banter and atmosphere was good and again there was no trouble or grief - the stewards kept a watching brief but as noone was upset they let us all stand. A few people sat nearby before the kick-off obviously realised that this was destined to be a lively zone and simply relocated further down the stand where I am sure they had an excellent and unobstructed view of the game away from the 'standers'. Everyone happy, no grief, no falling out, no problem.

Why cant people in RRE think the same - obviously nearer the 'moat' there will be more singing and standing and further towards the goal will be more sitting. Everyone happy, bit of latitude given by stewards and no falling out. Seems straightfoward to me (altho I sit in Chaddy - well stand actually as I deliberately chose a seat where noone sits behind, and guess what ? no steward has yet asked me to sit down as I am in a zone where others are all standing and not blocking anyones view !).

Common sense needs to prevail fellas !

Well well well people are falling out arent they? Best start since we went into prem, best atmos since I can remember and people are being soooo nasty to each other. I dont think there is this much antagonism when away fans come onto this board - you all crazy peeps. My last word ladies and getlemen is - in the matches with less away fans, there is plenty of room. Lets have the singers and standers at the front, a bit of a gap in between and then the sitters. Of course if we are asked by Mussolini and co to sit, then we sit. The way Latics are playing at the mo, there is that much attacking play then surely it is a valid excuse to be standing and getting all excited. It does one no harm to sit down once in a while, up and down on one's seat is quite a good workout - come on fellaz, bring a colander!

All this talk of closing down stands didnt seem to worry the stewards and authorities of Tranmere and Rochdale where common sense stewarding led to hassle-free spectating and a good atmosphere. At Rochdale (unlike the previous year in Rose Bowl), stewards were happy to let 2 blocks of 'Tics stand and have a good sing - tbh this was the only zone where any real atmos was created also !. No aggro - no probs !. At Trampmoore I located towards the back to the right of the stand and along with many others stood throuought - the banter and atmosphere was good and again there was no trouble or grief - the stewards kept a watching brief but as noone was upset they let us all stand. A few people sat nearby before the kick-off obviously realised that this was destined to be a lively zone and simply relocated further down the stand where I am sure they had an excellent and unobstructed view of the game away from the 'standers'. Everyone happy, no grief, no falling out, no problem.

Why cant people in RRE think the same - obviously nearer the 'moat' there will be more singing and standing and further towards the goal will be more sitting. Everyone happy, bit of latitude given by stewards and no falling out. Seems straightfoward to me (altho I sit in Chaddy - well stand actually as I deliberately chose a seat where noone sits behind, and guess what ? no steward has yet asked me to sit down as I am in a zone where others are all standing and not blocking anyones view !).

Common sense needs to prevail fellas !

I see your point but - a/ most of the standing seems to be done in the bottom half of the stand - traditionally for example when the chaddy was standing only the singing tended to come from the top - the people below weren't impacted

b/ Season Ticket holders don't necessarily want to move as they may feel they have the view that they want from the tickets they have bought, only to be obstructed by people not watching the game, abusing the stewards and obscuring their view.

c/ the club and stewards seem to have a policy of upholding the law so people can keep defying the stewards and get thrown out.

d/ Its illegal just like speeding etc - I don't like the fact that I have points from speed cameras but heh I broke the law and had to take the punishment.

But as I said before if everybody(not just tics) feel strongly about it then they need to bring it to attention maybe through a publication like WSC and bring it to the law makers attention

I believe that a motion to support standing areas in grounds is going before the Lid Dem conference this summer. Obviously this will have as much practical importance as pissing into the wind, but it's a start of sorts.

I can only repeat my point, that SOME OF those who want to stand are only making it more difficult for themselves by the attitude that they are giving to the Stewards. What is 100% certain is that if you respond to the Stewards or Police doing their job by telling them to :censored: off or otherwise taunting them, you will get an increasing response. Give a little, and respect the fellow fans around you, and you will get away with a lot more from the officials, and not create any grounds for other Latics to complain about you. Simple.

I believe that a motion to support standing areas in grounds is going before the Lid Dem conference this summer. Obviously this will have as much practical importance as pissing into the wind, but it's a start of sorts.

I can only repeat my point, that SOME OF those who want to stand are only making it more difficult for themselves by the attitude that they are giving to the Stewards. What is 100% certain is that if you respond to the Stewards or Police doing their job by telling them to :censored: off or otherwise taunting them, you will get an increasing response. Give a little, and respect the fellow fans around you, and you will get away with a lot more from the officials, and not create any grounds for other Latics to complain about you. Simple.

Fair comment - I thought the stewards were pretty lenient yesterday - then nicked the sheep because they got pissed off and bored with the abuse that they(the stewards not the sheep before you get excited ;-))were continually getting as well as having to say the same thing to the same few people about 90 times each during the game