watford game

dont know if anybody has posted this elswhere,thought i would post it in here rather than the latics forum

but this game where the lino gave the goal when obviously the ball did not go in.....

surely if the ref is not 100% then the very least he should go over to the lino and ask his opinion,if he doesnt feel that is the right decision then go to the sidelines where in the championship they seem to have tv near the dug out and ask to see the incident,then make his mind up...

click here to see the argument

having just read the official report on the bbc web site....i have to say im with steve coppell in saying if asked to replay the game he would be for it......after all its the right thing to do surely.

then a bit further down readings keeper is arguing it shouldnt be replayed as it would set a dangerous precident........yes it would cause problems,but surely to god as a proffessional player you wouldnt want to be seen to be cheating would you.

i suppose the most decent thing would have been for reading to allow watford to walk the ball in for an equaliser..

what do others think???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...v_1/7628234.stm

No replay...

I think thats best considering the game was a draw best we just move on I reckon...

is that your view as a neutral fan of football....

i wonder what yours and others opinions would be if it happened to latics.

i think in all honesty,the players knew it wasnt a goal,boothroyd got sent off for protesting against it,so there for will he get a touchline ban,if so is it fair considering everybody knows it wasnt a goal.

but i think they could of discussed it briefly for a min or 2 then reading should of allowed watford a free shot to equalise and start again...

it is a very glaring error,and in my opinion the fa need to sort it out fairly.

There's some talk of Reading allowing Watford to walk in a goal in the return game. Not sure how this is sitting with the teams' fans, but there you have it.

i think in all fairness it would be a bit of a hollow gesture.....i know whats done is done....but in the return game if they allow that then there is no saying it will have an effect on the outcome.

what we have is a 2-2 draw,obviously it should have been a watford win,so hence watford are missing two points,which come the end of the season could be very important regarding playoffs or promotion.....i think if they wont allow a replay,they need to seriously consider other options,the ref has admitted it was wrong,the lino knows its wrong and said it was an optical illusion!!!

the very first thing is the lino shouldnt ever officiate another game,he should be disgarded due to misconduct.

It's a crap idea IMO to be replaying games. Officials make mistakes, it's part of the game as much as a player or manager making a bad call, you just get on with it.

so if on saturday in the last 3 or 4 mins hartlepool kicked the ball out and they gave it as a goal you would be happy would you???

not only having a no goal given against you,but after the team dug in and ground out a deserved draw,and also lost its unbeaten run....

you would just shrugg ya shoulders and get on with it......i think not.

is that your view as a neutral fan of football....

i wonder what yours and others opinions would be if it happened to latics.

It is my view as a neutral fan.... and it would probably be my view if it was Latics... The game ended in a draw so both get a point, if the other team had won then I wouldnt be happy and I would rather it be replayed....

It is my view as a neutral fan.... and it would probably be my view if it was Latics... The game ended in a draw so both get a point, if the other team had won then I wouldnt be happy and I would rather it be replayed....

i understand where ya comming from.....but it didnt really end as a draw did it..

technically reading were given a goal that wasnt a goal.....so in watfords eyes and there fans eyes watford won,and therefor lost out on 2 points.

i think this is a really good case for video replays like in every other sport that is played,the ref isnt sure the lino is adamant so there for call in the fourth official to have a quick look....sorry chaps it was a dead ball not a goal,every one carrys on and the lino goes to spec savers on monday morning......

i understand where ya comming from.....but it didnt really end as a draw did it..

technically reading were given a goal that wasnt a goal.....so in watfords eyes and there fans eyes watford won,and therefor lost out on 2 points.

i think this is a really good case for video replays like in every other sport that is played,the ref isnt sure the lino is adamant so there for call in the fourth official to have a quick look....sorry chaps it was a dead ball not a goal,every one carrys on and the lino goes to spec savers on monday morning......

Agreed about the video replays.. But leaving it as a draw is best I reckon...

Your right that it should of been a win but if you replay it the fans have to pay again and the players will have to play a extra game. Sometimes you just have to take stuff like this on the chin.... The ref shouldnt work again...

so if on saturday in the last 3 or 4 mins hartlepool kicked the ball out and they gave it as a goal you would be happy would you???

not only having a no goal given against you,but after the team dug in and ground out a deserved draw,and also lost its unbeaten run....

you would just shrugg ya shoulders and get on with it......i think not.

Did you really see it that way? We completely dominated the final quarter of an hour. I've seen digging in and grinding out a draw and that wasn't it.

On the matter at hand though, I don't see how you can replay the game. How do you decide when a mistake is of the magnitude to lead to a replay? There are regular occurrances of goals being given that don't cross the line and goals being disallowed that do. You'd have to be consistent and replay all these games.

I disagree with the now accepted view that the lino was to blame. Surely this was down to the referee. The linesman is responsible for indicating whether the ball crosses the line but the ref has to take responsibility as to whether it goes between the posts as he has a much better view.

dont know if anybody has posted this elswhere,thought i would post it in here rather than the latics forum

but this game where the lino gave the goal when obviously the ball did not go in.....

surely if the ref is not 100% then the very least he should go over to the lino and ask his opinion,if he doesnt feel that is the right decision then go to the sidelines where in the championship they seem to have tv near the dug out and ask to see the incident,then make his mind up...

click here to see the argument

having just read the official report on the bbc web site....i have to say im with steve coppell in saying if asked to replay the game he would be for it......after all its the right thing to do surely.

then a bit further down readings keeper is arguing it shouldnt be replayed as it would set a dangerous precident........yes it would cause problems,but surely to god as a proffessional player you wouldnt want to be seen to be cheating would you.

i suppose the most decent thing would have been for reading to allow watford to walk the ball in for an equaliser..

what do others think???

I think it's slightly hollow Coppell offering to replay the game (but it's the right thing for him to say) cos I think he knows there's no way the FA would buy that idea.

There is obviously a renewed call for goal line technology but that in itself throws up many more issues about when it should/shouldn't be used etc.

But how about this for a radical idea - how about a bit of honesty from the players themselves?

The Reading player who hooked the ball back into play, Noel Hunt, said after the game ".....it was probably the worst decision I have ever witnessed. We can't do anything about it. It's not our mistake, but what can you do? You can't say 'no ref, it wasn't in'....."

Well actually Noel, you could. You could quite easily at the time have spoken with the referree/lino and said that it was wide of the post and had gone out of play.

Sadly it demonstrates a lack of integrity from the Reading players. The very least they could have done was spoken to the ref. If he decided not to overturn it then they should be allowing Watford to walk the ball in from the resulting restart. Yet they (the Reading players) allowed the 'goal' to be awarded and stood by without saying anything whilst an outraged Aidy Boothroyd got his marching orders.

Shame on you, Reading.

Edited by danoafc

With regards to replaying the game, you cant do it really. Marcus Hahnemann had a good point when he said it would set a dangerous precendent. Reading should have had a pen in the game, but didnt. Do you replay the game because they could have scored the pen? Basically, its a very bad decision from the ref/lino, but do you replay a game every time the ref makes a mistake? Because that is the precendent that would be set.

I dont think they should replay the game, unfortunately its just one of those thinks, a shocking refereeing descision. I do think the ref and linesman should be demoted as far as you can demote them though. How can you really trust them to not make such a shocking decision again?

I think it's slightly hollow Coppell offering to replay the game (but it's the right thing for him to say) cos I think he knows there's no way the FA would buy that idea.

There is obviously a renewed call for goal line technology but that in itself throws up many more issues about when it should/shouldn't be used etc.

But how about this for a radical idea - how about a bit of honesty from the players themselves?

The Reading player who hooked the ball back into play, Noel Hunt, said after the game ".....it was probably the worst decision I have ever witnessed. We can't do anything about it. It's not our mistake, but what can you do? You can't say 'no ref, it wasn't in'....."

Well actually Noel, you could. You could quite easily at the time have spoken with the referree/lino and said that it was wide of the post and had gone out of play.

Sadly it demonstrates a lack of integrity from the Reading players. The very least they could have done was spoken to the ref. If he decided not to overturn it then they should be allowing Watford to walk the ball in from the resulting restart. Yet they (the Reading players) allowed the 'goal' to be awarded and stood by without saying anything whilst an outraged Aidy Boothroyd got his marching orders.

Shame on you, Reading.

its the very thing that should of happened.

i wouldnt be in favour of a replay,like said it sets it up for every oppertunity to be cancelled out.

i think the fa are hoping it all blows over and people forget about it,like tottenhams goal 6 yards over the united line that got dragged back.....carol should of said then it was over the line,but didnt.

just goes to show that when the chips are down the players back out of it and lode all respect they ever had.

they all know it wasnt a goal yet just accepted it,boothroyds dismissal should be recinded and any fine incurred payed by reading.

i think it would have been good if the watford players had just sat down on the pitch and refused to continue the game until the reading players admitted it wasnt a goal and until the ref listened to them properly.

the excuse of him only being a young ref doesnt work either,he has obviously satisfied the relevant board he is capable of officiating a game.stike him off and the lino,whos flimsy excuse of it was an optical illusion.....