One Club Men

Guest oa_exile
I thought forrest gump was a great player, he used to fly into some cracking challenges, how old was he when he had to retire

Born 28-11-1974 , retired in 2000 .........so about 26

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
That up and coming star that Liverpool bought- Harrison I think- who got injured before he could ever play for thr scousers.

That is a good shout he only played five times for the Latics before his £250K move to Liverpool in 1985.

Had injury after injury and never played for the 1st team , retired in 1991.

Harrison might be the only sportsman to retire having had more operations (23) than years (22). He was the most expensive teenager in the world, at £250,000, when Liverpool signed him from Oldham in 1985. Aged 17, he had only made five first-team appearances, but had ransacked Liverpool in an FA Youth Cup tie at Anfield. Oldham won 4-0 and the Liverpool manager Joe Fagan was given the word. "You hear reports about a special player perhaps once in 20 years," he said. "That's why we bought him."

The signing even made the nine o'clock news, but after that the only bulletins were of the medical variety. Harrison's grotesque misfortune began when he fell through a greenhouse, almost dying due to the loss of blood, and over the next few years he injured almost every part of his body. Finally, in May 1990, he shattered cruciate ligaments in his knee and that was that: he retired without playing a first-team game for Liverpool. His body was so damaged that, when he was granted a testimonial in 1992, he could not even hobble on for a cameo appearance.

I think Andy Barlow and Roger Palmer are as close as your gonna get in recent times for one club players. I'm sure Nicky Henry would have stayed here as long as possible if Warnock hadn't sold him for Dougie Hodgson! That said I don't think I've seen him at BP since he left?

I have - celebration Sunday in the box - top boy was there with his family

Reading the ongoing thread speculating on Chris Taylors value it occured to me that, should we reach The Championship, he could well go on to be a one club player.

Got me thinking....which one club players have we had? Probably loads if you go back long enough....I cant think of any though! Ian Wood? Did 'The Dodger' play in the City first team? Lets not include players who retired young or dropped out of the game.....Chris Hall for example! :lol:

Andy Sweeney

Ian Robins ?

Off topic - Have you read Redders autobiography??? Its like deja vue every chapter - "I didn't get on with the manager, he left me out for one game, so I told him that I wanted a transfer - I don't take being disrespected from anyone". Absolute tosh.

yes i've read it and think your precis is spot on. One addition - the manager was wrong, I was right and my wife agreed with me.

I cant think of one Latics player that warrants mention to the topic header (thats not to say they dont exist) however, the only player I can think of is Matt Le tissier, maybe Giggs, thou with him bein red I want to discredit him with having loose ties to City.

Guest oa_exile
I cant think of one Latics player that warrants mention to the topic header (thats not to say they dont exist) however, the only player I can think of is Matt Le tissier maybe Giggs, thou with him bein red I want to discredit him with having loose ties to City.

You can add :

Trevor Brooking

Nat Lofthouse

Tom Finney

Jack Charlton

Tony Adams

Billy Wright

to name but a few

Non-Latics this, but Jim McDermott played 750 games for Grimsby over the course of 20 years, and only retired a season or two back. According to Wikipedia, there's only 17 players in the entire history of football who's played anywhere near that many all for one club.

Guest oa_exile
keith hicks ?

john platt ?

nick sinclair ?

Keith Hicks played for Rochdale as well.

Hicks also played for Hereford Utd

John Platt - Bury , originally signed from Ashton Utd

Nick Sinclair - Tranmere Rovers

Guest oa_exile
Non-Latics this, but Jim McDermott played 750 games for Grimsby over the course of 20 years, and only retired a season or two back. According to Wikipedia, there's only 17 players in the entire history of football who's played anywhere near that many all for one club.

Could I have a link for that Jamie please

These are players with most League appearances albeit with different clubs.

Les Chapman is in the top twenty all time number of appearance list with 747 of which 263 for the Latics (two spells).

Other ex Latics include Redders (790) Paul Futcher (698) Denis Irwin (682) and here is a good one :lol: Rob Lee (692)

Guest oa_exile
Nick also played for Wolves.

Actually, his spell at Wolves was a loan whilst at Oldham, also interrupted by injury. (Google is my friend...)

Talking to yourself :blink:

I will ask you both just the once do you have Schizophrenia ? ^_^