Game Saturday

I wasnt having a go at attendances, I was stating that we'll need more if we go up?

I wasn't knocking back helpful suggestions, I was already aware of those routes, and if you read my post fully you'll see that I say that although this is an inconvenience to me for the type of person I am that I will be attending more home games this season?

This coming from a person who admittedly has a number of "passions" with the latics only one of them (and admittedly much less so that the real regulars) should surely be a positive comment. Without going into too much detail, about half of my weekends are occupied around the country or abroad, there's nothing I can do about that nor do I need to justify it. It's people like me that should be encouraged to come more often, not put off by apparently "p***ing off" the regular attentees. The reason I'm a Latics fan is through my Dad, despite never living in the area until recently myself, so I have never been a regular attendee, in the last few years I have gone to more and more games each year. Another point for me is that I don’t really like going to games alone (or the travelling), and I have no mates who are Oldham fans in Manchester, this means it's a good 5 hours by myself day out if I choose to do that (not really what I want on my hard earned days off). Most of my mates in Manchester are Man U, City or Liverpool fans, so often I go to away games as I'm going with a fan from their team (or vice versa). I have mates in Liverpool and Leeds that I often meet to go to local games with.

I'm sorry but it's not my fault if you have read differently into my post to how it was written. I'm more sorry that if this is a general attitude of fans, it'll only keep me away.

I appreciate your point of view DS, as I understand you thought I meant to criticise the attendance whilst staying away myself, but hope that you'll read this and realise that I'm not actually an ignorant fair-weather fan trying to do this but just one of the irregular attending fans that's keen to watch our team progress whenever I can, when it fits around the rest of my life, whilst adding my opinion on how we can do it, I'm honest about that.

I'll be in the Stockport end with a Stockport fan on Friday, it's better that I'm there than not at all :)

Nervous Tic, I will be in touch :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be put off mate, not everybody on this board thinks the occasional fan is persona non gratis.

I agree ghostofcecere. Surely casual fans like monkeykieran, posting their experiences - or not as the case may be, and being made out to be the root cause personified - will switch them off?

Encourage, support, and advise - don't tell me what I already know. Rant over, I need more coffee. Sorry - I'm just tired of the same old being posted to the same old...

LOL, yeah could be I suppose :grin:

My thoughts on this are though, that we all agree that it would be great to see BP packed to the rafters every week, I do not disagree with the sentiment of BB80 or D_S's posts, but the reality is this will never happen unless we get to the Premier Greed once more, which I think hand on heart we all know is extremely unlikely.

I have a slightly less agressive stance on this issue than say somebody like BB80 (and no lets not bring up the early rounds of the FA Cup again here BB80 :grin: ), we have to accept that Latics fans come in all shapes and sizes (literally!). Some would go and watch us play at the ends of the earth on a cold wet night in December and attend 40+ games a season, some have other things they like to do with their lives as well as watch Latics for their entertainment. These people are tempted to BP for big games or big FA Cup ties away; I don't see them as somehow un-worthy Latics fans, they show there support in the way they see fit, and it's their perogative. And if I'm honest I love it when they turn up for a big game, the extra atmosphere created makes it actually feel like a big game, something different.

Just one final point on this, whilst I fully accept this figure of 6500 fans needed to just break even, how come we are so different to Scunthorpe, Colchester or Hereford? I don't recall much in the media about there financial plight and lack of fans. In fact the former two got out of this divison on smaller crowds than us.

Agree 100% having been in a similar position to kieran when I was at uni in Salford I can appreciate its a bit of a pain going to matches I certainly didn't attend week night matches in this time but did with the saturdays.

Regarding the Scunthorpe, Colchester, and Hereford situation I would be very surprisesd if their situation wasn't the same as ours just that we are not aware of it.

I wasnt having a go at attendances, I was stating that we'll need more if we go up?

It's people like me that should be encouraged to come more often, not put off by apparently "p***ing off" the regular attentees.

You said we're going to need a better attendance in the championship, home support is key and normally you go to away games only

I said it pisses me off when stayaways express dissatisfaction with attendances at BP. I cannot believe that my being pissed off in this way will put off any stayaways as you imply.

I'm sorry but it's not my fault if you have read differently into my post to how it was written. I'm more sorry that if this is a general attitude of fans, it'll only keep me away.

I would hate to think that I have the power to reflect a general attitude of fans, to the extent of keeping away an irregular attender. As I said, If all the stayaways attended (irregularly) one game a season, the problem of the Club haemorrhaging money would be solved

I agree ghostofcecere. Surely casual fans like monkeykieran, posting their experiences - or not as the case may be, and being made out to be the root cause personified - will switch them off?

I was not making out casual fans to be the root cause personified. I was refering to stayaways who criticise the BP attendances. They used to ask two questions (1) How did they go on? (2) What was the crowd. Nowadays they know the result through vairious media sources, so they only ask question (2). Why do they concern themselves about the attendance?

Encourage, support, and advise - don't tell me what I already know. Rant over, I need more coffee. Sorry - I'm just tired of the same old being posted to the same old...

I realise you're not agreeing with me, but I agree with you about not telling me what I (and TTA) know already i.e. we need bigger crowds now and if promoted. The very nature of a Forum is that there are bound to be occasions when the same old is posted by the same old...reaching to the converted will not solve the problem, but it gets it off my chest!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

They used to ask two questions (1) How did they go on? (2) What was the crowd. Nowadays they know the result through vairious media sources, so they only ask question (2). Why do they concern themselves about the attendance?

Well it's just a kind of football question isn't it? Like for instance "who scored?"

I do see the point you are making though if they were there they would know the attendance.................

IMO we need to get over the idea that people have some DUTY to go to Latics because of what town (and not really town, it's the Borough that is usually quoted) they come from and just focus on what makes people get involved and enjoying what visits they do make.

1) Product on the pitch is the only thing that will significantly affect our attendances in the here and now

2) The Children are our Future, let the Show the Way. Most of us were poisoned as kids, we need to poison a new generation to support our addiction as we get older. It's an investment with very gradual returns and most likely our current, and perhaps next owners wouldn't see the full benefit of it, but make no mistake if we can get a couple of hundred extra kids per year coming regularly through the gates it will make a massive difference in 5 years time, with parents, brothers and sisters and mates hearing the word.

I do see the point you are making though if they were there they would know the attendance.................

No, that's not my point! I'm saying why should they concern themselves about the size of the crowd when they have no intention of attending themselves? It's the same with TV viewers criticising all the empty seats at the game they are watching from the comfort of their armchairs.

I go on about it because I fear that one day there will be no Latics for them to ask about.

You said we're going to need a better attendance in the championship, home support is key and normally you go to away games only

I said it pisses me off when stayaways express dissatisfaction with attendances at BP. I cannot believe that my being pissed off in this way will put off any stayaways as you imply.

I would hate to think that I have the power to reflect a general attitude of fans, to the extent of keeping away an iregular attender. As I said, If all the stayaways attended (irregularly) one game a season, the problem of the Club haemorrhaging money would be solved

I was not making out casual fans to be the root cause personified. I was refering to stayaways who criticise the BP attendances. They used to ask two questions (1) How did they go on? (2) What was the crowd. Nowadays they know the result through vairious media sources, so they only ask question (2). Why do they concern themselves about the attendance?

I realise you're not agreeing with me, but I agree with you about not telling me what I (and TTA) know already i.e. we need bigger crowds now and if promoted. The very nature of a Forum is that there are bound to be occasions when the same old is posted by the same old...reaching to the converted will not solve the problem, but it gets it off my chest!

Blimey Diego you are vexed.

That is an iregular spelling of irregular - very unlike your good self squire.

KtF,

Derek.

IMO we need to get over the idea that people have some DUTY to go to Latics.....

I agree. What I'm going on about is those who stay away from BP but, even though they have no duty to attend, they seem to think it's their duty to criticise attendances at BP.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I agree. What I'm going on about is those who stay away from BP but, even thouh they have no duty to attend, they seem to think it's their duty to criticise attendances at BP.

Now it's a 'g' - he's gone to pot...

:grin:

I can, it's just a nightmare and takes ages, I have to get three buses and if you are adverse to public transport and impatient like me it's a put off.

I'll still be doing it this year but I'd be so much happier if there was a direct service! (it's much much easier for me to get to stockport)

I would like to say, travelling from manchester is nothing, I live in lancaster, and its 2 trains, or a bus into lancaster centre, then train to salford and a lift from salford. Now thats a journey.

Back in the day (before I was old enough to see the light) my older brother paul used to CYCLE from manchester to the ground in all weather conditions.

If you wanted to go to more games, you would

I would like to say, travelling from manchester is nothing, I live in lancaster, and its 2 trains, or a bus into lancaster centre, then train to salford and a lift from salford. Now thats a journey.

Back in the day (before I was old enough to see the light) my older brother paul used to CYCLE from manchester to the ground in all weather conditions.

If you wanted to go to more games, you would

Missing the point I think - if you have always been used to the idea that you get to the game pretty much all the time, then that's what you do. That's great and it's the bedrock of the support, but not many people who haven't grown up with that are going to feel that way. And we can't grow with the people who already go every week.