Danny Whitaker could miss stockport match

Midfield playmaker Danny Whitaker is facing a battle for fitness after picking up a knee injury in the 1-1 draw against Huddersfield.

The ex-Port Vale man fell heavily following a late challenge by the Terriers' Jonathan Worthington, who then landed on top of the joint.

Whitaker was forced to leave the field and received treatment from physio Marc Czuczman following the game.

Latics' medical staff are hoping the injury responds to a course of treatment and will be assessing the situation over the next few days.

Kevin Maher and Dale Stephens will be hoping to replace Whitaker should he be unable to play. Both were included in the initial squad for the Huddersfield game but failed to make the final sixteen.

He was forced to miss training both yesterday and today, and may be ruled out of Friday night's League One fixture at Stockport.

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1407472,00.html

Big blow if he doesn't make it but it will give us a chance to see how strong the back up players in the squad are.

I personally feel Maher is more defensive like Allott than Whittaker who prefers to get forward more, so probably Stephens would be a more like for like replacement.

I think Shez is more likely to go with Maher though as the senior man although he appears to have had very little playing time recently.

Edited by Hometownclub

Injured from heavy challenge!!!

DIRTY SUNDAY LEAGUE YORKSHIRE SCUM!

It was a bad tackle from there sh1te-bag captain Worthington that did it too, he proper sythed him down.

As for replacing him (DW) i'd go with Maher - a yard-dog midfield away from home; shure things up nice and tight in central midfield along with Allott and play to our attacking strengths as they are at the moment - quick balls out to Chrisy Taylor & let him do his thing or dinks into the channels for Hughesy's runs.

I'd also go with O'Grady to start with Hughesy as Lewis has looked slightly off the pace for the last couple of games.

Edited by slystallone

If he doesn't play, its got to be stephens or a change in formation. If we play Maher and Allott we will struggle creating.

God our midfield was dull as hell with Allott and Maher playing together agains Millwall.

It was only when the subs came on the game changed surley he wont play Maher and Allott together again please god no!!!

We really need to beat stockport because this game more than anyother is the one that will be a nightmare at work if we loose.

God our midfield was dull as hell with Allott and Maher playing together agains Millwall.

It was only when the subs came on the game changed surley he wont play Maher and Allott together again please god no!!!

We really need to beat stockport because this game more than anyother is the one that will be a nightmare at work if we loose.

We also played Allott, Whittaker and Maher at Burnley and that didn't work.

Play Maher against Stockport but tell him to bomb forward at every opportunity...don't just accept that hes going to play in the same position as Allott.

Think Mahers a good player just not had time to settle yet.

I don't accept that either Ratters or Maher are defensive players, they both have a good passing range and both will push forward given the chance, although niether is going to get as far forward as often as Whitaker does. Smalley on the right would be more suited to that pairing than Liddell IMO as he would be in more advanced positions to receive the ball in rather than possibly getting too flat with Lids.

If he doesn't play, its got to be stephens or a change in formation. If we play Maher and Allott we will struggle creating.

If Maher plays as is likely I would play Davies or O'Grady alongside Hughes and give Smalley a start at the expense of Liddell as I think it would give us more of an attacking threat.

A Liddell, Stephens, Byrne, and Davies/O'Grady bench would give us plenty of options.

We could even start with Byrne at full back as the defence has looked a little leaky of late.

This is definitely a game we can win and we should be really going for it!!!