Anyone think England will win it?

Take it you mean RLWC? Answer: a great big fat resounding no! I don't see how weakening the GB team into England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland can mean we have a hope in hell of competing with the Aussies. Of course we'll make the final (probably) where we will get slapped by our Anipodean cousins. Bring it on!

Edited by oafcprozac

According to the official site Wales haven't qualified and due to some weird grouping system it seems likely that England will play the Kiwis in the semi with the winners going on to play Aussies in the final. If it was Great Britain I would fancy our chances at beating the Kiwis, but since its England I don't. I think the Aussies will win the main group, and then go on to beat the Kiwis in the final.

According to the official site Wales haven't qualified and due to some weird grouping system it seems likely that England will play the Kiwis in the semi with the winners going on to play Aussies in the final. If it was Great Britain I would fancy our chances at beating the Kiwis, but since its England I don't. I think the Aussies will win the main group, and then go on to beat the Kiwis in the final.

Bit harsh isn't it? For what it's worth I don't think the split to the Home Nations has done that much damage. We have some cracking youngsters who don't really have any mental scarring from getting battered by the Aussies. It might be too soon for us but I think we might surprise a few...

Guest M_OAFC
Take it you mean RLWC? Answer: a great big fat resounding no! I don't see how weakening the GB team into England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland can mean we have a hope in hell of competing with the Aussies. Of course we'll make the final (probably) where we will get slapped by our Anipodean cousins. Bring it on!

It's affected us in past world cups but to be honest if you look at the current squads for Scotland, Wales and Ireland you'd be struggling to find anyone that'd get in the England squad so I don't think it's going to make any difference this time.

I still think we'll get beat by Australia though! Our fixtures with New Zealand will be tough to call, could go either way those.

It's affected us in past world cups but to be honest if you look at the current squads for Scotland, Wales and Ireland you'd be struggling to find anyone that'd get in the England squad so I don't think it's going to make any difference this time.

That's about right to be fair, maybe just a couple to bolster the ranks: Keiron Cunningham (Welsh) and Pat Richards (Irish) who I'd include in a GB team, but there's nobody else from the other nations...

Worst game ever, bar Union and the yank games. I hope they embarrass themselves in what I assume is a forthcoming 'World Cup', with just how many countries in it? :lol: Nobody plays it because it is :censored:.

Maybe the massive percentage of morons who play have helped form my negative view?

Worst game ever, bar Union and the yank games. I hope they embarrass themselves in what I assume is a forthcoming 'World Cup', with just how many countries in it? Nobody plays it because it is ****

...and football is the best thing since sliced bread.

Only the countries good enough, like any other World sports festival, take part in the World Cup - how many would you like to be in it? There's a couple of lads in Scottish squad from Oldham and Rochdale I think Sinfield and Nanyn, good on 'em - I'll be looking out for them and hoping they put in some great performances.

...and football is the best thing since sliced bread.

Only the countries good enough, like any other World sports festival, take part in the World Cup - how many would you like to be in it? There's a couple of lads in Scottish squad from Oldham and Rochdale I think Sinfield and Nanyn, good on 'em - I'll be looking out for them and hoping they put in some great performances.

Sorry Rummy, I just actively dislike the game and regularly point out to fans just how :censored: it is in the vain hope it dies out, if only so I never have to see another ghastly Rugby shirt. I've (politely) said as much to Barrie Mac. Still, it's struggling to spread far beyond the northwest isn't it - I don't wonder why. I realise those in the southern hemisphere play it but then they are morons of the highest order I am sure we can all agree. Then of course there's the yanks who have somehow gone one better with that NFL :censored:e. :lol:

Despite a very limited knowledge (I did reluctantly pay attention to a full season when I lived with a lad who loved it - it didnt catch on) I would hazard a guess that not many countries are good enough to play in the 'World' cup because not many play it full stop! This despite it being a very, very cheap sport to take up - it doesn't even need a decent pitch surface to play ffs. Nobody bothers though do they.....

Oh and 'Man of Steel'? Please. This sums up everything wrong with the game. Just a big homo-erotic love in if you ask me.......

Anyway, crack on. I'm over it.

Oh god, somebody at work wants to chat about a 'Grand' final. He has failed to explain why it is 'Grand'. I'l tell him why - because it's a f****n' daft game.

:rant.sml:

Sorry Rummy, I just actively dislike the game and regularly point out to fans just how :censored:..... blah blah waffle yadda yadda yadda blah blah waffle waffle blah blah I wonder what's for dinner, ooh I fancy some of that chicken with the olives and peppers, maybe a packet of crisps too. as a treat y'know. yum. got to go B and Q after work bollocks, I can't put it off forever. three pound seventy five? what a bloody rip off, do you want the shirt off my back? never mind...blah blah blah waffle drone waffle ....He has failed to explain why it is 'Grand'. I'l tell him why - because it's a f****n' daft game.

Soooooo anyway yes, I think we've got a chance to win the cup - should be good...

Sorry Rummy, I just actively dislike the game and regularly point out to fans just how :censored: it is in the vain hope it dies out, if only so I never have to see another ghastly Rugby shirt. I've (politely) said as much to Barrie Mac. Still, it's struggling to spread far beyond the northwest isn't it - I don't wonder why. I realise those in the southern hemisphere play it but then they are morons of the highest order I am sure we can all agree. Then of course there's the yanks who have somehow gone one better with that NFL :censored:e. :lol:

Despite a very limited knowledge (I did reluctantly pay attention to a full season when I lived with a lad who loved it - it didnt catch on) I would hazard a guess that not many countries are good enough to play in the 'World' cup because not many play it full stop! This despite it being a very, very cheap sport to take up - it doesn't even need a decent pitch surface to play ffs. Nobody bothers though do they.....

Oh and 'Man of Steel'? Please. This sums up everything wrong with the game. Just a big homo-erotic love in if you ask me.......

Anyway, crack on. I'm over it.

Oh god, somebody at work wants to chat about a 'Grand' final. He has failed to explain why it is 'Grand'. I'l tell him why - because it's a f****n' daft game.

I know the rules Mark. Unfortunately living in Oldham they have been thrust upon me.

I wonder if our fans liking for both footy and british bulldog is linked to their extra excitment and appreciation of a Latics players effort, pace and general 'gettting stuck in' above their football skill levels?

Still, each to their own. Enjoy the tight tops and short shorts.......hut hut.......

Thing is Stitch you are right as i said one London, French and Welsh team does not make Rugby League a National Sport. I worked at the 2000 WORLD rugby League world cup. We where selected at college to look after the teams in the smaller nations comp.

Players where staying the student halls at Hopwood Hall, crowds where poor. I remember a meeting there and then for fixtures for the next ten years which never happened. Fact that there was an extra GB team in to make numbers. Best part was be aged 17 going on the last with the Canadians.

Most of the players did not even live or where born in there respective countries but had second cousins or a long lost Auntie. I think the 2008 system is poor also.

However my Old man was a big Rugby League fan which is the real reason i look out for Oldham scores. However the bitterness and Anti football comments, such as blaming us for there sport being in the dark ages real does my head in.

Football is my number 1 sport and always will be but how anyone from the north west of England can not have respect for rugby league is beyond me. Someone slagged off the man of steel but I have a million times more respect for James Graham who will run the ball into 18 stone blokes for 80 minutes rather than the PFA player of the year Cristiano Ronaldo whom a stray fart would knock over. Rugby League sets us apart from our soft southern cousins so lets treasure it and get behind England's efforts in the world cup and cheer them on to victory but if you still dont think its a worthwhile sport try running into Jamie Peacock and your opinion will change.

Football is my number 1 sport and always will be but how anyone from the north west of England can not have respect for rugby league is beyond me. Someone slagged off the man of steel but I have a million times more respect for James Graham who will run the ball into 18 stone blokes for 80 minutes rather than the PFA player of the year Cristiano Ronaldo whom a stray fart would knock over. Rugby League sets us apart from our soft southern cousins so lets treasure it and get behind England's efforts in the world cup and cheer them on to victory but if you still dont think its a worthwhile sport try running into Jamie Peacock and your opinion will change.

Great quote from Saints fan Freddie Flintoff in Saturday's Grand Final Programme "I can't imagine having to try and stop a 17 stone fella running at me, like these guys do every week, it'd terrify me!"

Hmmmm wonder how those poor batsmen feel with you running at them (15/16 stone) and chucking a cricket ball at over 80/90mph straight at their head or goolies! Really made me laugh that one!

Edited by oafcprozac

Football is my number 1 sport and always will be but how anyone from the north west of England can not have respect for rugby league is beyond me. Someone slagged off the man of steel but I have a million times more respect for James Graham who will run the ball into 18 stone blokes for 80 minutes rather than the PFA player of the year Cristiano Ronaldo whom a stray fart would knock over. Rugby League sets us apart from our soft southern cousins so lets treasure it and get behind England's efforts in the world cup and cheer them on to victory but if you still dont think its a worthwhile sport try running into Jamie Peacock Immense a guy you'd want in the trenches alongside you and your opinion will change.

Whilst football will always be my number one sport, however - I have mentioned a few times how disillusioned I have become with the saturation and grossly over hyped media monster it has become. I yearn for a return to the simpler time of the mid-late 80s where TV coverage was a rarity, the grounds dumps but full of atmosphere and the players all had 'taches and were called Dave, Mick, Andy or Ron - but it'll never happen and we have to put up with the bunch of disinterested softarses that are the elite of our national game and unfortunately this attitude is drifting down through the leagues and is increasingly evident at grass roots level. So that is why I enjoy Rugby League, yes a lot of 'em aren't the sharpest tools in the box but they are true athletes who put their bodies on the line week after week and always give their all (Francis Meli excepted!). Same with my recently found interest in cricket* (2004 onwards) and tbh if it wasn't for these other two sports, Sky would've done a Burton from my house months or even years ago.

*My late Grandad was a mad keen cricket fan and loved his RL so perhaps that's where my interest has developed from.

Edited by oafcprozac

The Aussies are very likely to win it, especially with it being at their place in their weather too.

However England have a decent outside chance and a coach who for once seems interested upon picking players on form rather than reputation.

So you never know.

Who would you play at 6 Pryce or McGuire?

Despite me being a Saints fan, McGuire every time the guy is a little magician and him and Burrow have a telepathic understanding and no one knows the impact those two boys can have more than Tony Smith.

If they go for that would you leave Pryce on the bench or is there some merit in playing him on the wing/centre?

If they go for that would you leave Pryce on the bench or is there some merit in playing him on the wing/centre?

He played a lot on the wing for Bratfurd and was sensational at times, although he could do a job at centre I'd be more prone to leaving him on the bench, he'd be useful in the interchange and could make an impact from there, particularly late on when we've lacked stamina in International games - especially against the Aussies. But McGuire'd be in on merit.

On another note, what a bloody procession that was last night! 74-0, glad I went out and didn't see it. Strange how a big win in footie is seen as a class above and enjoyable to watch but in RL it's boring. best thing about RL is two team knocking seven bells out of one another - like Australia v New Zealand a week on Sunday will hopefully be. When a match becomes a landslide, what's the point? Oh and very disappointed with the NRL Grand Final WTF were Melbourne doing? Some exquisite wing-play from Manly though and if only Saints could've produced something similar last week the trophy would have been ours. Ah well always next year........

He played a lot on the wing for Bratfurd and was sensational at times, although he could do a job at centre I'd be more prone to leaving him on the bench, he'd be useful in the interchange and could make an impact from there, particularly late on when we've lacked stamina in International games - especially against the Aussies. But McGuire'd be in on merit.

On another note, what a bloody procession that was last night! 74-0, glad I went out and didn't see it. Strange how a big win in footie is seen as a class above and enjoyable to watch but in RL it's boring. best thing about RL is two team knocking seven bells out of one another - like Australia v New Zealand a week on Sunday will hopefully be. When a match becomes a landslide, what's the point? Oh and very disappointed with the NRL Grand Final WTF were Melbourne doing? Some exquisite wing-play from Manly though and if only Saints could've produced something similar last week the trophy would have been ours. Ah well always next year........

I agree about big margin scorelines in RL - boring.

It's a shame we couldn't beat Leeds, it would've been great to see Jamie Lyon again...