New Signing for Sunday?

Tonights Chron :-

Athletic keep a close eye on the market, raising the chance that manager John Sheridan will recruit another new face before Sunday’s game.

Looks like Thommo wont be given a chance should Byrne not sign a new deal...

Thommo is definitely not playing on Sunday.

Possibly short term loan deal for a defender given our lack of numbers for Hereford. Though a guy unknown to Jacko and myself that sat by us at Stockport (No not Hughsey!), who it as to be said was very opinionated stated the club was back in for Heffernan and to watch this space.

Possibly short term loan deal for a defender given our lack of numbers for Hereford. Though a guy unknown to Jacko and myself that sat by us at Stockport (No not Hughsey!), who it as to be said was very opinionated stated the club was back in for Heffernan and to watch this space.

I was thinking whent his thread started, that I hope it is a striker we bring in... then I thought, dont be ridiculous, we have a hatful of them, then I thought whats the point of having a hatful of strikers if they are not scoring, then I thought we could ship out Wolfy, Thommo, O'Grady/Davies, on loan or summat and have enough cash to bring someone in... then I thought, I wish I won the lottery this weekend...

.. I have to say, I think with Jones, Byrne, Greegs, Lomax and Ruubes, we are ok at the back.... we have a load of midfielders and strikers who arent playing, so we will prob be ok there.... however, the bigest worry is that without Hughes we cant score, and hughes is pretty nobbed at the moment - I'd be looking at a goalscorer if there was cash available....

.... however, the bigest worry is that without Hughes we cant score, and hughes is pretty nobbed at the moment - I'd be looking at a goalscorer if there was cash available....

We keep being told Hughes will be OK for Sunday, so no need to worry at the moment.

On the other hand he could get injured by Gregan in training so, on reflection, best to keep worrying.

I was thinking whent his thread started, that I hope it is a striker we bring in... then I thought, dont be ridiculous, we have a hatful of them, then I thought whats the point of having a hatful of strikers if they are not scoring, then I thought we could ship out Wolfy, Thommo, O'Grady/Davies, on loan or summat and have enough cash to bring someone in... then I thought, I wish I won the lottery this weekend...

.. I have to say, I think with Jones, Byrne, Greegs, Lomax and Ruubes, we are ok at the back.... we have a load of midfielders and strikers who arent playing, so we will prob be ok there.... however, the bigest worry is that without Hughes we cant score, and hughes is pretty nobbed at the moment - I'd be looking at a goalscorer if there was cash available....

Would be nice to have a big strong target man, something that we have needed since we lost Porter....but how can the board sanction the signing of yet another striker.

I can't believe we can't perm two, from Hughes, Allesandra, O'Grady, Davies, and Wolfenden.

The problem is we have to much in potential and not enough in proven strikers!!

If we do get a striker in then Davies and O'Grady will have to go out on loan and play some competitive games.

Would be nice to have a big strong target man, something that we have needed since we lost Porter....but how can the board sanction the signing of yet another striker.

I can't believe we can't perm two, from Hughes, Allesandra, O'Grady, Davies, and Wolfenden.

The problem is we have to much in potential and not enough in proven strikers!!

If we do get a striker in then Davies and O'Grady will have to go out on loan and play some competitive games.

Let;s not forget we are top scorers in our League.

Let;s not forget we are top scorers in our League.

We might well be top scorers in our league Diego but we started the match on friday with a forward line that hadn't scored a league goal for us all season, and to be honest, if they were still playing now we would still be playing with a forward line that hadn't scored a league goal for us all season.

I think maybe Shez has seen enough of our "back-up" strikers and realises that we need a serious goalscorer who will get us 15-20 goals this season (with or without a part time Hughes). O`Grady and Davies won`t get 15-20 between them. Hence perhaps the Heffernan rumour?

Lewis is still learning and won`t score more than 5-10 goals, wolfenden is potentially a answer but really is too small and lightweight to every be a real danger.

So where do we go from here? If I am being radical I would loan out Davies and wolfenden until Jan, loan out the others that Shez doesn`t seem to want - Thompson, Kalala etc if possible and use all the available spare money saved on a proven striker, like heffernan or some other to back up Hughesy and give us a potent strike force that will get us promoted.

KTF

Whilst I accept O'Grady appears at the mo to be more an uncut diamond the lad does do some decent work on the park and may need time to find his feet. Davies scored plenty goals last season and whilst that doesn't guarantee he'll score that every season, he is getting into scoring positions even though his overall game doesn't seem quite there yet.

You also have to remember both these players are chumping on the bit to get a starting position which upto now this season isn't theirs. They are both showing signs of snatching in front of goal and maybe taking a shot on when a pass to a partner maybe best. Give um a chance to notch a few and watch a change in their shoulders. That said if opportunity arises to bring in proven talent you've got to look at least. As Heffernan pulled up any trees these past few seasons though?

Edited by Lags

Whilst I accept O'Grady appears at the mo to be more an uncut diamond the lad does do some decent work on the park and may need time to find his feet. Davies scored plenty goals last season and whilst that doesn't guarantee he'll score that every season, he is getting into scoring positions even though his overall game doesn't seem quite there yet.

You also have to remember both these players are chumping on the bit to get a starting position which upto now this season isn't theirs. They are both showing signs of snatching in front of goal and maybe taking a shot on when a pass to a partner maybe best. Give um a chance to notch a few and watch a change in their shoulders. That said if opportunity arises to bring in proven talent you've got to look at least. As Heffernan pulled up any trees these past few seasons though?

pretty good, realistic summary of lilly and craig :wink: