MEN - Darren Byfield [MERGED]

Hoping to conclude the signing of Byfield in next 48 hours..

Tonights Chron says striker unlikely to sign this week as the player in question would not be aloud to play in Fa Cup

please dont everyone bite my head off but this signing doesnt excite me?

not slagging him off before he starts I hope he does well for us and I am completly wrong

please dont everyone bite my head off but this signing doesnt excite me?

not slagging him off before he starts I hope he does well for us and I am completly wrong

Feel exactly the same, doesn't excite me at all and hope he proves me wrong if he does sign but just don't think he's the kind of striker we need at the moment.

Feel exactly the same, doesn't excite me at all and hope he proves me wrong if he does sign but just don't think he's the kind of striker we need at the moment.

Wikepedia suggests he might still have something to offer:

He scored 162 goals in the 2005-2006 season for the Gills, one short of the target set by manager Ronnie Jepson.
. Always set high standards did Ronnie.

Wikepedia suggests he might still have something to offer:

. Always set high standards did Ronnie.

how many signing at this level are exciting tho? u either end up with veterans who are past it, or journey men who have never been or ultra raw young lads akin to porter who may or may not come good. Hopefully he comes in and does well

He's not prolific I'll give you that.

Depends where you look. Wikipedia has the following on him...

He scored 162 goals in the 2005-2006 season for the Gills, one short of the target set by manager Ronnie Jepson.

3.5 goals a game is fairly prolific.

Edit: Leeslover got there first

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

He had a pretty decent goalscoring record at:-

Millwall 16 in 31

Gillingham 19 in 67

Rotherham 20 in 65

Sunderland 5 in 17

I still think he's a better option than some of the other strikers names that have been bandied about.

Hasn't even signed and he is :censored:E - Unbelievable!!!

Millwall 16 in 31

Gillingham 19 in 67

Rotherham 20 in 65

Sunderland 5 in 17

I still think he's a better option than some of the other strikers names that have been bandied about.

Aye them stats look rosey compared to his career stats. Not saying he's :censored:e, cos we havent seen him week in and week out to see what he's brought to his sides to date, but I wouldn't say he's prolific.

Hasn't even signed and he is :censored:E - Unbelievable!!!

:shock: WTF are you talking about. You might want to read the post before commenting.

I am pro his signing not against it, I selected and posted the best stats from his career profile.

You're right absolutely f :censored: g unbelievable.

:shock: WTF are you talking about. You might want to read the post before commenting.

I am pro his signing not against it, I selected and posted the best stats from his career profile.

You're right absolutely f :censored: g unbelievable.

Sorry mate, meant to just reply to the thread not your post

Theres at least two other clubs talking to Byfield, and one of them was infront of us in negotiations (although i dont know if thats still the case), It also depends on when/if Doncaster bring in a replacement - is what i was told last night.

Fits in with what Lordy said with the 50% chance of us getting him.

Millwall 16 in 31

Gillingham 19 in 67

Rotherham 20 in 65

Sunderland 5 in 17

Not bad, but hardly prolific at 1 in 3 - pretty much the same as Davis last season. 5 clubs in the last 4 seasons says more to me.

Underwhelming signing if it happens.

KtF,

Derek.

Did he play against us for Millwall last season? If so, i remember him being a real threat.

Yeah. He scored a penno (which never was) at the Chaddy End in an absolutely awful 1-2 defeat. This was the season before last though, and started our wobble which nearly saw us piss the play offs away.

Edit: and with regards to his strike record. Bear in mind most of them were for clubs in the Championship. Yes, even Rotherham and Gillingham.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of signing him then? Corney said we didn't need a striker until Hughes got suspended (presumably for the Cheltenham game) but Hughes will be back after Cheltenham so what's this "We need a striker out of desperation after Hughes got suspeneded"?

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of signing him then? Corney said we didn't need a striker until Hughes got suspended (presumably for the Cheltenham game) but Hughes will be back after Cheltenham so what's this "We need a striker out of desperation after Hughes got suspeneded"?

We were going to sign him anyway. It was mentioned before Saturday's game.