Byfield

When first mentioned about him i wasnt that bothered but now looking at our team he can bring what we need. Someone who will challenge for headers and hopefully hold play up,

Lewi is good at holding up play but only when the ball is played to his feet

Hughes doesnt seem to challenge for that many headers,

Wolfy is Wolfy

Smalley is a winger IMO

So Byfield I think we compliment Hughes or Lewi well

Hope he comes now

When first mentioned about him i wasnt that bothered but now looking at our team he can bring what we need. Someone who will challenge for headers and hopefully hold play up,

Lewi is good at holding up play but only when the ball is played to his feet

Hughes doesnt seem to challenge for that many headers,

Wolfy is Wolfy

Smalley is a winger IMO

So Byfield I think we compliment Hughes or Lewi well

Hope he comes now

He has to be a target man and be able to hold the ball up, if not, is he going to make that much difference?

I only hope for Shez's sake that this signing comes off as it could be the last roll of the dice!!

Byfield is not a target man, is not strong in the air, and isn't the type to hold the ball up.

We already have a player who can do all of the above but unfortunately he's down at Gigg Lane.

Byfield will be a pish poor signing, especially after COG hasn't been given a sniff of a chance.

E4e

JOKER

I don't thin Byfield is the answer either, a carbon copy of Chris Porter would do wonders for us.

Totally agree senor - wow, this is getting strange, and a little bit scary...

Byfield will be a waste of a signing... he is the same style of player as hughes and lewi, why on earth do we need another striker like this, when the problems in the other areas of the pitch mean that we just are not creating enough for a striker that plays 'off the shoulder' of a defender...

We need to either do two things - as coco says get a target man in, or secondly - play the damn 433 we finished at Chelts with, and Lew and hughesy can both do the central role - as could COG...

Utterly pointless signing another striker like byfield - and as has been said, stinks of desparation, and a ridiculous stubborness to stick to 442, and continue to endorse and play underperforming players.

Edited by BigfinLatic

Doncaster striker Darren Byfield seals Oldham move

By Football Spy 10/11/2008

Veteran striker Darren Byfield is set to join his 13th club this week, after sorting out a switch from Doncaster Rovers.

The 32-year-old, married to pop babe Jamelia, has been cleared to go to Oldham. The move is an initial loan with a view to a permanent deal.

wonder when we will confirm it then

Veteran striker Darren Byfield is set to join his 13th club this week, after sorting out a switch from Doncaster Rovers.

The 32-year-old, married to pop babe Jamelia, has been cleared to go to Oldham. The move is an initial loan with a view to a permanent deal.

sorry ive just seen this on the other post

13 clubs in one week tells it's own story I'm afraid.

Crazy decision by SOD in my opinion. Unfair to say he isn't good enough after only giving him 3 starts. He looked alright aswell, yes he missed a few chances and a sitter against Sheff Utd but it seems crazy to get rid of him. I've hardly seen him play so I can't tell you much about him. Certainly seems like a fall out with the manager.

Come on guys lets give Byfield a chance before hes even kicked a ball!

I dont think anyone is having a go at Byfield - I think he is a decent player. I'm having a go at the logic of signing a player when we have other strikers elsewhere, and a team with a misfiring midfield, and creaking defence.

My priorities are elsewhere, and would much rather see the obvious big chunk of money on byfield spent on getting in a top quality defender, and bringing back COG... who is a different type of player to Hughesy and Lewi...

Panic button IMO... oh dear, we arent playing well, lets sign another striker and give hi no service too. brilliant. <_<

I don't thin Byfield is the answer either, a carbon copy of Chris Porter would do wonders for us.

As much as I cannot deny Porter's record for Latics - he never looked like a threatening player to me and I was always convinced he would likely be a once season wonder anyway and was not too bothered when he went (except the financial implications).

But he has continued on great form since at Motherwell and his goals / game ratio at all 3 clubs is very impressive.