fa youth cup in geordie land

i know its a lot to ask, to travel all the way up here for a youth cup game...but is anyone planning to make the trip???

i dont want to be the only latic in the place!

Yes, I'm planning on driving down from Edinburgh with a Geordie mate, you won't be alone... although it is a big stadium isn't it?

I'll definately be coming in from Durham and plan to come straight from work to see if drink still tastes the same in the big smoke. How much noise can a handful of people make in a 52,000 all seater stadium? Hmmm....

Edit: And yes it is 7pm on the 9th December 2008.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

I'll definately be coming in from Durham and plan to come straight from work to see if drink still tastes the same in the big smoke. How much noise can a handful of people make in a 52,000 all seater stadium? Hmmm....

Edit: And yes it is 7pm on the 9th December 2008.

i have been to a few reserve matches at st james...and you would be surprised!

Me & My Dad will be making the trip up, getting off from work a bit earlier to travel up from Owdham.

anyone any idea of which stand will be open (guessing it'll be only 1 stand open??)

and, if there are a few Tic's, is there a decent pub near the ground we could meet up in? over to the Geordie land dwellers.........

Me & My Dad will be making the trip up, getting off from work a bit earlier to travel up from Owdham.

anyone any idea of which stand will be open (guessing it'll be only 1 stand open??)

and, if there are a few Tic's, is there a decent pub near the ground we could meet up in? over to the Geordie land dwellers.........

There is a pub called The Strawberry over the road from SJP - not advisable for 1st team games, but for a stiffs fixture I would think it is OK.

KtF,

Derek.

For pubs, the ground is in the City centre so there are absolutely bazillions to choose from.

If people are coming up/down by train then something nearer the station might be in order. Centurion is decent (in the train station) and The Forth Hotel. Nearer the ground Tilley's Bar is probably (definately) the best one, especially if anyone likes the odd real ale or two. More regular visitors than myself to the smoke might know of better ones to meet up at though.

Centurion: http://www.centurion-newcastle.co.uk/bar.asp

Tilley's Bar: http://www.theheadofsteam.co.uk/default.aspx?tabid=10303

For pubs, the ground is in the City centre so there are absolutely bazillions to choose from.

If people are coming up/down by train then something nearer the station might be in order. Centurion is decent (in the train station) and The Forth Hotel. Nearer the ground Tilley's Bar is probably (definately) the best one, especially if anyone likes the odd real ale or two. More regular visitors than myself to the smoke might know of better ones to meet up at though.

Centurion: http://www.centurion-newcastle.co.uk/bar.asp

Tilley's Bar: http://www.theheadofsteam.co.uk/default.aspx?tabid=10303

aye the head of steam is a cracking place...right near the train station too...the strawberry is a good pub as well and should be fine for a game like this

The strawberry looks as rough as anything whenever I've walked past (but then again there hasn't been any game on at the time). I'm not familar with the head of steam/Tilley's but then again students are known for their love of real ale and its round the back of the Gate (Newcastle's version of the printworks) so that gets chosen for a drink or several if there is something going on in that area. There are loads of bars/pubs in Newcastle between the station and St. James's as there is no obvious direct route and a slight detour to the infamous Bigg Market might be appropriate if we are celebrating at the end. However one route from the station to the stadium takes you through a bar district known as the Pink where the regulars prefer the company of other men at more times than standard.

ok...how about i make a suggestion...everyone who is coming meet up at 5 at the strawberry pub...literally behind the stadium opposite shearers bar...for a drink, or three before the game, then we can all go in together and make a decent atmosphere!

I'd suggest the same. Well, except Tilley's and 4pm :D .

I'd suggest the same. Well, except Tilley's and 4pm :D .

It'd have to be 5pm for me by the time i get up there, but which one should we go for?? Tileys (with the real ale) has swung it for me like - but i do think we should look to meet up as there won't be many of us & going to ground "as 1 group" sounds like a plan so we can all sit together as a Latics block (or 20 seats more like!!)

It'd have to be 5pm for me by the time i get up there, but which one should we go for?? Tileys (with the real ale) has swung it for me like - but i do think we should look to meet up as there won't be many of us & going to ground "as 1 group" sounds like a plan so we can all sit together as a Latics block (or 20 seats more like!!)

Plus it beats drinking on your own in a pub.

• 2 weeks later...
Bit of a bump action going on. So I take it the plan at the mo is to meet up in the 'head of steam'/tilley's at around 4 and then head on to the ground from there. (Some by different methods to others though I'm afraid)

aye good bump!

sounds like a plan...tho i am playing in a 5 a side tournament until 4 so will be down there about 5